Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Sony's HU's and this Bus Audio In crap

  1. #1
    Maximum Bitrate falconey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    836

    Sony's HU's and this Bus Audio In crap

    Got my radio stolen after being in the mall for 20 minutes so I had to purchase a new one. I decided since I'm getting a new hu then why not get one with aux in. It'll give me better sound(supposedly) than the modulater head unit setup that I had. The kenwood I had was awesome and played mp3s and so on, but I digress. I go to best buy and they have this sony xplod unit that normally sells for 200 marked down to 119. Liked the look was told it had aux inputs and pre amp outs for front, rear and subs. Played with the display and filed through the source and saw AUX. I was sold. As an overall unit it didn't even compare to the one that I just had, but for the carputer install it gave me control over sound and most importantly it had the rca inputs. Well installed it tried them out and was like what the hell when I tried the inputs. Read instructions after this and realized this is some special crap sony has(I've never owned any sony car audio). I've researched today and found I need this XA-300 that goes for 100 bucks.

    There's gotta be a way around this. Has anyone figured it out. I mean can I get the bus cord and plug it directly to the computer? Or can I get it plug it up to an old cheap cd changer just to get the aux to read, but have the rca's coming from the computer for the sound? Or has someone come up with something even better? Thanks in advance for the help.

  2. #2
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    239
    guess you're screwed. well not completely. you could plug said head unit in the computer's line input
    I don't need no stinkin' startup-shutdown controller... That's what journalized filesystems are for...
    NavSys, the ultimate navigation app
    http://www.navsys.org/

  3. #3
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    314
    I don't know if the CD changers control is required for the aux ins to allow audio or not, but you could hook the computer to the aux in rcas that the cd changer would normally use. I have a sony head unit, but also have a cd changer. In the past I have put a RCA switcher on the inputs to the radio for switching between CD changer audio and computer audio. The only problem with that is that the CD player still "played". Again, I always had a changer hooked to the control cord so I'm not sure if there is a way to get the aux in to work without that connection or not.
    2006 Chevy Colorado: VIA M10000 EDEN, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB 2.5" Seagate HDD, USB Slim Slot DVD/RW, Holux GPS, MobileVU 10.4" LCD (touch not working yet), VOOMPC Case (blue), 70W DC-DC supply.

  4. #4
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Hudsonville, MI
    Posts
    2
    I had this problem as well. One of the reasons I got my head unit was because I wanted the AUX in, and the guy that sold it to me told me it had them. I was not-the-less upset over that. However after spending some time looking for a way to work around this, I haven't come up with anything. I guess the only way is to get the XA-300, or find out what inside it and see if you can make it your self.

  5. #5
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    95
    the XA-300 can be had for under $50, has 3 audio inputs (1 for USB audio)
    1 headphone output and is well worth the investment.

  6. #6
    Maximum Bitrate falconey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    836
    Quote Originally Posted by ZanGManN
    the XA-300 can be had for under $50, has 3 audio inputs (1 for USB audio)
    1 headphone output and is well worth the investment.
    Where can I get it for $50?

  7. #7
    Maximum Bitrate falconey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    836
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackso
    I don't know if the CD changers control is required for the aux ins to allow audio or not, but you could hook the computer to the aux in rcas that the cd changer would normally use. I have a sony head unit, but also have a cd changer. In the past I have put a RCA switcher on the inputs to the radio for switching between CD changer audio and computer audio. The only problem with that is that the CD player still "played". Again, I always had a changer hooked to the control cord so I'm not sure if there is a way to get the aux in to work without that connection or not.
    This was the route I was looking to go. Get a cheap changer with cord included and then I can have that running but never use it. I'd rather get the XA-300, but I've only seen it for $100 not $50.

  8. #8
    Constant Bitrate TaylorMade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    209
    or you could spend the extra money, and get the cdx-f5700, which I nabbed at Circuit City for $200, that has the inputs that work without the XA-300.
    2008 Ford Expedition EL Ltd

    Carputer yanked from the Jeep and Denali and waiting to be installed in the Ford.

  9. #9
    Maximum Bitrate falconey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    836
    Quote Originally Posted by TaylorMade
    or you could spend the extra money, and get the cdx-f5700, which I nabbed at Circuit City for $200, that has the inputs that work without the XA-300.
    That's an option as well. I'll look into it.

  10. #10
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    95
    I purchased mine off ebay, overstock.com has them in once and a while as well. Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •