I've written a front-end for my iPhone, been using it in my car for months but stopped development on it when I ran into limits in Apple's SDK. I've now given up on the iPhone and moving to Android. Some features that I couldn't implement on the iPhone that you may be able to implement by petitioning Apple to add to their SDK.
- Poll when the screen is locked (so you can send an sms alert when the car has been running but the screen hasn't been unlocked)
- Turn the screen off (I filled the screen black and had to set auto-lock)
- Proper music visualizations (think milkdrop for winamp, apple specifically block you from getting the waveform of music, or even getting it from the mic while music is playing)
Features I did implement, sounds like you're implementing some of these anyway
- Auto-play music when car started (ie. usb charging)
- gestures for next song, prev song, play, pause etc.
- while car running, record gps location and speed
- when car stopped, e-mail recorded track
- when car stopped, pause music and blank screen
- auto-record of 0-60/0-100 times
- customizable UI
- random slideshow of pictures (never got round to getting this working)
Keen to see screenshots of your app, if it runs on iphone, I may buy it until I go Android. I also like the sound of Speech Recognition (thought about including that but was way above my limited ability)
Thanks @badmonkey23. Maybe you and I could chat so that I can get the app tuned just right with some of the features you say you've already implemented.
BTW, I did get approved to use the Voice Recognition code in the app, but it requires internet in order for it to work, as it sends your audio to a server that transcribes and sends back, and on top of that, it has a fee for each use (they refer to as transaction). I don't think I will end up using their service for right now, as it does have an initial cost and other things that I'm not financially able to afford right now.
Also, I have been out this week with a bad back pain, and this is the first I've been back on my computer since Sunday (it felt so weird without a computer). I am waiting for my graphics guy to finalize his mockup, so when he gets those to me, I will post them here.
I was wondering if I could take a poll on what orientation people are considering. I plan to make it work in all orientations, but for the initial testing phase I'm planning on one orientation.
Definately landscape for me
definitely portrait for me
Alright... its been long enough. I've been working hard on the screenshots myself as my designer has been very busy with his own work. I feel that I like this and will be sticking to the design I have set in my head. The screen shot I will be showing you is only the music one so far, and will hopefully have some of the other screen finished soon.
Let me know what you think.