Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Not getting power at EQ or AMP...

  1. #1
    Low Bitrate sspiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    61

    Exclamation Not getting power at EQ or AMP...

    In the process of assembling my in-car tablet.

    I've removed the headunit for good. I planned on using the aftermarket harness for my car to power the eq (preamp) via 12v wire (yellow) as well as the remote for the eq and the remote for my amps (blue). Harness ground to chassis, EQ ground to chassis. Different spots. Both within a foot or so of the device.

    The EQ isn't powering up, nor is the Amp. What could I be doing wrong? I don't have a DC multimeter to test the current. All fuses are good (at amp, EQ, under-dash 10a, and under-hood 15a).

    Should I run a new power and remote from the fuse box via add-a-circuit?

    HELP, this is driving me INSANE, and in the interim I have no tunage.
    [ 2011 Nissan Altima 2.5 S | Dark Slate | CVT | HTC Evo View 4G In-Car Tablet | Interior LEDs | DDM 6000K ]
    [ Massive VK6 Front Stage | 3xJL W610 | Zapco AG750 | Alpine MRPF240 | Clarion EQS746 ]

  2. #2
    MySQL Error soundman98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    on the border of northern IL/IN
    Posts
    5,848
    what year/make/model car are we talking about?

    and you know this is one of those cases where having a volt meter of any type really helps

    i've learned to always keep a cheap $3-5 harbor freight meter in the car at all times. they aren't anything that i would trust for precise work, but is good enough for basic trouble shooting.

  3. #3
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Edison, New Jersey, United States
    Posts
    60
    i like working with pictures ;-) also did u put the remote turn on waire for your eq to ignition so it will turn on when u start your car, yellow is constant on an aftermarket harness,red is ignition , also what do u mean ground in 2 different spots?

  4. #4
    Low Bitrate sspiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
    what year/make/model car are we talking about?

    and you know this is one of those cases where having a volt meter of any type really helps

    i've learned to always keep a cheap $3-5 harbor freight meter in the car at all times. they aren't anything that i would trust for precise work, but is good enough for basic trouble shooting.
    2011 Nissan Altima.

    I know it.. I need to go find one.

    Quote Originally Posted by Michae View Post
    i like working with pictures ;-) also did u put the remote turn on waire for your eq to ignition so it will turn on when u start your car, yellow is constant on an aftermarket harness,red is ignition , also what do u mean ground in 2 different spots?
    Yes. The aftermarket harness was already wired properly, because it was attached to a headunit. I've now uninstalled the headunit, to replace with a tablet. In its place, I have a wire from the blue in the harness to the amp (pre-existing, was functioning fine before i uninstalled HU), and to the remote on the EQ. A wire from the yellow in the harness to the power on the EQ.

    Two grounds meaning... There is a ground in the aftermarket harness, and a ground for the eq. Both are grounded at the chassis, two different spots.
    Last edited by sspiro; 06-04-2012 at 04:33 AM.
    [ 2011 Nissan Altima 2.5 S | Dark Slate | CVT | HTC Evo View 4G In-Car Tablet | Interior LEDs | DDM 6000K ]
    [ Massive VK6 Front Stage | 3xJL W610 | Zapco AG750 | Alpine MRPF240 | Clarion EQS746 ]

  5. #5
    MySQL Error soundman98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    on the border of northern IL/IN
    Posts
    5,848
    i've found a lot of aftermarket harnesses include a ground wire, but the car wiring won't actually have a ground.. don't rely on it to be there..


    also make sure you're tying into the right blue wire. there can be a blue/white and a solid blue. one is usually for factory amp turn on, and the other is usually for a factory power antenna.. but again, i've seen both wires in a aftermarket harness adapter, even if the car doesn't have that option.

    you should be tying all of your equipment into the red wire to trigger it on-- assuming michae got it right-- i always get them confused...


    and for your volt meter search:

    http://www.harborfreight.com/storelo...orgia&x=0&y=0#

  6. #6
    Low Bitrate sspiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
    i've found a lot of aftermarket harnesses include a ground wire, but the car wiring won't actually have a ground.. don't rely on it to be there..


    also make sure you're tying into the right blue wire. there can be a blue/white and a solid blue. one is usually for factory amp turn on, and the other is usually for a factory power antenna.. but again, i've seen both wires in a aftermarket harness adapter, even if the car doesn't have that option.

    you should be tying all of your equipment into the red wire to trigger it on-- assuming michae got it right-- i always get them confused...


    and for your volt meter search:

    http://www.harborfreight.com/storelo...orgia&x=0&y=0#
    That did the trick. I tied all the remotes to the red wire, and we're good.

    Thank you sir. I'm going to pick up this meter this weekend.
    [ 2011 Nissan Altima 2.5 S | Dark Slate | CVT | HTC Evo View 4G In-Car Tablet | Interior LEDs | DDM 6000K ]
    [ Massive VK6 Front Stage | 3xJL W610 | Zapco AG750 | Alpine MRPF240 | Clarion EQS746 ]

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-13-2009, 04:08 PM
  2. Power your laptop/mobile device wirelessly- (Wireless Power Induction)
    By hexxamillion in forum Laptops, Netbooks, Tablets, UMPCs, etc.
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 04-03-2009, 11:07 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-25-2006, 11:35 PM
  4. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 04-05-2005, 09:54 AM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-01-2004, 12:20 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •