Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 180

Thread: ipad build

  1. #81
    MySQL Error soundman98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    on the border of northern IL/IN
    Posts
    5,820
    Quote Originally Posted by justchat_1 View Post
    * Safe to use while driving
    imo, this is the biggest one, and my biggest reason why the ipad shouldn't be used while driving. even if someone comes up with a mod to just make the icons bigger, it would make the ipad much safer while in motion.

    if there was a fe that got designed for the ipad, then the biggest issues i see is screen glare(i am sure that you could get a overlay somewhere to fix this), external device attachment, and media storage, and it could become a decent solution for someone looking for a basic incar solution.

    but, with every new solution, comes a new problem--media storage-- when you run out of space for media what happens(16 and 32gb isn't enough for most of us)?

    carputer: if i run out of storage, i get a new hard drive with a larger capacity, and either add it as a storage drive, or use one of the many drive swap programs to swap my os, and files over to the new, larger drive.

    for ipad: i either need to get a larger model, assuming that there is one with more space available, or get a wireless hdd in my car to hold all that data, and then create a adhoc network. Or I can get the usb adapter, and a usb external drive(which can have their own special needs for getting power).

    correct me if i am wrong, but once the ipad is connected to a wireless media drive via a adhoc network, you wouldn't be able to connect to wifi anywhere-- you would first have to disconnect from the hard drive, and then connect to the wireless internet. what about using the 3g? are those separate connections, or can the ipad only use 1 at a time?

  2. #82
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    151
    Wow! This is one long a** argument. It's really getting tired ... these iPad vs Car PC arguments. At the end of the day it all comes down to personal choice. There are a million Car PC installs that I've seen that are so different and the iPad is just one variation. Everyone has difference core functionalities they want out of their Car PC, so saying a Car PC should be able to to XYZ is presumptuous. My opinion is device neutral... I just believe each person should just do their research and choose the set up they think is best for their needs. Doesn't matter whether it's Mac, Windows, Linux, iPod, iPad etc. Also who cares about whether it can be called a Car PC etc. All that matters is that there's a function needed and that device is fulfilling that need.

  3. #83
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
    carputer: if i run out of storage, i get a new hard drive with a larger capacity, and either add it as a storage drive, or use one of the many drive swap programs to swap my os, and files over to the new, larger drive.

    for ipad: i either need to get a larger model, assuming that there is one with more space available, or get a wireless hdd in my car to hold all that data, and then create a adhoc network. Or I can get the usb adapter, and a usb external drive(which can have their own special needs for getting power).

    correct me if i am wrong, but once the ipad is connected to a wireless media drive via a adhoc network, you wouldn't be able to connect to wifi anywhere-- you would first have to disconnect from the hard drive, and then connect to the wireless internet. what about using the 3g? are those separate connections, or can the ipad only use 1 at a time?
    I would be accessing my home server for most of my media. Otherwise even the 64GB would be too limited. While not as simple as attaching an external HDD (tho maybe more simple as you don't have to splice in any more power circuits), you can have all the storage you want in the 16GB version.

    Quote Originally Posted by prodigalsun View Post
    Wow! This is one long a** argument. It's really getting tired ... these iPad vs Car PC arguments. At the end of the day it all comes down to personal choice. There are a million Car PC installs that I've seen that are so different and the iPad is just one variation. Everyone has difference core functionalities they want out of their Car PC, so saying a Car PC should be able to to XYZ is presumptuous. My opinion is device neutral... I just believe each person should just do their research and choose the set up they think is best for their needs. Doesn't matter whether it's Mac, Windows, Linux, iPod, iPad etc. Also who cares about whether it can be called a Car PC etc. All that matters is that there's a function needed and that device is fulfilling that need.
    While it's obvious who's on what's side, I think the "argument" has reached the point of constructiveness. At least in my mind, anyway. There are shortcomings in the iPad if I were to use it as is. We've identified them and how they can be addressed. Some of the issues weren't even issues - people just didn't know the solution was present.

    Kinda gotta wade through the cynicism and self-serving opinions to get to it, but it's there!

  4. #84
    Raw Wave
    Auto Apps:loading...
    justchat_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Boston, Ma or NY,NY
    Posts
    1,783
    Quote Originally Posted by jr4284 View Post
    While it's obvious who's on what's side, I think the "argument" has reached the point of constructiveness. At least in my mind, anyway. There are shortcomings in the iPad if I were to use it as is. We've identified them and how they can be addressed. Some of the issues weren't even issues - people just didn't know the solution was present.

    Kinda gotta wade through the cynicism and self-serving opinions to get to it, but it's there!
    Agreed.....Maybe in the end well even post a summary page.

  5. #85
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    112
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by prodigalsun View Post
    Wow! This is one long a** argument. It's really getting tired ... these iPad vs Car PC arguments. At the end of the day it all comes down to personal choice. There are a million Car PC installs that I've seen that are so different and the iPad is just one variation. Everyone has difference core functionalities they want out of their Car PC, so saying a Car PC should be able to to XYZ is presumptuous. My opinion is device neutral... I just believe each person should just do their research and choose the set up they think is best for their needs. Doesn't matter whether it's Mac, Windows, Linux, iPod, iPad etc. Also who cares about whether it can be called a Car PC etc. All that matters is that there's a function needed and that device is fulfilling that need.
    This ^

  6. #86
    And then I was mod. Tidder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    New Mexico, USA
    Posts
    4,207
    Quote Originally Posted by prodigalsun View Post
    Wow! This is one long a** argument. It's really getting tired ... these iPad vs Car PC arguments. At the end of the day it all comes down to personal choice. There are a million Car PC installs that I've seen that are so different and the iPad is just one variation. Everyone has difference core functionalities they want out of their Car PC, so saying a Car PC should be able to to XYZ is presumptuous. My opinion is device neutral... I just believe each person should just do their research and choose the set up they think is best for their needs. Doesn't matter whether it's Mac, Windows, Linux, iPod, iPad etc. Also who cares about whether it can be called a Car PC etc. All that matters is that there's a function needed and that device is fulfilling that need.
    How can people do the research if threads like these didn't exist?

    What I find tiring is people like you that think every argument on the internet is stupid. The whole reason I made the very first comment I did at the very first page of this thread was to get a grasp on what it is I'm not getting here. I feel I've done exactly that. I've provoked thought and reason, which is exactly what I wanted.
    Tidder

    Try RevFE
    The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

  7. #87
    North of the land of Hey Huns
    Auto Apps:loading...

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Westminster, MD
    Posts
    2,127
    Quote Originally Posted by Tidder View Post
    How can people do the research if threads like these didn't exist?

    What I find tiring is people like you that think every argument on the internet is stupid. The whole reason I made the very first comment I did at the very first page of this thread was to get a grasp on what it is I'm not getting here. I feel I've done exactly that. I've provoked thought and reason, which is exactly what I wanted.
    You're such a thoughtful troll.

    Seriously though, I agree. These kinds of threads let people read through the opinions of a very wide range of people with a varied view on carpc's and Apple in general. I think for someone who isn't really sure what they want, it could give them the chance to see what other people think and also learn what the ipad is and isn't capable of... even the solutions and workarounds that people have come up with in response to the poking and prodding from the anti-ipad people about the lack of some features.
    "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
    RevFE
    My Shop

  8. #88
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    169
    malcom2073 X2 that's the only point I was trying to get to with my 2 posts, for some here the Ipad would be a terrible idea for an in car system, for some it is a worth while role, and to make 1 final response to Justchat1 I have an Andoid phone ( Mytouch 3g ) and an Iphone the problem with your respose is there are several ways I can mention how my Iphone outperforms my Android yes the Android is open but guess what for every 1 App on the Android I can get 10 different choices on my Iphone I am big on Voip I use Sype can't fully use on the Android Sype won't make a full app on Android ( Skype is now not offered on the Android Os ) I also use Callcentric no app on the Android can work with it but any sip phone on the Iphone can run it, as I stated on this forum before until developers start to back the Android Os more it will lag behind the Iphone and you can say what you like but Google ( which I have to say I love aswell ) are hoping and praying the rumors of an Iphone coming to Verizon is just that a rumor because if it happens you will be on here more upset because I can guarantee it will sell like hotcakes to Verizon users. Now enough of that and back to the point at hand.

    The Ipad as of now would be a real basic and I do mean basic incar system but as I said the jailbreak has already been done on the Ipad and is being finalized for the coming weeks once it is jailbroken it will be more open but lets get past jailbreaking right now a good Dev on our forum could get the Ipad sdk and write a basic frontend to make it more car friendly so it can be done there just needs to be the will and want for someone to do it.

  9. #89
    Who am I? HiJackZX1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    6,557
    Quote Originally Posted by aychamo View Post
    So, what's the "term" for someone like you, who insists that everything in the opposing side is bad? Obviously you know nothing about Safari, and yet you insists its horrible. If you have any problem with "customers" using Safari, it's only because whatever garbage you are designing isn't standards compliant. Your problems with Safari are due only to your failure as a designer/coder/whatever.

    Truly, you are a know-nothing.
    HAHAHAHAHAHA, If you say so. Safari is still cr@p.

    PS: Go back through the thread and you will see I give props to Apple where its needed, so dont use the word everything. Your right I dont know anything about Safari and I dont care to. I used it, and its cr@p to me, get over it. All my equipment is standard equipment high power access point with a 1 mile range does b/g signals. Im not a coder, and it has nothing to do with code. Wow did I really push a button? You seem so bent out of shape? OH well. There will always be people like me and you! If you honestly say that you dont prefer a brand over another then your full of that hot brown stuff that comes out the butt.

    PS2: I might buy an iPod Touch, there is an app I like on it. So see I dont hate Apple, just people trying to say that its god of the Car PC.
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

    1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

  10. #90
    Antenna Engineer
    Auto Apps:loading...
    optikalefx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland, United States
    Posts
    837
    Blog Entries
    86
    So I wanna know how safety is in question on the iPad. I mean, the icons are as big as 2 of my fingers, and i have some fat hands.

    Plus whoever is making a font end can make it as big or as friendly as possible. The thing about the current apps, the multi touch to me is much safer. Take maps for example. To zoom in on say garmin mobile, you have to find the plus button or the scrollbar. On iPad you just pinch, which you can easily do without looking. And in that motion you can move the map while pinching, so you really only need 2 fingers, and don't need to look.

    Ill give it that it needs system wide voice control. But it does have system wide voiceover, if thats at least a step in the right direction.

    Yea but i've seen a quite a few of your front ends and being able to manipulate with one or two fingers, without the need to located a button is far safer. IMO

Similar Threads

  1. iPad Project in Land Rover Discovery
    By DiscoNomad in forum Apple iPad
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 11-06-2010, 09:21 PM
  2. Apple iPad
    By RipplingHurst in forum Apple iPad
    Replies: 209
    Last Post: 06-05-2010, 11:28 AM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-18-2006, 04:18 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •