Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: 4 ch amp to drive 6 speakers?

  1. #1
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    scotland
    Posts
    191

    4 ch amp to drive 6 speakers?

    can i use a 4 channel amp (jl e4300) to drive 6 speakers? in my saab i have well 7 speakers if you include the centre one

    but say 6 speakers just now , front dash and rear doors are mid range and tweeters ,

    the front doors are bass

    can u use the jl to power them , and if so how do i wire it ?

  2. #2
    Low Bitrate dLockers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    75
    i use a 2 channel amp to power 4 speakers, all through one channel.

    only 300w - does the job fine imo.

  3. #3
    Constant Bitrate roflcopter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Ripon, CA
    Posts
    149
    i'd assume you could run your front and rear outputs from your soundcard to a 4ch amp that that will take the front 1/2 and the rear on 3/4. then use a separate signal from the sub output to a 2ch amp and run the doors with a low pass filter at like 200hz and run the others with a hp at 200ish. or just run the front full range signals to all amps mentioned. but you wouldnt have fade control.

    i think the ohm's for the speakers you state is wrong though.

    i have an 07 9-3 4dr. my fronts 3.5" are 4ohm and so are the 4" in the rear deck. the door 6.5s are 2ohm. if youve ever tried fading the radio you may notice that if you fade to the front, front doors still putting out, and if you fade to the rear, front doors still fade. the AMP1 in the saab is very strange. there are 4 speaker lines going in and 7 coming out. the amp itself handles the combined impedance of this setup. im trying to figure out what im going to do still.

    i plan on splicing into the inputs going into the amp so i dont have to replace the amp yet. i put in some boston acoustic s35 in the dash and s45s in the rear deck and that made a HUGE difference in the sound in the car.

  4. #4
    MySQL Error scott_fx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles Ca
    Posts
    3,998
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcgibb View Post
    can i use a 4 channel amp (jl e4300) to drive 6 speakers? in my saab i have well 7 speakers if you include the centre one

    but say 6 speakers just now , front dash and rear doors are mid range and tweeters ,

    the front doors are bass

    can u use the jl to power them , and if so how do i wire it ?
    you probably could but it would require more information and the use of passive crossovers. to much trouble, time and money to achieve something that you'll probably only get 'satisfactory' results. Best bet; imho, is to purchase two sets of coaxial speakers, one for the front and one set for the rear and call it a day.

    Quote Originally Posted by dLockers View Post
    i use a 2 channel amp to power 4 speakers, all through one channel.

    only 300w - does the job fine imo.
    that sounds like a horrible setup, you're essentially just running all that off of one chan? that means you're setting yourself back decades and just using mono sound People spend a lot of time and money mastering cd's to take advantage of stereo sound and you're losing out on all that. what benefits are you getting by running all 4 speakers off of one chan? at the very least you should run two speakers off of each chan (left and right)


    Quote Originally Posted by roflcopter View Post
    i'd assume you could run your front and rear outputs from your soundcard to a 4ch amp that that will take the front 1/2 and the rear on 3/4. then use a separate signal from the sub output to a 2ch amp and run the doors with a low pass filter at like 200hz and run the others with a hp at 200ish. or just run the front full range signals to all amps mentioned. but you wouldnt have fade control.
    i may be misunderstanding you; but, It's a bad idea to run everything full range, a factory 3.5" speaker will probably only be able to handle 5 watts of power running full range. I wouldn't even consider running the factory 3.5" with anything below 200hz with even modest power.
    New System in progress:
    M10k
    Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
    Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
    Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
    Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
    Transflective Xenarc

    My Car Pc Install
    My Boat Pc worklog

  5. #5
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    725
    ummm dont do it, its a BAD idea, for all of the reasons mentioned above. either just run 4 speakers, or get a separate two channel amp. whatever little time/money you save doing it this way will come back to bite you later.

  6. #6
    Constant Bitrate roflcopter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Ripon, CA
    Posts
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by scott_fx View Post
    i may be misunderstanding you; but, It's a bad idea to run everything full range, a factory 3.5" speaker will probably only be able to handle 5 watts of power running full range. I wouldn't even consider running the factory 3.5" with anything below 200hz with even modest power.

    i just meant, if the front 1/2 and rear 3/4 didnt matter, then to run the 'full range' signal from the PC to the amp and let the filters on the amps do the work. ie... just the front stereo output split all of the the channels to the Left and Right


    The Saab has one of the strangest factory systems. In my 07 9-3 the stock amp is in the back, so itll be easy for me to splice into the inputs and run through the stock amp, temporarily.

    check out the forum on SaabCentral.com and search for audio. there are a lot of posts regarding the saab setup.

  7. #7
    MySQL Error scott_fx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles Ca
    Posts
    3,998
    Quote Originally Posted by roflcopter View Post
    i just meant, if the front 1/2 and rear 3/4 didnt matter, then to run the 'full range' signal from the PC to the amp and let the filters on the amps do the work. ie... just the front stereo output split all of the the channels to the Left and Right


    The Saab has one of the strangest factory systems. In my 07 9-3 the stock amp is in the back, so itll be easy for me to splice into the inputs and run through the stock amp, temporarily.

    check out the forum on SaabCentral.com and search for audio. there are a lot of posts regarding the saab setup.
    i gotcha, sorry i misunderstood.
    New System in progress:
    M10k
    Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
    Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
    Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
    Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
    Transflective Xenarc

    My Car Pc Install
    My Boat Pc worklog

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-29-2007, 11:45 PM
  2. Running all speakers off amp
    By bmxking5 in forum Car Audio
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-04-2007, 05:54 PM
  3. 5 channel amp + mono driving CENTER speakers?
    By vettejock99 in forum Car Audio
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-19-2006, 10:51 AM
  4. matching amp with speakers.
    By ketchup318 in forum Car Audio
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-19-2005, 01:01 PM
  5. I need to some basic information about amps
    By Bust_A_Cap in forum Car Audio
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 08-01-2004, 09:31 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •