PC Causing Noise, Suggestions?
First, I have narrowed the problem to the PC: plug in an mp3 player and the noise dissipates.
I am assuming my issue is with grounding (the psu, motherboard, graphics card, or pc case). I am pretty good at troubleshooting but my technical understanding leans towards novice when it comes to audio (car audio). Therefore, I've come here to download your insights.
My thoughts on isolating/fixing the issue:
- I tried grounding the pc case to the psu ground. No difference.
- I have not yet tried running a ground cable to the battery directly--that will eliminate my psu to body ground point as the source. If ground is issue, yay, find new ground though I anticipate that is not the problem.
- I would prefer not putting some device inline on the rca/audio cables if there is another solution.
- I believe the noise is caused by the system fan. If the noise persists after grounding to the battery it will confirm that, right?
- If it is system fan, would an aftermarket fan do the trick or go with some fanless heatsink and run a (few) san ace h1011 at low rpms wired to the ignition??
Any suggestions? Is this caused by some ground loop? (I don't understand ground loops)
Let me know if I left something out or need to clarify... I'm a few beers in.