Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 124

Thread: Blue Hawk Solutions - Mac/iPad FE development

  1. #1
    Vendor - Bluehawk Solutions
    Auto Apps:loading...
    bluehawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    82

    Blue Hawk Solutions - Mac/iPad FE development

    Hey guys my name is Dave owner and CEO of Blue Hawk Solutions. We are a software and website development company located in vancouver canada. Our company car has been running a carpc for about 2 years and i'm sick of the windows os constant bluescreen etc. so because we have been specializing in mac and iphone development we have decided to make a "centrafuse for the mac". We want to offer the same quality in application as the centrafuse program does for the windows users.

    We would like to know how many people would be interested in this software, as the current mac carpc software isn't anywhere near the quality of centrafuse. We would be willing to do a free BETA test to the people who are interested. Also we have a good application outline but if you guys would like to suggest features please do so here.


    List of must have features:
    -Excellent GPS integration

    -Look and feel of a high quality windows program

    -Both intel and PPC support, I find that the older ppc mac mini's more favorable because of their price, power consumption, and cooling. If a viable mac front end is available, otherwise its the intel ones to run windows.

    -Plug and Play support, When I plug in a flash drive or CD/DVD an option apears to play the media from it.

    -XM/Sirius SAT Radio support, there is someone that has developed a USB adapter to control a sirusConnect radio, and while the drivers is available for Mac no software has been developed.

    -Bluetooth integration, The ability to connect phones and PDA's for hands free dialing and A2DP media streaming.

    -Plug-in API, Allowing users to develop plug-ins and skins.

    -iPad ported version of the desktop application


    BETA 1 is to include...

    -iPad ported version
    -Media playing

    SPECS:
    Code Name: Silos (pronounced sy-lo-se)
    iPad/Mac version

    PROGRESS TO BETA:
    Mac = 13%
    iPad = 35%


    DATES OF INTEREST:
    June 15th - iPad BETA - **DELAYED**
    June 25th - Mac BETA - **DELAYED**

    Thanks!
    Dave

  2. #2
    Constant Bitrate Project07MACry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    BK, NY
    Posts
    174
    Seeing that I have yet to really choose a front end, I wouldn't mind testing your software. But one thing is a must: good integration with gps software. If I can rid myself of Windows altogether, you have a winner...
    All systems are a go...
    Currently in "tweaking" mode.

    The Worklog

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    15
    Sir you just made my day.... I would love to help you out with development of a high quality mac based front end. As a hobby CarPC builder I have seen a lot of my friends and clients interest in a mac based carpc solution wavered by the lacking of a good high quality front end. I currently use ICE3 in my car. It is a good media playing front end, but lacks many features.

    Here is a list of features that I would like to see in a Front End:

    1. Both intel and PPC support, I find that the older ppc mac mini's more favorable because of their price, power consumption, and cooling. If a viable mac front end is available, otherwise its the intel ones to run windows.

    2. Turn-by-Turn GPS integration, Something that has not been seen on macs at all

    3. Plug and Play support, When I plug in a flash drive or CD/DVD an option apears to play the media from it.

    4. XM/Sirius SAT Radio support, there is someone that has developed a USB adapter to control a sirusConnect radio, and while the drivers is available for Mac no software has been developed.

    5. Bluetooth integration, The ability to connect phones and PDA's for hands free dialing and A2DP media streaming.

    6. Plug-in API, Allowing users to develop plug-ins and skins.

    This is just a quick list I put together, from working on Windows based CarPC's. I don't expect anything this developed as a first release, but it is nice to see a development company take up the charge, instead of a few users developing in their spare time.

    I am not a developer, I wish I was, but I have a firm grasp of what people want and how things should work. I also have a good eye for UI design. So Please let me know if I can help with Beta Testing, or just suggesting Ideas. PM me for my email, I'm more easily accessible that way.

    Jonathan

  4. #4
    Admin. Linux loser.
    Auto Apps:loading...
    Bugbyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Corning, NY
    Posts
    7,364
    Blog Entries
    2
    The main problem with a Mac front end that can't be easily dispensed with is lack of suitable GPS software. This is because you can simply pick from one of the many Windows solutions and run it on the Mac if you wish. Making a Mac specific version would be nice, but there's not much percentage in it for a car front end.

    Any FE that doesn't integrate GPS into the software is going to be ignored.

    How about doing something more interesting with the iPad? A front end app on the iPad would probably have much broader appeal and with 4.0 OS you might even be able to switch between the heavy hitter apps like music, gps, video and so forth using some kind of front end control. Plus, you would have net connectivity for those with 3G or using an iPhone.

    I suppose you could build it so that it detects a Mac Mini or Macbook or whatever and could access music and data on those devices whether locally over WiFi or BT or over the net from your house. You'd need a little server program but I'll bet there are programs out there that are open source that would give you a leg up to do something like that. MediaTomb is one I've been experimenting with.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruzer View Post
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

  5. #5
    Organic Me
    Auto Apps:loading...
    Heather's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Fells Point, Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    1,288
    Blog Entries
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by bluehawk View Post
    Hey guys my name is Dave owner and CEO of Blue Hawk Solutions. We are a software and website development company located in vancouver canada. Our company car has been running a carpc for about 2 years and i'm sick of the windows os constant bluescreen etc. so because we have been specializing in mac and iphone development we have decided to make a "centrafuse for the mac". We want to offer the same quality in application as the centrafuse program does for the windows users.

    We would like to know how many people would be interested in this software, as the current mac carpc software isn't anywhere near the quality of centrafuse. We would be willing to do a free BETA test to the people who are interested. Also we have a good application outline but if you guys would like to suggest features please do so here.


    List of must have features:
    Excellent GPS integration
    Look and feel of a high quality windows program

    Thanks!
    Dave

    Dave

    Shoot me your contact information and we can help you pull together a beta testing group and set you up a forum.
    Suggestions or Comments on the forums? Post here.

    mp3Car store order questions or products that you would like to sell on the store? Email store @ mp3car.com

    Feel free to pm me if you:
    • Have a general comment on mp3Car's products or services
    • Have a product you would like to have tested by the mp3Car community
    • Have a file you would like mp3Car to host
    • Have a cool idea that would improve the forums

  6. #6
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    112
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugbyte View Post
    The main problem with a Mac front end that can't be easily dispensed with is lack of suitable GPS software. This is because you can simply pick from one of the many Windows solutions and run it on the Mac if you wish. Making a Mac specific version would be nice, but there's not much percentage in it for a car front end.

    Any FE that doesn't integrate GPS into the software is going to be ignored.

    How about doing something more interesting with the iPad? A front end app on the iPad would probably have much broader appeal and with 4.0 OS you might even be able to switch between the heavy hitter apps like music, gps, video and so forth using some kind of front end control. Plus, you would have net connectivity for those with 3G or using an iPhone.

    I suppose you could build it so that it detects a Mac Mini or Macbook or whatever and could access music and data on those devices whether locally over WiFi or BT or over the net from your house. You'd need a little server program but I'll bet there are programs out there that are open source that would give you a leg up to do something like that. MediaTomb is one I've been experimenting with.

    I will second this for sure. An Ipad front end app would be great.

  7. #7
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    15
    While I agee that an ipad app would be benificial, I think there still is a market for a mac front end. For me an ipad would not fit well in my current vehical. I don't know if it is possible to make a cross-platform app that would work for most of the ui while haveing the backends be platform specific.

  8. #8
    Vendor - Bluehawk Solutions
    Auto Apps:loading...
    bluehawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    82
    thanks for the input guys! if that is the case we will make a Mac FE and an iPad FE the same name and features just ported to the proper OS. I'm going to update the first post with the new requested features

  9. #9
    Variable Bitrate red_parchel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Boston, Ma
    Posts
    280
    If this comes to light I would like to test it out
    MobileThree: in car - Zotac Atom/ION - linuxICE 2.0.2

    --worklog--

  10. #10
    Vendor - Bluehawk Solutions
    Auto Apps:loading...
    bluehawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by red_parchel View Post
    If this comes to light I would like to test it out
    Great! I'm very pleased to see everyones involvement ! Stay tuned for updates as today we are finalizing BETA 1 features.

Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Introduction from Blue Hawk Solutions
    By bluehawk in forum MacCar
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 06-02-2010, 01:31 PM
  2. ****Celica Carbon Fiber Car Computer Finished****
    By hombredelassrta in forum Show off your project
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 09-02-2006, 02:22 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •