Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: SP/DIF to analog rca converter

  1. #1
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern Calif
    Posts
    423

    SP/DIF to analog rca converter

    I'm running a Aopen mini pc onboard sound going to car amplifier and as some of you know, some noise gets introduced from the hard drive, gps nav receiver, or what not. I'm gonna try and isolate the noise by using the SPDIF output port.

    Question on the Sound Blaster Audigy 2 NX card's optical in/out.. If you feed audio to the line in (via 3.5mm plug) does that get come out of the optical out port or no?

  2. #2
    MySQL Error scott_fx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles Ca
    Posts
    3,995
    you have a lot of options and probably a lot of higher quality options as well. do a search for 'dac' or look at some of the stickies.
    New System in progress:
    M10k
    Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
    Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
    Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
    Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
    Transflective Xenarc

    My Car Pc Install
    My Boat Pc worklog

  3. #3
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    570
    I have the same question about the use of a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 NX.

    Sadly the stickies didn't yeild anything I could use, i'll keep looking

    THis was a good start

    Audigy 2 NX
    New Car PC Build list in progress

  4. #4
    MySQL Error scott_fx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles Ca
    Posts
    3,995
    Quote Originally Posted by rgarjr View Post
    I'm running a Aopen mini pc onboard sound going to car amplifier and as some of you know, some noise gets introduced from the hard drive, gps nav receiver, or what not. I'm gonna try and isolate the noise by using the SPDIF output port.

    Question on the Sound Blaster Audigy 2 NX card's optical in/out.. If you feed audio to the line in (via 3.5mm plug) does that get come out of the optical out port or no?
    no, 3.5" is usually unbalanced analog. what you're trying to do would require a dac before you went into the soundcard...which would be pointless
    New System in progress:
    M10k
    Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
    Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
    Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
    Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
    Transflective Xenarc

    My Car Pc Install
    My Boat Pc worklog

  5. #5
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bear, DE, USA
    Posts
    312
    Quote Originally Posted by scott_fx View Post
    no, 3.5" is usually unbalanced analog. what you're trying to do would require a dac before you went into the soundcard...which would be pointless
    I do believe the NX has a coax digital 3.5mm input port, but I think what he's asking is if the sound card will do a A/D conversion from it's line in and output over optical. And it's not pointless, if you're trying to consolidate multiple inputs, either digital or analog, to a single optical due to equipment limitations on the other end. For example, you have an amp or processor with a single digital input and you have multiple sources which include a PC (sat radio, HD radio, etc.). I know because I was trying to do something similar at one point...

    In answer to the OP, if the above is what you're asking, I believe it's possible, but I couldn't find any way to make it work reliably on my Audigy 2 NX...
    I have too much time and too little aggravation in my life, so I built a carPC. ;)

  6. #6
    MySQL Error scott_fx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles Ca
    Posts
    3,995
    Quote Originally Posted by hithere View Post
    I do believe the NX has a coax digital 3.5mm input port, but I think what he's asking is if the sound card will do a A/D conversion from it's line in and output over optical. And it's not pointless, if you're trying to consolidate multiple inputs, either digital or analog, to a single optical due to equipment limitations on the other end. For example, you have an amp or processor with a single digital input and you have multiple sources which include a PC (sat radio, HD radio, etc.). I know because I was trying to do something similar at one point...

    In answer to the OP, if the above is what you're asking, I believe it's possible, but I couldn't find any way to make it work reliably on my Audigy 2 NX...
    is there a car audio amp has a digital input?


    also, never seen a digital in with 3.5mm you need a 75 ohm cable and most commonly terminated using an rca. never seen it any other way. unless you have a aes that uses an xlr
    New System in progress:
    M10k
    Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
    Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
    Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
    Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
    Transflective Xenarc

    My Car Pc Install
    My Boat Pc worklog

  7. #7
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    80

  8. #8
    MySQL Error scott_fx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles Ca
    Posts
    3,995
    i guess i should have rephrased that, does his amp have digital input
    New System in progress:
    M10k
    Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
    Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
    Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
    Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
    Transflective Xenarc

    My Car Pc Install
    My Boat Pc worklog

  9. #9
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern Calif
    Posts
    423
    For owners of the 2 NX card, if you feed it audio off the 3.5mm line in jack, it will output that off the S/PDIF output. Just a fyi.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-14-2008, 01:37 AM
  2. 1999 Mercury Sable RCA Converter question
    By xxgmsmgxx89 in forum Power Supplies
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-22-2007, 05:54 AM
  3. convert Toslink to 5.1 Analog RCA (6 RCA Plugs)
    By jayroo5245 in forum Car Audio
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-11-2007, 12:48 PM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-13-2005, 11:14 PM
  5. Digital to Analog Converter
    By Maukio in forum Car Audio
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-31-2005, 11:58 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •