Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 114
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Double Din Friendly Tablet

  1. #51
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    27
    Most tablets don't have a separable bezel, just one big glass front...

  2. #52
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    164
    Personally I think that removing the bezel from a tablet is doing yourself a disservice.

    As has been discussed ad nausem, tablets have limitations that many "traditional" carPCs do not. Of course, they also have benefits over those same carPCs, including startup times, ease of installation, bright and responsive displays, and (IMO the biggest one) portability. You can build the best ever carPC, but it's just that - a computer in the car. A tablet has the unique ability to leave it's carPC shell and travel with you into the house, on a plane, at the office, etc.

    In this way, a tablet carPC is also an incredibly inexpensive option, as you already have the tablet for uses X, Y, and Z. By paying relatively little to retrofit your car to "tablet-ready" status, you've got a very decent carPC solution.

    Removing the bezel (if even possible as Cesco noted) kinda smashes our ability to do this, and kills a lot of the inherent benefits of a tablet carPC solution in the first place.

  3. #53
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    32
    Removing the bezel may not be smart if the function buttons (home, back, menu and search) reside on it (like with the Samsung Galaxy Tab). Again software based buttons (usually placed in Android's notification bar) are the alternative to physical buttons. The big problem with that is most likely the app you're running is fullscreen and/or not designed with the ability to access it's menu/settings and exit button without the need of the standard function buttons. You'll be stuck running just that app until you can reset the device or find a way to press the menu or back button.

    Needless to say, you're going to need always access to the function buttons when using an Android tablet as a car infotainment solution.

  4. #54
    Mod - iPad Forums RipplingHurst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Danville, CA
    Posts
    2,161
    http://en.store.creative.com/product...=948&pid=20231

    I don't there's any physical buttons there? Seems like there's some emphasis on the audio quality on this one. Interesting, but resistive?

    As for removing the bezel, not sure how much room your going to gain doing this, since those things are packed already? Post pics in a work log when you do it!

  5. #55
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    151
    Quote Originally Posted by HIGHGRADE View Post
    i am thinking of using an android tablet for my next install but plan to disassemble the tablet take it off the bezel so that it fits in a double din, what you guys think.

    PS i plan to use the creative ziio 7 it has xfi built in.
    That's a brave endeavor. As was mentioned by others, these things are so integrated and compact it'll make for a difficult challenge. Personally, I wouldn't hack up a newly purchased tablet like that. If you do it, just take pics and document so others may follow.

  6. #56
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    95
    Why would installing a tablet behind the bezel defeat the purpose of it? You're re-purposing it for another use as a in-car media/communications hub. You would only be loosing use of the rear mounted camera.

    I'm not sure how many devices you can have connected via Bluetooth, but OBD-II and Hands-free calling are built-in advantages over your standard CarPC.

    Google Maps with Navigation is superior to just about any commercially available software and is included with the price of your phone. Again another advantage over a CarPC.

    There's a Sirius app for Android, I don't have much use for FM or AM radio for that matter. On top of that Pandora and Slacker, no need for traditional media playback and with 32GB microSD cards that's plenty of space for your media, even full length movies.

    With ORB you can place shift with your home PC with a TV Tuner.

    Not to mention you have HSPA internet which I have found to be on par with $20/mo DSL.

    Car Home solves some of the interface issues.

    The only thing that's not totally solved is how to interface it with your audio system. If you have Ford Sync, Nissan's A2DP supported or GM A2DP supported audio systems then that's not much of a problem. With interface devices like the ones offered by JL Audio or Rockford-Fosgate, you can keep your OEM Bluetooth enabled audio system but add aftermarket amps and speakers as needed.

    You would have to install an aftermarket head unit that supports streaming but only a handful of cars even have the additional dash real estate to support this. What's why I would be open to just putting the unit on the windshield.

    Garmin now makes a GPS with a 7" screen, I don't think mounting a Galaxy Tablet like that would look any different and then its removable.

    My 2 centavos.

  7. #57
    Mod - iPad Forums RipplingHurst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Danville, CA
    Posts
    2,161
    I agree with the above, mostly. It's perfectly fine to just leave it there behind the bezel - I just did not understand yet the need to remove the bezel yet. One of the reasons a tablet may not work is if your wife does not agree with the need to carry it with her every time she takes the car, for example.

  8. #58
    The Last Good Gremlin GizmoQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    St Louis
    Posts
    2,348
    Quote Originally Posted by jr4284 View Post
    Personally I think that removing the bezel from a tablet is doing yourself a disservice.
    Agreed, but everyone has their own needs and goal to achieve. Turbocad6 achieved an outstanding OEM look with his and he didn't give a damn it wasn't removable.

    Quote Originally Posted by jr4284 View Post
    As has been discussed ad nausem, tablets have limitations that many "traditional" carPCs do not. Of course, they also have benefits over those same carPCs, including startup times, ease of installation, bright and responsive displays, and (IMO the biggest one) portability. You can build the best ever carPC, but it's just that - a computer in the car. A tablet has the unique ability to leave it's carPC shell and travel with you into the house, on a plane, at the office, etc.

    In this way, a tablet carPC is also an incredibly inexpensive option, as you already have the tablet for uses X, Y, and Z. By paying relatively little to retrofit your car to "tablet-ready" status, you've got a very decent carPC solution.
    I was with you right up to the "very decent" part. My tablet is an outstanding, full featured, CarPC in all three of my cars.

    Quote Originally Posted by djfourmoney View Post
    There's a Sirius app for Android, I don't have much use for FM or AM radio for that matter. On top of that Pandora and Slacker, no need for traditional media playback and with 32GB microSD cards that's plenty of space for your media, even full length movies.

    With ORB you can place shift with your home PC with a TV Tuner.

    Not to mention you have HSPA internet which I have found to be on par with $20/mo DSL.
    That's all well and good in the big city, but on the road and small towns internet (cellular and wifi) is iffy at best. 32GB doesn't come anywhere near my needs.
    HARDWARE: Fujitsu Stylistic ST5111w/WiFi and dock, internal Hitachi 500G HD, external 1TB HD, Sierra Wireless Aircard 550, DVD-RW, BoomzBox HD radio, XM Commander, Delorme GPS, Saitek X-52 Pro joystick, BluSoleil Bluetooth, TPMS, FB, Elm327

  9. #59
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by RipplingHurst View Post
    I agree with the above, mostly. It's perfectly fine to just leave it there behind the bezel - I just did not understand yet the need to remove the bezel yet. One of the reasons a tablet may not work is if your wife does not agree with the need to carry it with her every time she takes the car, for example.
    Depends on the woman I suppose, WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) or the WAR Dept as my homie Thomas calls it, seems to be an issue on many tech oriented forums, usually to do with replacing your standard home DVR with a Media Center PC, adding Automation to the home, performance modifications, suspension modifications, etc, etc.

    I'm not married and currently don't have a GF, but in the past I have one basic requirement, claim indifference or be supportive, women that question things like personalized license plates and aftermarket wheels need not apply, there are plenty of Metrosexual types to date if that's what they want.

    I've found European women more supportive of my modding habit than American Women, go figure.

  10. #60
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by GizmoQ View Post
    That's all well and good in the big city, but on the road and small towns internet (cellular and wifi) is iffy at best. 32GB doesn't come anywhere near my needs.
    Radio in Rural Areas makes me puke, which is why when I drove trucks (JB Hunt, etc) I had Sirius. Its just Audio, I believe it still works with EDGE. AT&T claims this huge national network and so do the other carriers, my phones have always worked, maybe not 3G speed but they work.

    You can have backup systems, I was thinking if your using the Google Maps Navigation function of the tablet you would be streaming audio and hands-free via Bluetooth. You could have a redundant system ready to go in the case of a drop in coverage. Google Maps Navigation still works without a phone signal or WiFi as far as I can tell anyway.

    If you have Ford Sync then you still have an audio system, you would have to break the Bluetooth audio link however. I think the same goes with aftermarket units, though I have been told that Pioneer and Kenwood head units with Blueooth will attn the audio of whatever source your using when Google Maps prompts and then returns to full volume.

    With a tablet you wouldn't be using your phone anyway unless you got a WiFi unit, but you would only be saving $100. Sell your Android phone for $100 if its fairly new. Not sure how you would carry it with you, but with your Bluetooth headset, I don't think making or receiving calls is an issue with the Galaxy Tablet.

    I think I can give up some overall integration for portability and convergence.
    md134 likes this.

Similar Threads

  1. 2007 Chrysler Sebring Double Din Bezel??
    By kb9kst in forum Fabrication
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-18-2008, 09:53 AM
  2. 2001 Jetta Single DIN to Double DIN???
    By thisbejoe7 in forum Newbie
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-30-2008, 10:42 AM
  3. double din depth... plz contribute.
    By rudels in forum Fabrication
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-26-2008, 05:31 PM
  4. 8 inch Widescreen LCD in double Din
    By Dimlow_UK in forum LCD/Display
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 11-06-2007, 07:31 AM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-01-2006, 08:43 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •