search about tasker app ;-)
I'm currently planning to mount a Archos 5 Tablet PC into my car. The 5" fits very well onto the stock mobile phone deck. The audio is transmitted via normal Aux-in. My only problem is the powering. At the moment I thought of two possibilites:
1. Connecting the tablet power to the ignition switched car power. The advantage is, that it will only charge when the key is turned, so the car battery will never drain. The screen could be switched on and off via the power switch event with an app like Llama. The disadvantage is that the tablet will not be charged when the car is not started. So after a few days without driving it has to be switched on again manually. Plus the Archos needs a long time to charge via USB.
2. The power of the tablet is connected to the permanent car power. Then the tablet pc will be available all the time. I guess the power consumption is low enough that the car battery drainage will not be a problem. Now my problem: How do I switch the screen on and off automatically in this scenario?
Thxs and greetings
Yes, that's what I explained in step 1. But what if the tablet runs out of battery? It will shut down and Tasker will not work anymore. If you charge it constantly, you have no charging/not charging event.
Also you can add an event to start and stop playback of your music automatically. The problem with this though is that tasker will only send a toggle for play/pause. So unfortunately the state can get confused for whatever reason and you'll be playing when your car is off and stopped when your car is on.
I started by using tasker and the charge events but I eventually moved on to using an arduino for the power state and Poweramp because it has an sdk so I can send it actual play/pause and not just a toggle.
i had the same problem too. i recently found an app at Google Play which is exactly for that purpose. It is called Autosleeper Auto power ON-OFF. here are some basic features:
- Your Tablet goes automatically to Stand By mode when you turn off the car engine
- The Song you were listening to Pauses
- When you turn on the engine the Tablet goes On again without pressing the Power Button:
- Your GPS is on again
- Your music continues exactly where you had left it
i think it's a fantastic app for this purpose and extra simple in use!
greetings from Athens
That looks like a nice app! Going to have to try it out.
if the tablet is at full charge, then it drows ultra low current... you can download an app like "current widget" or something like that, and (at least in my case), it sed, that it drows about 5mA when at full charge and sleep.... (not neccecery true, but its something that small anyway).
The only catch on this, is you should be ABSOLUTLY sure, that the tablet is on Deep sleep. if you have an app, that does not "close" when you turn off the screen, then the consumption will be higher( BUT all together, it will still be small).
As to auto turn on or off, you can do what i have done: wire the tablet directly to power, and interrupt that power, with a relay, when the ignition turns on. that way the tablet will always be charged, and stop being charged when you turn on the engine... if you dont drive more than 2-3 hours, then this should work just fine..
then, on tasker, you can have a profile like: state->power on(invert) : turn on the screen. and state->power on : turn off the screen.
you will also need the secure settings plugin, in order to do that
tbh, i never liked the idea, of having a switching power supply (12v to 5v) constantly working inside the car, when you are not arround... make sure you buy a good one, so you dont risk any fires
I have a tablet install on my car for years now…. Tablet never goes “dead” because a charge. I use an app called “My Profiles”; there’s a lot those on the market;
My is setup this way:
The tablet is connected to the cigarette lither (on my car is off when the car is off) some cars are different (always on).
I created a “rule” in the app called “Power On”: so when I turned the car on the rule activates a profile called “charging” and when I turned the car off the rule activates a profile called “sleep”.
Profile “charging” setup: turns on: wifi (data), Bluetooth, change media volume (turn up), change brightness on the screen and start a navigation app.
Profile “sleep” setup: turn on Airplane mode (shuts off data, and Bluetooth), close any app, change media volume (almost mute), change screen to sleep mode.
This setup works like a charm, basically, when the car is on everything that I use is on and when I turn the car off tablet goes to sleep to conserve battery.