Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Tablet car mount - Turning on and off automatically

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3

    Lightbulb Tablet car mount - Turning on and off automatically

    Hello,

    I'm currently planning to mount a Archos 5 Tablet PC into my car. The 5" fits very well onto the stock mobile phone deck. The audio is transmitted via normal Aux-in. My only problem is the powering. At the moment I thought of two possibilites:
    1. Connecting the tablet power to the ignition switched car power. The advantage is, that it will only charge when the key is turned, so the car battery will never drain. The screen could be switched on and off via the power switch event with an app like Llama. The disadvantage is that the tablet will not be charged when the car is not started. So after a few days without driving it has to be switched on again manually. Plus the Archos needs a long time to charge via USB.
    2. The power of the tablet is connected to the permanent car power. Then the tablet pc will be available all the time. I guess the power consumption is low enough that the car battery drainage will not be a problem. Now my problem: How do I switch the screen on and off automatically in this scenario?

    Thxs and greetings
    Acky

  2. #2
    Low Bitrate aziodale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Italy Sicily Palermo
    Posts
    66
    search about tasker app ;-)

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by aziodale View Post
    search about tasker app ;-)
    I know Tasker. I tried Llama which, as I understand, is pretty much the same but for free. My problem is: Which events do I use? It must be an event which is equal to starting and stopping the car?

  4. #4
    Mo' Programming Mo' Problems
    Auto Apps:loading...
    Sonicxtacy02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Woodbridge, VA
    Posts
    8,168
    Blog Entries
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by Acky View Post
    I know Tasker. I tried Llama which, as I understand, is pretty much the same but for free. My problem is: Which events do I use? It must be an event which is equal to starting and stopping the car?
    I know nothing about llama but tasker is absolutely worth it. You create a profile to detect power, basically saying when charging AND bluetooth (if you're connecting a phone) or GPS (has signal, meaning your likely in the car) active, leave screen on until charging stops (ignition off).
    mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
    Find my plugins on the MP3Car App Store!
    Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
    Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

  5. #5
    Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3
    Yes, that's what I explained in step 1. But what if the tablet runs out of battery? It will shut down and Tasker will not work anymore. If you charge it constantly, you have no charging/not charging event.

  6. #6
    Newbie crutonius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by Acky View Post
    Hello,

    I'm currently planning to mount a Archos 5 Tablet PC into my car. The 5" fits very well onto the stock mobile phone deck. The audio is transmitted via normal Aux-in. My only problem is the powering. At the moment I thought of two possibilites:
    1. Connecting the tablet power to the ignition switched car power. The advantage is, that it will only charge when the key is turned, so the car battery will never drain. The screen could be switched on and off via the power switch event with an app like Llama. The disadvantage is that the tablet will not be charged when the car is not started. So after a few days without driving it has to be switched on again manually. Plus the Archos needs a long time to charge via USB.
    2. The power of the tablet is connected to the permanent car power. Then the tablet pc will be available all the time. I guess the power consumption is low enough that the car battery drainage will not be a problem. Now my problem: How do I switch the screen on and off automatically in this scenario?

    Thxs and greetings
    Acky
    Android tablets don't actually draw enough power to make running down the battery a concern. Mine can go about a week with it plugged in. Getting a tablet to cooperate with these events can be a little trial and error as the behavior changes a little with model and android version. You can use tasker to respond to the charging event. I think the event is under power usb is charging or something like that. It's not too hard to find. Also I had to use Screebl to actually keep the screen on.

    Also you can add an event to start and stop playback of your music automatically. The problem with this though is that tasker will only send a toggle for play/pause. So unfortunately the state can get confused for whatever reason and you'll be playing when your car is off and stopped when your car is on.

    I started by using tasker and the charge events but I eventually moved on to using an arduino for the power state and Poweramp because it has an sdk so I can send it actual play/pause and not just a toggle.

  7. #7
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    1
    hi there,

    i had the same problem too. i recently found an app at Google Play which is exactly for that purpose. It is called Autosleeper Auto power ON-OFF. here are some basic features:
    - Your Tablet goes automatically to Stand By mode when you turn off the car engine
    - The Song you were listening to Pauses
    - When you turn on the engine the Tablet goes On again without pressing the Power Button:
    - Your GPS is on again
    - Your music continues exactly where you had left it

    i think it's a fantastic app for this purpose and extra simple in use!
    greetings from Athens

  8. #8
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    305
    That looks like a nice app! Going to have to try it out.

  9. #9
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Herákleion, Iraklion, Greece, Greece
    Posts
    333
    if the tablet is at full charge, then it drows ultra low current... you can download an app like "current widget" or something like that, and (at least in my case), it sed, that it drows about 5mA when at full charge and sleep.... (not neccecery true, but its something that small anyway).
    The only catch on this, is you should be ABSOLUTLY sure, that the tablet is on Deep sleep. if you have an app, that does not "close" when you turn off the screen, then the consumption will be higher( BUT all together, it will still be small).

    As to auto turn on or off, you can do what i have done: wire the tablet directly to power, and interrupt that power, with a relay, when the ignition turns on. that way the tablet will always be charged, and stop being charged when you turn on the engine... if you dont drive more than 2-3 hours, then this should work just fine..

    then, on tasker, you can have a profile like: state->power on(invert) : turn on the screen. and state->power on : turn off the screen.
    you will also need the secure settings plugin, in order to do that

    tbh, i never liked the idea, of having a switching power supply (12v to 5v) constantly working inside the car, when you are not arround... make sure you buy a good one, so you dont risk any fires

  10. #10
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    4

    New app

    Quote Originally Posted by settra View Post
    if the tablet is at full charge, then it drows ultra low current... you can download an app like "current widget" or something like that, and (at least in my case), it sed, that it drows about 5mA when at full charge and sleep.... (not neccecery true, but its something that small anyway).
    The only catch on this, is you should be ABSOLUTLY sure, that the tablet is on Deep sleep. if you have an app, that does not "close" when you turn off the screen, then the consumption will be higher( BUT all together, it will still be small).

    As to auto turn on or off, you can do what i have done: wire the tablet directly to power, and interrupt that power, with a relay, when the ignition turns on. that way the tablet will always be charged, and stop being charged when you turn on the engine... if you dont drive more than 2-3 hours, then this should work just fine..

    then, on tasker, you can have a profile like: state->power on(invert) : turn on the screen. and state->power on : turn off the screen.
    you will also need the secure settings plugin, in order to do that

    tbh, i never liked the idea, of having a switching power supply (12v to 5v) constantly working inside the car, when you are not arround... make sure you buy a good one, so you dont risk any fires

    I have a tablet install on my car for years now…. Tablet never goes “dead” because a charge. I use an app called “My Profiles”; there’s a lot those on the market;
    My is setup this way:
    The tablet is connected to the cigarette lither (on my car is off when the car is off) some cars are different (always on).

    I created a “rule” in the app called “Power On”: so when I turned the car on the rule activates a profile called “charging” and when I turned the car off the rule activates a profile called “sleep”.

    Profile “charging” setup: turns on: wifi (data), Bluetooth, change media volume (turn up), change brightness on the screen and start a navigation app.

    Profile “sleep” setup: turn on Airplane mode (shuts off data, and Bluetooth), close any app, change media volume (almost mute), change screen to sleep mode.

    This setup works like a charm, basically, when the car is on everything that I use is on and when I turn the car off tablet goes to sleep to conserve battery.

Similar Threads

  1. 2009 Altima Dash Mount Android Tablet PC
    By hexxamillion in forum Show off your project
    Replies: 428
    Last Post: 10-15-2013, 04:42 PM
  2. How to mount tablet PC into visor?
    By fitzy75 in forum Fabrication
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-09-2011, 03:02 AM
  3. Simple Mount (Flexible or Suction) for Tablet PC
    By kchilaka in forum Laptops, Netbooks, Tablets, UMPCs, etc.
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-20-2007, 11:21 AM
  4. 2004 Nissan Altima - another Laptop/Tablet mount
    By khuongphihoang in forum Worklogs
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-21-2007, 06:27 PM
  5. hp tc1100 tablet and dock dash-mount
    By bask0g in forum Laptops, Netbooks, Tablets, UMPCs, etc.
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-26-2004, 09:43 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •