Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 51

Thread: Help on speaker setup, PLEASE!!!!!!!!

  1. #1
    Who am I? HiJackZX1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    6,603

    Help on speaker setup, PLEASE!!!!!!!!

    This has been an issue that has been plaguing me since god knows when. I cant seem to focus (due to A.D.D and Hypertension). I start to think about it, take peoples advice, then start to over think, then loose focus and end up getting discombobulated. I think a while ago I had started a similar post, but couldn't find it. I figured id start off fresh.

    Currently the setup has a 9 speaker configuration.

    Six 6 1/2 speakers for the doors, Two front speakers (one for center, the other for phone), and the sub.

    The amps will be 2 Alpine PDX 4.100 and 1 Apline PDX 1.600. I decided to get rid of the original wiring and upgrade to 12 gauge speaker wire. I figured if I ran new cable, I can cut out the middle man (factory wiring) and simply run direct from the amp to the speaker. This hopefully will get rid of alot of EMI issues a was having before.

    My question is what type of speakers should I have? I drive a SUV, a big box, and I was told that I should have components in the 2 front doors, then regular speakers (2-way I guess) in all the other doors and areas. Does this sound right? The components are 110 RMS, and the 2 way are 100 RMS. My grand idea was to have components in all 6 speaker holes. For some reason my brain has been saying thats a bad idea. Its telling me that i should have components in the front door, the rear doors, but not in the third row. The third row should have regular speakers.

    What do you guys think I should have?
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

    1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

  2. #2
    Constant Bitrate thewizard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    141
    A decent component set in the front is really all you need. If you must have a set in the rear then a set of coax will do the trick. If you put too much in the rear all you will do is pull the sound stage to the rear of the vehicle and kill your overall sound quality and imaging. When you go to a concert the band plays in front of you not behind you, and this is fact what you are trying to reproduce.

  3. #3
    Who am I? HiJackZX1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    6,603
    Quote Originally Posted by thewizard View Post
    A decent component set in the front is really all you need. If you must have a set in the rear then a set of coax will do the trick. If you put too much in the rear all you will do is pull the sound stage to the rear of the vehicle and kill your overall sound quality and imaging. When you go to a concert the band plays in front of you not behind you, and this is fact what you are trying to reproduce.
    I forgot about the front staging. What your saying sounds logical. So the front should be component then all the rest should be 2 way speakers? Does the fact that I have a center speaker affect the front staging?
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

    1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

  4. #4
    Low Bitrate jake789's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by thewizard View Post
    A decent component set in the front is really all you need. If you must have a set in the rear then a set of coax will do the trick. If you put too much in the rear all you will do is pull the sound stage to the rear of the vehicle and kill your overall sound quality and imaging. When you go to a concert the band plays in front of you not behind you, and this is fact what you are trying to reproduce.
    People always quote the 'concert' example but I always thought its a bad idea for several reasons. Most shows have crap sound quality, either from the accoustics of the location/stage, bad sound engineers, or the fact that the tickets you buy are probably not in mid-center of the stage. Not to mention the fact that its near impossible to have your sub up front.

    Personally, I prefer hearing a good recording played on a high end HT system. This way it feels like you are in the middle of the music. Plus it seems like the OP is going for more of a HT setup anyways.

  5. #5
    Low Bitrate jake789's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by HiJackZX1 View Post
    I forgot about the front staging. What your saying sounds logical. So the front should be component then all the rest should be 2 way speakers? Does the fact that I have a center speaker affect the front staging?
    Center speaker in front is ok as long as you use a pc as your source. I would use a seperate midbass/tweeter though. Since tweeters are very directional you will want to play around with their placements to find the best sound.

  6. #6
    Maximum Bitrate Crinos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Kristiansand, Norway
    Posts
    489
    Hum, if you look into what component speakers truly are...
    A set of midragne speaker and a tweeter/discant speaker and a crosover filter box to splitt the signal to the correct place/speaker.

    The discant is very directional, and on stock system, placed so that the speaker points directly to the driver+passanger.

    My thoughts, is that you should most defently have component in the front.
    And perhaps find some good 4-way speakers to have in the back rows. (Sony have a 6:9 4-way speaker that is incredible good audio wise, and cheap as well).

    The "Concert" example is good, but not true.
    You can still have good audio in each place, if done correctly. Meaning, adjusting levles so that while sitting in the middle row. The volume from the middel row speakers are what you hear.

    (Just as a little note, many big concerts have speakers placed out amongst the publicum to even out the sound quality for the ppl in the back row) And the sound quality is allways best around the sound tech

    and very Off topic... one way to check if the sound mixer dude is good or bad... listen to the pre-configuration of the stage... If he play Michael Jacksson or Pink Floyd... He truly knows what he does.. Don't need to like the music, but it's PERFECT to adjust a big stage with!

  7. #7
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by HiJackZX1 View Post
    My question is what type of speakers should I have? I drive a SUV, a big box, and I was told that I should have components in the 2 front doors, then regular speakers (2-way I guess) in all the other doors and areas.
    Having components (separate mid and tweeter) makes it possible to mount the tweeter closer to ear level, thus bringing the sound stage higher and making it more natural. Disadvantage is the need to install the tweeters and the crossover, as well as issues which are caused by the separation of mid and tweeter by a significant distance (wave cancellations, time differential), since sound will be coming from 2 points now, especially for sounds that are near the crossover points, so are reproduced by mid and tweeter.

    Having coaxials eliminates that, but if the speaker is low, then the sound stage will also be low. Some have rotating tweeters, you can point them upwards. There's less installation hassle of course, since you only have to install one speaker, and not 2 + crossover.

    Go with components in the front for sure. As for rear: do you want passengers to have better quality, and do you want to do the extra work? Components will also cost bit more, since there are extra parts for crossover.

    Which speakers do you have in mind?

    And no matter what you install, remember, car door is not the perfect speaker enclosure. You may need to apply some sound deadener to the door panels. Car audio can be very time consuming, if you want to get it as close as possible to perfection.

  8. #8
    Who am I? HiJackZX1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    6,603
    Quote Originally Posted by digital79 View Post
    Having components (separate mid and tweeter) makes it possible to mount the tweeter closer to ear level, thus bringing the sound stage higher and making it more natural. Disadvantage is the need to install the tweeters and the crossover, as well as issues which are caused by the separation of mid and tweeter by a significant distance (wave cancellations, time differential), since sound will be coming from 2 points now, especially for sounds that are near the crossover points, so are reproduced by mid and tweeter.

    Having coaxials eliminates that, but if the speaker is low, then the sound stage will also be low. Some have rotating tweeters, you can point them upwards. There's less installation hassle of course, since you only have to install one speaker, and not 2 + crossover.

    Go with components in the front for sure. As for rear: do you want passengers to have better quality, and do you want to do the extra work? Components will also cost bit more, since there are extra parts for crossover.

    Which speakers do you have in mind?

    And no matter what you install, remember, car door is not the perfect speaker enclosure. You may need to apply some sound deadener to the door panels. Car audio can be very time consuming, if you want to get it as close as possible to perfection.
    Yes car audio can be very time consuming and confusing for me. Im learning that now. Yes components cost more, and yes you need space, but I am actually willing to go through both. I WANT THIS TO SOUND SUPER SUPER GOOD! So I should go components all the way around? Front, Middle and Rear?
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

    1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

  9. #9
    Variable Bitrate
    Auto Apps:loading...
    thekl0wn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    PoCo, Indiana
    Posts
    284
    If you're going for an SQ install, then you should be concentrating on your front stage, and ignoring all else at the moment. Get the front stage nailed down, and then look into adding on all the extra "bling". IMO
    Play with it, 'til it's broke.

  10. #10
    Low Bitrate jake789's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by HiJackZX1 View Post
    So I should go components all the way around? Front, Middle and Rear?
    Yes, components are usually always better than 2-way's.

    Mount the midbass in the stock doors. You will want to deaden the doors if you really want it to sound its best.

    The hard part will be tweeter location. A good starting point is to focus both tweeters at a point in between the driver and passenger at eye level. Then play around with different positions until they sound the best. Also remember that the tweeters will sound the best when the left and right are equal distance from the listener. This usually means mounting them as far away as possible which is why people like the kickpanel.

    For the rear seats, you might want to try mounting the tweeters in the headliner.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. My 2006 Scion xB (portable) Carputer setup! w/pics!
    By breaker021 in forum Show off your project
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 01-05-2007, 09:34 AM
  2. Speaker Blown???
    By 3onDubs in forum Car Audio
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-10-2006, 11:55 AM
  3. very strange speaker problem
    By saddlebacks in forum Car Audio
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-02-2006, 05:36 AM
  4. car amp with default speakers?
    By 273BeLow in forum Car Audio
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 03-29-2005, 11:53 PM
  5. help with my wifi setup?
    By ŠuTcH in forum Wireless Communications
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-05-2004, 11:10 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •