Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415161718192021 LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 210

Thread: Apple iPad

  1. #141
    The Last Good Gremlin GizmoQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    St Louis
    Posts
    2,348
    Quote Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
    don't touch him!! appleitis could spread through contact...we need to conduct more tests.

    i would have told him it was a prebeta test of the next gen ipad, with a "app-mobile" screen setup
    WHOA, hold the quarantine up a minute. I've had my shots. About 15 years ago during the resurgence of the Mac I got all my vaccines and they threw in a free vasectomy. So I know I'm not infected (nor will I spawn any apple fanboys).
    HARDWARE: Fujitsu Stylistic ST5111w/WiFi and dock, internal Hitachi 500G HD, external 1TB HD, Sierra Wireless Aircard 550, DVD-RW, BoomzBox HD radio, XM Commander, Delorme GPS, Saitek X-52 Pro joystick, BluSoleil Bluetooth, TPMS, FB, Elm327

  2. #142
    Who am I? HiJackZX1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    6,557
    lol.... you were prepared. All though i do like playing doctor.

    *puts on rubber gloves*
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

    1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

  3. #143
    Admin. Linux loser.
    Auto Apps:loading...
    Bugbyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Corning, NY
    Posts
    7,359
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by GizmoQ View Post
    Its bad enough that the noobs in this thread wanna call an iPad a CarPC without doing anything to it - throw it in any kinda way and bluetooth the audio to your headunit (Poof, instant CarPC)
    Slippery slope alert! Please provide the definition of car computer?
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruzer View Post
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

  4. #144
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    164
    So far I am very happy with the iPad as a carputer. It was significantly easier to get up and running than your traditional setup.

    Maybe I was on the lighter end of carputing in the first place, but it does the audio, the video, internet access, GPS, digital gauges, data logging (intended for track days but could be used anywhere), and I've even used it as the biggest iPhone ever -- thanks to Skype.

    Yes, all this stuff can be done on your "traditional" carputer, but here's what it took to get it up and running:
    -Mounting solution (direct replacement for OEM bezel/vents snaps right in, uses same screws)
    -Run power (a cigarette lighter USB adapter spliced into power somewhere, hook up your 30 pin connector and we're done)
    -Run audio (a single 3.5mm cable to your equalizer)
    ..
    ...
    ....
    done.

    When I pulled my existing carputer out to put this in, you should have seen the rats nest of cables. 4 USB cables, USB extenders, VGA, power, a power controller, the computer (which I had to hack up to make it start up/shut down with me), mounting solution, Lilliput display, 3G dongle, GPS antenna... you get the idea.

    For the lighter carputer user, the iPad is a fantastic solution and is unequivocally a carputer in my mind. It's just an added bonus that it's also an iPad and you can pop it out of your car and use it anywhere else too... something other carputers can't do.

  5. #145
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    112
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by jr4284 View Post
    So far I am very happy with the iPad as a carputer. It was significantly easier to get up and running than your traditional setup.

    Maybe I was on the lighter end of carputing in the first place, but it does the audio, the video, internet access, GPS, digital gauges, data logging (intended for track days but could be used anywhere), and I've even used it as the biggest iPhone ever -- thanks to Skype.

    Yes, all this stuff can be done on your "traditional" carputer, but here's what it took to get it up and running:
    -Mounting solution (direct replacement for OEM bezel/vents snaps right in, uses same screws)
    -Run power (a cigarette lighter USB adapter spliced into power somewhere, hook up your 30 pin connector and we're done)
    -Run audio (a single 3.5mm cable to your equalizer)
    ..
    ...
    ....
    done.

    When I pulled my existing carputer out to put this in, you should have seen the rats nest of cables. 4 USB cables, USB extenders, VGA, power, a power controller, the computer (which I had to hack up to make it start up/shut down with me), mounting solution, Lilliput display, 3G dongle, GPS antenna... you get the idea.

    For the lighter carputer user, the iPad is a fantastic solution and is unequivocally a carputer in my mind. It's just an added bonus that it's also an iPad and you can pop it out of your car and use it anywhere else too... something other carputers can't do.
    I must be infected because I agree with you completely.I also know it does not a lot of skill and planning(some) to integrate this into the car like a PC. I respect everyones opinions but if the product they use fits their needs, why hate on it?

  6. #146
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by VegasNate View Post
    I must be infected because I agree with you completely.I also know it does not a lot of skill and planning(some) to integrate this into the car like a PC. I respect everyones opinions but if the product they use fits their needs, why hate on it?
    ONE OF US...

    ONE OF US...



    ONE OF US...

    ONE OF US...


    (j/k, I was doing an impartial judgement, but who doesn't love a zombie cat?)

  7. #147
    High Voltage blk02si's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Motorcity
    Posts
    2,262
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugbyte View Post
    Slippery slope alert! Please provide the definition of car computer?
    He is my definition:

    Car Computer: A computer system designed and used specifically in an automotive application, that is integrated physically and electronically to provide data to the driver or passengers in the form of entertainment, critical vehicle systems, GPS positioning and network connectivity. The computer system should be able to perform in the same range of conditions as the vehicle itself including vibration, temperature and capability. The system should be designed and installed with safety in mind and not infringe upon safety measures set forth by the vehicle manufacturer.

    Example:

    Uninstalled Ford Car Computer:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Build Things, it keeps your brain busy.

    AutoPC v1 (Retired) - AutoPC v2 (in progress) - www.shocknet.us

  8. #148
    High Voltage blk02si's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Motorcity
    Posts
    2,262
    Blog Entries
    1
    Hopefully this clears some things up as I do not consider a bungee corded iPad a "Car Computer".

    Using this same mentality everyone carrying an iPhone in their pocket while driving could be said to have a "car computer".

    I believe my definition to have some validity as I manufacture "car computers"

    Until I see a physically integrated iPad, I don't believe it to be a true car computer.
    Build Things, it keeps your brain busy.

    AutoPC v1 (Retired) - AutoPC v2 (in progress) - www.shocknet.us

  9. #149
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by blk02si View Post
    He is my definition:

    Car Computer: A computer system designed and used specifically in an automotive application, that is integrated physically and electronically to provide data to the driver or passengers in the form of entertainment, critical vehicle systems, GPS positioning and network connectivity. The computer system should be able to perform in the same range of conditions as the vehicle itself including vibration, temperature and capability. The system should be designed and installed with safety in mind and not infringe upon safety measures set forth by the vehicle manufacturer.

    Example:

    Uninstalled Ford Car Computer:
    I like your definition a lot, actually.

    A few things:

    1) would you consider this an appropriate integration: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwKnB...layer_embedded
    Safety is certainly in mind.
    Temperature I haven't experienced any issues to date, but I haven't subjected it to 130 degree temperatures either. My carputer, however, DOES have issues when it is super cold -- the display, anyway.

    2) Your definition has two components:
    - Physical Integration
    - Functionality

    You actually admitted in your definition that, functionally, the iPad meets all of the requirements.
    The only delta between the iPad and your definition of a carputer is the physical integration. With mounting solutions coming out day by day (I don't consider a bungee a mounting solution, FWIW), we should be there soon enough. I'm curious if you consider my solution "integrated" as well. It uses all of the stock mounting locations, screws, snaps. Only the "retainer tabs" are new to the design, and they have been designed purposefully to withstand substantial force.

  10. #150
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    112
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by blk02si View Post
    Hopefully this clears some things up as I do not consider a bungee corded iPad a "Car Computer".

    Using this same mentality everyone carrying an iPhone in their pocket while driving could be said to have a "car computer".

    I believe my definition to have some validity as I manufacture "car computers"

    Until I see a physically integrated iPad, I don't believe it to be a true car computer.
    Now define "physically integrated"

    http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=14314&page=17

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •