Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 33

Thread: iPad installed in my Chevy Silverado

  1. #21
    Who am I? HiJackZX1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    6,557
    Quote Originally Posted by torres1708 View Post
    I didn't extend the top of the console. It's just the shroud for the iPad that I made that's sticking out. It's not too heavy, but I did reinforce it by placing the hinges on the left and resting the weight on the actuator arm on the right so it won't sag.
    No, not the iPad. The actual headunit in the roof.
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

    1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

  2. #22
    Low Bitrate torres1708's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Norman, OK
    Posts
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by HiJackZX1 View Post
    No, not the iPad. The actual headunit in the roof.
    I installed an Avic f500bt GPS unit to the overhead console that I fiberglassed. Now I mainly use it for the reverse camera input, it also has USB input and Bluetooth.

  3. #23
    Who am I? HiJackZX1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    6,557
    Quote Originally Posted by torres1708 View Post
    I installed an Avic f500bt GPS unit to the overhead console that I fiberglassed. Now I mainly use it for the reverse camera input, it also has USB input and Bluetooth.
    Thats what I was curious about. I too want to do something like that, but I want to add my rear view screen, sensor back up display, DVR and Sun Pass, all hidden in the console.
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

    1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

  4. #24
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Newark, New Jersey, United States
    Posts
    283
    Quote Originally Posted by HiJackZX1 View Post
    ........

    My friend is the money man, lol
    thats y i plan to convince him.

    we spoke lastnight about it.
    says its the easy way out. wants a challenge.
    but he will look into it.

  5. #25
    Who am I? HiJackZX1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    6,557
    Quote Originally Posted by trinybwoy View Post
    My friend is the money man, lol
    thats y i plan to convince him.

    we spoke lastnight about it.
    says its the easy way out. wants a challenge.
    but he will look into it.
    It is the easy way out. Anything a iPad can do, a CarPC can do better. I do not know why people want to replace the CarPc all together.
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

    1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

  6. #26
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Newark, New Jersey, United States
    Posts
    283
    Quote Originally Posted by HiJackZX1 View Post
    It is the easy way out. Anything a iPad can do, a CarPC can do better. I do not know why people want to replace the CarPc all together.
    Yea i agree. i shouldnt have said i would scrap my carpc.
    I would always have a car with an actual pc in it.
    but if u get get a second car, i would like to try out an iPad in it.
    i love gadgets. but i also love keeping things simple.

    dont want to put tooooo much into one car.

  7. #27
    Who am I? HiJackZX1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    6,557
    Its cool. So many people have different views on it. Some will even argue that the iPad is better then a Car PC. It all depends on what each user wants to do in their setup.
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

    1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

  8. #28
    Low Bitrate torres1708's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Norman, OK
    Posts
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by HiJackZX1 View Post
    It is the easy way out. Anything a iPad can do, a CarPC can do better. I do not know why people want to replace the CarPc all together.
    I agree... I was going to do a CarPC initially, but when I saw the ad for the iPad, I knew that would work better for me. The main reasons, I went with an iPad, was because I wouldn't have to worry about power supply and converters, space, and because it was fully touch oriented, although some of the front end programs for a PC eliminate the touch compatability issue. The biggest reason was because a CarPC takes a while to boot up and shut down, when an iPad is instant. Also, I could use it in the house and have a second purpose for it. A CarPC can do more things and has more memory options, but since I would use it mainly for music, videos, and internet and email, I didn't have much of a reason to spend the extra money and go to a CarPC. So for me, it was just a better solution. The only problem that I've had with the iPad is that it does overheat sometimes (the average temp this week in Oklahoma is 102F.) Besides that it's been working great.

  9. #29
    Who am I? HiJackZX1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    6,557
    Quote Originally Posted by torres1708 View Post
    I agree... I was going to do a CarPC initially, but when I saw the ad for the iPad, I knew that would work better for me. The main reasons, I went with an iPad, was because I wouldn't have to worry about power supply and converters, space, and because it was fully touch oriented, although some of the front end programs for a PC eliminate the touch compatability issue. The biggest reason was because a CarPC takes a while to boot up and shut down, when an iPad is instant. Also, I could use it in the house and have a second purpose for it. A CarPC can do more things and has more memory options, but since I would use it mainly for music, videos, and internet and email, I didn't have much of a reason to spend the extra money and go to a CarPC. So for me, it was just a better solution. The only problem that I've had with the iPad is that it does overheat sometimes (the average temp this week in Oklahoma is 102F.) Besides that it's been working great.
    Yea, trust me I know the space issues :-\. You drive a huge truck, so you have the room, lol. I drive a midsize SUV and space is becoming an issue with my install. If I had a scaled down system though, I think now you can build a Car PC that is very space friendly. Lots of people have created ones that fit in place of the headunit. Also as far as instant on, it is doable, but will usually require a second battery and Windows 7. I have always been skeptical of the iPad in the car. I have yet to see anyone use it while driving.
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

    1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

  10. #30
    FLAC hexxamillion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    1,099
    Quote Originally Posted by trinybwoy View Post
    this makes me want to scrap my entire carpc project and install an ipad
    lol

    i think i'll try and convince my freind to put an ipad setup in his car.
    he already has a carpc in his truck.
    Funny..I'm basically do this. Re-designing my project but I'm going with Android rather than iPad...personal preference.
    "Live Free!!!...It's all about Open Source"
    Current Proj:Android Mount in 2013 Altima
    Old Proj II
    Old Proj I
    YouTube:Project Videos
    Homepage: HexxWorld.net
    Twitter:http://twitter.com/hexxamillion

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. My iPad 3G install in a 2006 mustang.
    By koach in forum Apple iPad
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-09-2011, 05:54 PM
  2. iPad in a 300C SRT8 - Part 1
    By tx_bandit in forum Apple iPad
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-19-2010, 08:27 AM
  3. 2000 Chevy Silverado
    By gottifour in forum Worklogs
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-11-2006, 08:44 PM
  4. 2003 Chevy Silverado Install
    By carfreak01 in forum Show off your project
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-14-2006, 02:38 AM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-08-2006, 05:35 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •