Starting an overall Android FAQ
I've been in car stereo forever, and also app development for mobile devices, and didn't really look into Android in the car until recently. Knowing there are plenty of developers out there looking to write the next app, I'm thinking we should invent some requirements to determine what needs to be done/improved to get the Android working in the car. Also, we should break down a FAQ into sections to understand what apps or mods are needed to handle each thing. Some of these are touched on in the posts, but we need to pool it all together.
1) Shutting down/turning on with ignition. Power issues
2) Audio output for car. Stereo vs surround, Blue Tooth vs Hardwired. Different audio outputs per device. At this point I really don't know what time of sound processing these devices are capable of internally or externally.
3) GPS options. Built-in vs wireless tower tracking vs bluetooth or other external options
4) Mapping/navigation (loosely linked to GPS). Google maps vs 3rd party apps. voice navigation, etc.
5) Back-up camera options. Hardwired, bluetooth, etc. Perhaps crash monitoring cam's that react from a certain g-force setting?
6) Anti-theft options (creative use of 3rd party apps, locators, picture taking, etc)
7) OBD (interface into car system for display of car information RPM, speed, engine codes, etc)
8) CAN Bus/iBus, etc. Interfacing into steering wheel controls or advanced car control (heat/ac/temp/etc)
9) Network connectivity - Wifi, 3g/4g, built-in vs bluetooth network devices, perhaps pcmcia or some other type devices. Possibly tethering to another phone/device
10) Hardware docks - plugs/and or physical modifications to help the tablets slide in or out vs permanent mount
11) CD/DVD/Bluray. Are there physical devices/existing car changers, standalone network devices, BT devices, etc, that could provide physical playback of a media through Android
12) User Interface options - different apps or mods to make the look/feel more "dashboard"-like in a car.
13) Android utility apps/foundation apps - apps that stop the screen from sleeping, auto setting brightness based on time of day, locational settings, etc. Event triggering, etc.
14) Car friendly apps (easy to navigate/provides in-vehicle benefit).
I'm sure there are some more categories, but those are the ones I am thinking about. Need to crawl through the forum and start to compile. But we should make the list as a) what works today, b) what should be tweaked or developed for the future because of a lack of apps or lack of functionality