Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Audio from Motherboard to amplifier...NOOB question

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2012

    Audio from Motherboard to amplifier...NOOB question

    I think I have a handle on this, but wanted to be sure. I have an Intel ATOM DN2800MT motherboard. This thing is so self contained, I don't see a lot of room to expand it other than USB. Well I was wondering if I could just run the audio off the board to an external amp and go from there. I think I can use a 3.5mm plug to dual RCA spliter cable to run into the amp, but now I'm not sure what to do for the front/rear fading. This board supposedly supports 4 channel audio, which sucks as I would need to break a sub out of that somehow, but it only has the Green/Pink connectors. Green being audio, pink being mic. Any thoughts?

  2. #2
    Variable Bitrate Dartman_71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Motherboards integrated sound output level is quite low, if you don't like buy HQ soundcard with 2V output, I recommend to buy Equalizer ex. Clarion EQS746. Just use 3.5mm plug to dual RCA spliter cable to run sound into EQ, and from EQ to amplifiers. Then you have 7 volts output level, equalizer, fader, sub out etc.

  3. #3
    MySQL Error soundman98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    on the border of northern IL/IN
    ^ good recommendation on the eq unit.

    cars are all kind of odd in the fact that they have the same audio signal on the front and rear speakers. most computers don't have the option to control rear fill because they are expecting a surround source that has 4-encoded channels within the signal. most audio is only 2 channels, so most computers only play it on the front 2 speakers.

    some computer's with the realtek driver have a option in the sound settings to "enable rear fill" which will allow a 2ch source to be played on all the speakers, though i have never had a board with that option so i don't know the in's and out's of that feature.

    otherwise, if you absolutely need fading capabilities, a external eq is the easiest and cheapest method to get that feature..

  4. #4
    Constant Bitrate BassBinDevil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Vancouver Island, B.C.
    I might use the S/PDIF out from the motherboard or USB sound device, then a DAC or "Digital to Analog Audio Converter" ($20 on eBay). If there's enough output from the DAC, I might get away with a couple of passive pots for volume and front/rear fader, but an active 12V preamp and line driver would be a safer bet. An equalizer might add enough gain to get away with just passive volume and faders. Too bad there aren't more head units or processors with S/PDIF inputs. But since I have one, what I'd really do is just feed the S/PDIF into the Panasonic surround processor, and use its volume control, subwoofer, and rear channel outputs.

  5. #5
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    West Springfield, MA
    Found this thread through a search, that EQ is exactly what I'm looking for. Now I need something else to fill the other 1/2 of the DIN slot that this will go in. Any suggestions?

Similar Threads

  1. Noob audio question
    By raggedrebel92 in forum Newbie
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-18-2012, 03:00 PM
  2. Complete computer noob ... What size motherboard is this?
    By cdseven95 in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-13-2011, 10:20 PM
  3. Stupid Noob Audio Question
    By FantaXP7 in forum Car Audio
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 11-29-2010, 06:04 PM
  4. Motherboard to Amplifier
    By jschrauwen in forum Car Audio
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-26-2006, 06:28 AM
  5. FS: JL Audio 300/4 Amplifier
    By komrad in forum Classified Archive
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-24-2006, 04:01 PM


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts