Page 21 of 47 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425262728293031 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 462

Thread: Alpine PXA-H701 Questions

  1. #201
    FLAC
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Queens, New York
    Posts
    1,386
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonWW View Post
    Brown arrows=brown text
    Gotcha thnks
    2002 Mitsubishi Galant
    Progress: 90% [-▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓- ->

    Carputer Specs:
    Via M10K
    512mb Ram
    60GB HDD
    Souund Blaster Audigy2 NX
    OPUS ITX PC Case


  2. #202
    Super Moderator. If my typing sucks it's probably because I'm driving.... turbocad6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    6,234
    I'm not sure if your head is optical too? if the head is optical too then you need a switcher if you want to use it optical & the PC optical... if the head is just AI-net then it's easier & all you have to do is have the PC optical go on & off to switch back & forth.. there are no rca's from the head to the processor in an AI-net setup, the signals all travel in the AI-net cable...


    you could also turn a regular pci card on & off electrically, but this would involve soldering to the card itself.... I could help you do that if you wanted to bring it by my shop

    this could also be done in software, but the easiest way would be to have someone write a small script for you that could toggle the output from the sound card on & off... a button press on the screen could turn the output on & off....


    when you turn the car on, it is automatically on the alpine head... when the PC comes up, it automatically switches to the PC... if you turn the PC off, it automatically switches back to the alpine... if you want the PC on, but the sound from the head, you have to have some way of breaking the signal from the pc...

    if both are optical, then it's just a simple ab switch for the optics's

    in any one of these scenarios, the volume will always be controlled by the head no problem

  3. #203
    FLAC
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Queens, New York
    Posts
    1,386
    Quote Originally Posted by turbocad6 View Post
    I'm not sure if your head is optical too? if the head is optical too then you need a switcher if you want to use it optical & the PC optical... if the head is just AI-net then it's easier & all you have to do is have the PC optical go on & off to switch back & forth.. there are no rca's from the head to the processor in an AI-net setup, the signals all travel in the AI-net cable...


    you could also turn a regular pci card on & off electrically, but this would involve soldering to the card itself.... I could help you do that if you wanted to bring it by my shop

    this could also be done in software, but the easiest way would be to have someone write a small script for you that could toggle the output from the sound card on & off... a button press on the screen could turn the output on & off....


    when you turn the car on, it is automatically on the alpine head... when the PC comes up, it automatically switches to the PC... if you turn the PC off, it automatically switches back to the alpine... if you want the PC on, but the sound from the head, you have to have some way of breaking the signal from the pc...

    if both are optical, then it's just a simple ab switch for the optics's

    in any one of these scenarios, the volume will always be controlled by the head no problem
    Hey Turbo that would be awesome if i could get something programed to turn on/off a pci device. I read up on some tutorial on these boards on how to enable/disable a USB device with autoIT and DEVCON i wonder if that is the same thing just with a pci device.... Maybe someone can wip something up...

    THanks for the offer where are you located? IF all else fails that thats what i would most prolly do...
    2002 Mitsubishi Galant
    Progress: 90% [-▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓- ->

    Carputer Specs:
    Via M10K
    512mb Ram
    60GB HDD
    Souund Blaster Audigy2 NX
    OPUS ITX PC Case


  4. #204
    FLAC
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Hou. TX
    Posts
    1,481
    Quote Originally Posted by turbocad6 View Post
    there are no rca's from the head to the processor in an AI-net setup, the signals all travel in the AI-net cable...
    Wow, I didn't know that. I thought the cables only carried communication data, not sound. This sounds like the way to go. Just get a HU with a AI-net connection.
    1999 Black Pontiac Trans Am
    CarPC's in F-bodies
    How To Relocate Climate Controls on the 97-02 F-body Cars
    (AMD Sempron 3000+, Opus 150)
    Car PC system is out, Alpine system is in.

  5. #205
    Super Moderator. If my typing sucks it's probably because I'm driving.... turbocad6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    6,234
    did I ever mention how much I love alpine

    I'm having a real hard time considering not using an alpine in my new car install.... it's just so hard to resist


    alpine systems don't have much of the normal noise level problems because of the AI-net archetchture... everything before the processor is in the AI-net cable, probably balanced twisted pairs? how ever they do it, it just works....

    the processor brain has the rca's out, & it is installed right at the amps, or as close as practical... there are no 17' & 20' runs of rca's.... you'll need a few short rca's from the processor to the amps, but the noise picked up in a short controlled run is not very much...


    the sound card driver utility should have a configuration that can enable & disable the spdif out... I think theres a way to write a script that can toggle this.... I don't know how to write a script like this though... it would be cool to just make a button in your front end to run this script, the button could toggle the head unit & the pc... if the PC's off it defaults to the head...

    the first step is to choose the sound card I guess... & then check out the config utility

    an electrical solution would be to cut something on the board.... without seeing it it's hard to know what could be done, but I'm sure something can be done......

    a usb sound card is the easiest, just cut power by interrupting it in the usb cable... this is really the easiest way, if you could go firewire/usb....

  6. #206
    FLAC
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Queens, New York
    Posts
    1,386
    Quote Originally Posted by turbocad6 View Post
    did I ever mention how much I love alpine

    I'm having a real hard time considering not using an alpine in my new car install.... it's just so hard to resist


    alpine systems don't have much of the normal noise level problems because of the AI-net archetchture... everything before the processor is in the AI-net cable, probably balanced twisted pairs? how ever they do it, it just works....

    the processor brain has the rca's out, & it is installed right at the amps, or as close as practical... there are no 17' & 20' runs of rca's.... you'll need a few short rca's from the processor to the amps, but the noise picked up in a short controlled run is not very much...


    the sound card driver utility should have a configuration that can enable & disable the spdif out... I think theres a way to write a script that can toggle this.... I don't know how to write a script like this though... it would be cool to just make a button in your front end to run this script, the button could toggle the head unit & the pc... if the PC's off it defaults to the head...

    the first step is to choose the sound card I guess... & then check out the config utility

    an electrical solution would be to cut something on the board.... without seeing it it's hard to know what could be done, but I'm sure something can be done......

    a usb sound card is the easiest, just cut power by interrupting it in the usb cable... this is really the easiest way, if you could go firewire/usb....
    What about just totally cutting the power to the external SC by putting a switch on the 5V line instead of the USB
    2002 Mitsubishi Galant
    Progress: 90% [-▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓- ->

    Carputer Specs:
    Via M10K
    512mb Ram
    60GB HDD
    Souund Blaster Audigy2 NX
    OPUS ITX PC Case


  7. #207
    Super Moderator. If my typing sucks it's probably because I'm driving.... turbocad6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    6,234
    yes, this is exactly what I ment, but you will get at this 5v in the usb cable

  8. #208
    FLAC
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Queens, New York
    Posts
    1,386
    Quote Originally Posted by turbocad6 View Post
    yes, this is exactly what I ment, but you will get at this 5v in the usb cable
    So ur saying it would be better to chop up the usb cable then the power connector...whatever way works it doesnt matter
    2002 Mitsubishi Galant
    Progress: 90% [-▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓- ->

    Carputer Specs:
    Via M10K
    512mb Ram
    60GB HDD
    Souund Blaster Audigy2 NX
    OPUS ITX PC Case


  9. #209
    Super Moderator. If my typing sucks it's probably because I'm driving.... turbocad6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    6,234
    what power connector? the soundcard I use is usb powered.... I'm assuming a usb powered little optical soundcard....

    if yours is using a seperate power supply then yeah, I guess you could just cut that... but I never seen a usb soundcard use an external power supply thats 5v?

    I've seen 12v externally powered, I did a creative extigy in another car & it had a 12v supply...

    what card are you using?

  10. #210
    FLAC
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Queens, New York
    Posts
    1,386
    Quote Originally Posted by turbocad6 View Post
    what power connector? the soundcard I use is usb powered.... I'm assuming a usb powered little optical soundcard....

    if yours is using a seperate power supply then yeah, I guess you could just cut that... but I never seen a usb soundcard use an external power supply thats 5v?

    I've seen 12v externally powered, I did a creative extigy in another car & it had a 12v supply...

    what card are you using?
    I have the SB Audigy 2 NX....What usb soundcard do you have thats usb powered and has optical
    2002 Mitsubishi Galant
    Progress: 90% [-▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓- ->

    Carputer Specs:
    Via M10K
    512mb Ram
    60GB HDD
    Souund Blaster Audigy2 NX
    OPUS ITX PC Case


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 85
    Last Post: 07-09-2007, 04:44 AM
  2. alpine skin questions
    By hakhawk in forum RR Skins
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-04-2005, 05:48 PM
  3. MP3 --> ALPINE head unit questions
    By WozzaWozza in forum Car Audio
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-09-2005, 10:46 AM
  4. FS: Alpine Amps, Subs, 6.5" Monitors
    By coachreed in forum Classified Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-03-2005, 01:13 PM
  5. Alpine / PC Challenges all around...
    By acitrano in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-10-2000, 07:45 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •