Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: sound deadening , again

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Thornhill eh?
    Posts
    53

    sound deadening , again

    i know this stuff comes up and gets asked everywhere but well i just must. I have fully read the sound deadener showdown article and accept that cheap stuff/ashphalt based stuff is no good. IE no peel n seel.

    however i found this:
    http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...ctId=100028603
    no ashpalt in it although i would not be expecting wonders but i may try it in the doors.

    i've also been cruzing ebay and am considering going with fatmat because im in toronto and so is it. HOWEVER i know in the sound deadener showdown it was mention fatmat is ashpalt based, BUT that article is few years old and it seems to me that fatmat has changed/got better, maybe? at $2ish per square foot it doesn't really price out like ashphalt.
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/25sf-FatMat-Rattl...QQcmdZViewItem

    i guess i should also call local shops and try that alcohol trick on stuff i can get my hands on.

    so that ends my final question as does anybody else think fatmat has gotten better and is without ashphalt?

  2. #2
    Car Audio Moderator durwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chicagoland (St. Charles,IL)
    Posts
    2,028
    I still like Raammat and it should be within that price range. Rick is a super standup guy. If you need the cheaper stuff, elemental designs is a tad cheaper, but you get more value from raammat IIRC.

    Rudeboy or Rudy as he goes by on here wrote the sound deadener showdown and from what he has mentioned, I think he is going to update it. Maybe if he is around he will step in and give his 2 cents.

    That foam insulation might be good to put over deadener, but deadener and insulation serve two different purposes. One is about adding mass, while the other is about absorbing and isolating.

  3. #3
    _
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Little Elm, Texas
    Posts
    13,500
    I'd really like to see the Black Hole products included in that sound deadener show down.

    It might be something to conside for your install as well.
    Jan Bennett
    FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

    Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

  4. #4
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by brendan View Post
    i know this stuff comes up and gets asked everywhere but well i just must. I have fully read the sound deadener showdown article and accept that cheap stuff/ashphalt based stuff is no good. IE no peel n seel.

    however i found this:
    http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...ctId=100028603
    no ashpalt in it although i would not be expecting wonders but i may try it in the doors.
    This won't be a very effective vibration damper - too light, it's more of an alternative to foam.

    Quote Originally Posted by brendan View Post
    i've also been cruzing ebay and am considering going with fatmat because im in toronto and so is it. HOWEVER i know in the sound deadener showdown it was mention fatmat is ashpalt based, BUT that article is few years old and it seems to me that fatmat has changed/got better, maybe? at $2ish per square foot it doesn't really price out like ashphalt.
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/25sf-FatMat-Rattl...QQcmdZViewItem

    i guess i should also call local shops and try that alcohol trick on stuff i can get my hands on.

    so that ends my final question as does anybody else think fatmat has gotten better and is without ashphalt?
    Rattle Trap is supposed to be butyl. FatMat itself hasn't changed and is still asphalt. If you search around, you'll see that far too many people in the US are having trouble getting orders filled. The phone has been turned off and e-mails aren't being answered. I'd be careful.

  5. #5
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by RedGTiVR6 View Post
    I'd really like to see the Black Hole products included in that sound deadener show down.

    It might be something to conside for your install as well.
    I'm happy to look at anything anyone wants to send me - I'm trying to minimize the products I have to buy

  6. #6
    FLAC
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    1,237
    Blog Entries
    1
    Hey what aisle in Home Depot is that foam stuff in? Do you guys think it would be worthwhile to use heavier (proper) deadener, then apply this foam stuff on top? Or would that be a waste of time and money? I believe foam is a good absorber of high frequencies.

    Also...does anyone actually buy deadener from local stores? The stores in my area only seem to sell overpriced brands like Dynamat.

  7. #7
    _
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Little Elm, Texas
    Posts
    13,500
    Dynamat isn't over priced at local stores.

    At local stores it's sold at MSRP. The prices you are paying for other deadeners are not retail pricing.

    Saying Dynamat is overpriced in this regard is comparing apples to oranges.
    Jan Bennett
    FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

    Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

  8. #8
    Variable Bitrate rijndael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    on Earth
    Posts
    383
    if you want, i found HIFIsoundconnection on ebay...they sell bulk paks (36sq feet) of extreme dynamat for $117 a box, and only $0.01 for shipping UPS. i ordered mine last saturday, and got it here this afternoon.

    for that price, and only paying 3 cents on shipping for 108 square feet of dynamat is not bad at all...

    im gonna soon rip out (or try to rip out) the butyl roofing material i bought at home depot. it does a decent job....but after reading that "sound deadener showdown" by Rudy, I feel I made the wrong choice...so im gonna fix it...ill let everyone know the difference in sound dampening after its installed.
    Trouble deciding on car speakers? Clicky Clicky
    Speakers: DLS Ultimate Iridium 6.3 Link
    Subwoofer: removed
    Amplifier#1 (Front Stage): DLS Ultimate A4
    Amplifier#2 (Sub) removed
    Carputer: Removed for tablet install

  9. #9
    FLAC
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    1,237
    Blog Entries
    1
    Oops..sorry. You are right, Dynamat isnt overpriced. It's the manufacturer's right to charge whatever they want for a product. I should have reworded and said Dynmat charges too much per quality. However, that is just my opinion.

    Also...I will NOT ever ship with UPS. They charge outrageous brokerage fees for shipments from US > Canada.

  10. #10
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by rijndael View Post
    if you want, i found HIFIsoundconnection on ebay...they sell bulk paks (36sq feet) of extreme dynamat for $117 a box, and only $0.01 for shipping UPS. i ordered mine last saturday, and got it here this afternoon.

    for that price, and only paying 3 cents on shipping for 108 square feet of dynamat is not bad at all...

    im gonna soon rip out (or try to rip out) the butyl roofing material i bought at home depot. it does a decent job....but after reading that "sound deadener showdown" by Rudy, I feel I made the wrong choice...so im gonna fix it...ill let everyone know the difference in sound dampening after its installed.
    If the stuff you got at HD is really butyl, I don't know that I would bother pulling it out. The only thing wrong with most butyl roofing materials is that they are very thin and don't have an aluminum foil protective layer. I'd remove asphalt. I'd just apply the Dynamat on top of butyl.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. New Chip Provides High-End Sound
    By DarquePervert in forum Car Audio
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-06-2006, 11:58 AM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-26-2006, 12:17 AM
  3. FS: USB Sound Blast Live 24 bit & Pioneer 4 Channel 300watt amp
    By clean customs in forum Classified Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-21-2005, 11:04 AM
  4. Sound Card discussion, 4.1, sound quality, need help
    By jedi7001 in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-19-2005, 10:47 AM
  5. got sound?
    By masch in forum Newbie
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 11-17-2003, 10:01 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •