I have a few questions about marine 24 volt systems. I thought the answers might be beneficial to others, so I will be posting both my questions and the answers here in this thread.
- What is the spike /peak voltage that should be expected in a 24 volt marine or boat environment?
- According to the spec sheet, clamping will occur at 25-27 volts. What is the exact failure behavior when input voltage exceeds 25-27 volts?
- How long can the voltage exceed 25-27 volts before clamping occurs?
- Is there more or less heat generated when operating in 24volts mode vs. 12 volts?
- At what input voltage will permanent damage occur to the unit?
I have been having trouble with the 5V rail shutting off when powering the pc on my boat. I am using one of the 12 volt leads on the power panel under the console. Should I be using a 24 Volt connection instead? The pc works sometimes and other times it won't boot. Thanks for any replies. Also, the battery draining circuitry seems to be specific for 12 V systems? How much will it drain a 24 V system before the circuitry will shut off?