Page 1 of 18 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 180

Thread: ipad build

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1

    ipad build

    Just found this nice install video for an ipad

    http://www.bookofjoe.com/2010/04/wor...tallation.html

  2. #2
    Admin. Linux loser.
    Auto Apps:loading...
    Bugbyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Corning, NY
    Posts
    7,364
    Blog Entries
    2
    Already been posted in two other threads!
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruzer View Post
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

  3. #3
    And then I was mod. Tidder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    New Mexico, USA
    Posts
    4,211
    I hate to be so negative, but what a terrible idea. Very feature-lacking for such a steep price. I just don't think it belongs in the car.

    Then again, I've never understood mac...

    Apple: "Here's the new MacBook Pro!"

    Fanboi: "Cool, what can I do with it?"

    Apple: "Well, not much really, but it looks nice and it's $1900!"

    Fanboi: "Great, I'll take it!!"

    I guess I need to buy one so I can understand why they are so cool. Anybody wanna loan me some bux?
    Tidder

    Try RevFE
    The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

  4. #4
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by Tidder View Post
    I hate to be so negative, but what a terrible idea. Very feature-lacking for such a steep price. I just don't think it belongs in the car.

    Then again, I've never understood mac...

    Apple: "Here's the new MacBook Pro!"

    Fanboi: "Cool, what can I do with it?"

    Apple: "Well, not much really, but it looks nice and it's $1900!"

    Fanboi: "Great, I'll take it!!"

    I guess I need to buy one so I can understand why they are so cool. Anybody wanna loan me some bux?
    lol, what? You haven't used macs recently, or used them for much. I use them because they can do everything that windows machines can do, and many features beyond that. The "it just works" mentality is very nice.

    My MacBook 2 Ghz with 1 gb of ram works significantly faster than my work Dell Precision M6300 2.19 Ghz with 2 gb of ram, yet it cost 1/2 the price.

    Just use one for a while, make up your own mind on it, then if you don't like it, don't use it. Throwing stones with no background knowledge is kinda

    Re: "feature lacking." Please use an iPad and research the endless apps that are out there. There's not a single thing I've used my carputer to do that I can't use the iPad to do (once 4.0 comes out). That and the iPad will be ~60% the cost of my setup with a much larger + sunlight readable display.

  5. #5
    licensed to kill - FKA kev000
    Auto Apps:loading...
    tripzero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    16.40618, 120.61106
    Posts
    2,560
    Quote Originally Posted by jr4284 View Post
    lol, what? You haven't used macs recently, or used them for much. I use them because they can do everything that windows machines can do, and many features beyond that. The "it just works" mentality is very nice.

    My MacBook 2 Ghz with 1 gb of ram works significantly faster than my work Dell Precision M6300 2.19 Ghz with 2 gb of ram, yet it cost 1/2 the price.

    Just use one for a while, make up your own mind on it, then if you don't like it, don't use it. Throwing stones with no background knowledge is kinda

    Re: "feature lacking." Please use an iPad and research the endless apps that are out there. There's not a single thing I've used my carputer to do that I can't use the iPad to do (once 4.0 comes out). That and the iPad will be ~60% the cost of my setup with a much larger + sunlight readable display.
    I think Tidder was arguing against the outrageous pricing for a product that really doesn't do any more than a cheaper product except that maybe it "looks better". Tidder is in no way a Windows/MS fanboi. He knows what he's talking about for the most part. When Tidd thinks a product is overrated, he does so with sound reasons, not just "I'm a PC your a Mac" type arguments.

    Apple doesn't sell mere products. They sell an "experience" and you pay a premium for this experience. You pay the price, and you are now in the "club".

    Also, this "multitasking" feature isn't true multi-tasking. It's an API apps can use to run in the background. Do apps get this functionality without code changes? I highly doubt it. Also, the iPad still doesn't have usb host. nor can it run any apps that I care about.

    I give props to the Apple hype machine. Using words like "We know your going to love this next feature" and "the IPhone really made things like pandora possible" if constantly fed to you would convince anyone that you "need" the i[insert random product here]. It's awesome how good they are at convincing you that zomg, Apple invented multi-tasking and advertising on the phone and you will love it!
    Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
    Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
    Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

  6. #6
    And then I was mod. Tidder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    New Mexico, USA
    Posts
    4,211
    Umm, case and point... can the iPad play wma files or FLAC? My carPC can. Sure, I can transcode and lose quality, but who'd want to do that?

    I have some background knowledge of mac, but it's from 2 years ago or longer when I was actually interested in getting one. I've looked into bootcamp and Parallels so I can still run those needed windows apps for the job.

    But coming full circle, I didn't see anything the mac could do that my PC couldn't. They look nifty, and I still want an intel mac because of that, but I don't think I'd end up running OS X.
    Tidder

    Try RevFE
    The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

  7. #7
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by Tidder View Post
    Umm, case and point... can the iPad play wma files? My carPC can.

    I have some background knowledge of mac, but it's from 2 years ago or longer when I was actually interested in getting one. I've looked into bootcamp and Parallels so I can still run those needed windows apps for the job.

    But coming full circle, I didn't see anything the mac could do that my PC couldn't. They look nifty, and I still want an intel mac, but I don't think I'd end up running OS X.
    We are coming from different backgrounds. I've used iTunes for my music exclusively for the last 6+ years, so I don't have any issues. I'll give it to you that adding in an extra step for conversion is not my idea of a good time.

    And yeah, I use VMWare fusion to run the few things. The only thing I miss is minesweeper!

    The "what can the mac do that the PC can't" is more a matter of experience. Certain things like putting together a professional looking slide show can be done in both platforms, but takes 1/4 of the time on the mac. Just functions to make it easy. It's all a matter of preference at the end of the day.

  8. #8
    North of the land of Hey Huns
    Auto Apps:loading...

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Westminster, MD
    Posts
    2,144
    Quote Originally Posted by Tidder View Post
    Umm, case and point... can the iPad play wma files or FLAC? My carPC can.

    Um... no your carpc can't play FLAC... and I should know (Unless you're a liar)
    "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
    RevFE
    My Shop

  9. #9
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by malcom2073 View Post
    Um... no your carpc can't play FLAC... and I should know (Unless you're a liar)



  10. #10
    And then I was mod. Tidder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    New Mexico, USA
    Posts
    4,211
    Quote Originally Posted by malcom2073 View Post
    Um... no your carpc can't play FLAC... and I should know (Unless you're a liar)
    Ahaha, VLC sucka. For when RevFE doesn't have what it takes. Although I must say, VLC sucks on my CarPC and causes me to reboot when I want to be finished listening to FLAC. Otherwise VLC doesn't close and the machine becomes unstable...
    Tidder

    Try RevFE
    The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

Page 1 of 18 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. iPad Project in Land Rover Discovery
    By DiscoNomad in forum Apple iPad
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 11-06-2010, 08:21 PM
  2. Apple iPad
    By RipplingHurst in forum Apple iPad
    Replies: 209
    Last Post: 06-05-2010, 10:28 AM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-18-2006, 03:18 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •