Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 148

Thread: 1/3 Octave Software EQ

  1. #61
    MySQL Error scott_fx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles Ca
    Posts
    3,983
    thanks quack. i actually asked david (centrafuse) about vst. he says it's not supported right now..hopefully with enough interest he will impliment it. anyone reading this should go and show interest on that thread.


    on the hardware front, my orig 'tease' isn't as great as i was hoping but i found this:
    http://www.stereo-link.com/Static/1200Desc.html

    i'm researching this a bit more, but as far as the hardware side of this thread is concerned (it's an equally important part of the great sq equation) this looks promissing. It's one of the less expensive usb dac's out there. even though it's only two chan. it will be close to tha alpine's price even if you need two. this is better then the spdif-out to alpine because of the upsampling that spdif does to 44.1k. also spdif if one way where usb is two way and therefore error correction can be implemented. i'm not exactly sure if that is the case for the above linked product but i'm researching it. I want to find out if we can power it with a regulated 12volt psu and bypass the ac transformers.
    New System in progress:
    M10k
    Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
    Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
    Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
    Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
    Transflective Xenarc

    My Car Pc Install
    My Boat Pc worklog

  2. #62
    FLAC
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,164
    Quote Originally Posted by Red GTi VR6
    Genesis - I don't think you've gotten the whole point to this thread....lol
    Hehe...maybe, but i'm not seeing how you're getting all that equipment into 2 Dins without hours and hours of design. see, there's the thermal aspect that needs to be addressed. you CAN cram all that into there spacially, but I've tried to cram in as much as i could without a complete meltdown in those hot days... The MP3+ with its RCA out, i had hoped, would be a compromise as we use a software eq for it all. Take it to a line driver/crossover, like a 3xs or 6xs, and you've got everything you wanted short of a screen. at 1-1.5 din you could probably fit a flip out screen and be done with it.

    Instant on would be provided by the ram and CE.net or linux (lindows if need be). I mean, other than the sound issue noise issue that scott is complaining about , i can't think of a better way to get mid to high end sound off of over-the-counter, and cheap, items, with the least about of computer progrmming expereince neccessary. Sure, i can cram in a PPC logic board (smallest and most powerful that i can think of that doens't need a fan or take up too much power) to do the sound processing and work around that, but i mean...why?

    Sorry i missed the point though guys, i'll reread...maybe.

    Scott, let's see what you got (not a challenge, just curious )
    Carputer Progress: Here we go again...

    THE GF THEME
    Genesis has speed
    Genesis has class
    Genesis sent money
    before your a__;)

    Join the fight against carputters. EMAIL ME!

  3. #63
    _
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Little Elm, Texas
    Posts
    13,500
    the MP3+ isn't applicable in these terms...we're looking for HIGH QUALITY, multiple RCA outs with high enough voltage to be worth a damn.

    why? because searching for new and better options, and developing those new and better options is what makes the world go round
    Jan Bennett
    FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

    Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

  4. #64
    MySQL Error scott_fx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles Ca
    Posts
    3,983
    Quote Originally Posted by scott_fx
    thanks quack. i actually asked david (centrafuse) about vst. he says it's not supported right now..hopefully with enough interest he will impliment it. anyone reading this should go and show interest on that thread.


    on the hardware front, my orig 'tease' isn't as great as i was hoping but i found this:
    http://www.stereo-link.com/Static/1200Desc.html

    i'm researching this a bit more, but as far as the hardware side of this thread is concerned (it's an equally important part of the great sq equation) this looks promissing. It's one of the less expensive usb dac's out there. even though it's only two chan. it will be close to tha alpine's price even if you need two. this is better then the spdif-out to alpine because of the upsampling that spdif does to 44.1k. also spdif if one way where usb is two way and therefore error correction can be implemented. i'm not exactly sure if that is the case for the above linked product but i'm researching it. I want to find out if we can power it with a regulated 12volt psu and bypass the ac transformers.
    this is the reply i got from the stereo-link company:
    Dear Scott,

    Thank you for your interest in stereo-link.

    We have had at least one customer that we know about use the stereo-link in a custom car application a couple years ago. The system was posted on his website, but we cannot locate the link to it.

    The stereo-link uses the built-in USB drivers in your operating system - we do not supply any special drivers. So any software that performs the functions you want should work.

    The internal power supply generates +/- 5 V for the analog section, so you cannot connect it to a 12V system. We suggest you try some web searches to see if you can find the reference above. We will check again and pass on any information we find.

    one thing i dont know about is the voltage on the outputs. i'll email them about that. but the usb dac options seem very promising if we can find the right specs.

    's
    New System in progress:
    M10k
    Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
    Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
    Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
    Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
    Transflective Xenarc

    My Car Pc Install
    My Boat Pc worklog

  5. #65
    _
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Little Elm, Texas
    Posts
    13,500
    I really appreciate this bit of information:

    I have a soundcard with SPDIF output. Isn't that as good?
    Anyone who has been seriously looking at the performance of sound cards can tell you that what comes out of the S/PDIF output is probably not a very "clean" copy of the original. Many of the most popular soundcards perform all of their internal "processing" at a 48 kHz sampling rate, which is NOT the rate that most music (MP3's & CDs, for example) are recorded at. This means the music undergoes a sample rate conversion, which introduces a significant amount of distortion. Professional products that are designed to do this conversion correctly can cost thousands of dollars. Obviously your sound card isn't in that league. You can see examples of the problem by visiting our page.

    Also, when you use coaxial SPDIF, you are connecting the computer's ground to your stereo system - not a terribly good idea. So the obvious question is, "won't the stereo-link have the same problem with the USB?" We've taken care of that by incorporating isolation circuitry to keep the computer ground separate from the analog output.


    however, the fact that there's only 2 RCA outs on this thing worries me....your thoughts Scott?
    Jan Bennett
    FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

    Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

  6. #66
    FLAC
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,164
    okay, re read..i get it now and rethought it through. hopefully i'm at yoru level now. my biggest question is are we still sticking with a software based eq or no? That makes all the ifference in the world to me at this point..

    Also, what's the price you guys are looking at designing with?

    Also, with origami, and <$1000 handheld computers coming out soon, shoudlnt we wait to use that as the basics (use that screen (which is transflective and much better in general than any xenarac) ans use that logic board, software, and hardware for the base computer. It shoudl be alot easier to work with from there as then you solved most of the major issues, and now you have to deal with getting the sound you want (yes the driving factor, but still, with the space we save using an parted origami devce, we can do so much with).

    I'll research a bit on the m-audio and the other solutions posted after rmy birthday. If anyone cares to IM me on aim and talk about this, my AIM is Genesis Factor. If a few of you guys aren't afraid to rip apart these things, if that's what you're going to end up doing, as that's hwat i woudl do, and woudl care to send me some measurements, that will be great as i will then 3d model it in Inventor and we can start with that. I'm highy interested in helping out, but just don't get me too jealous and want one of my own...i'm too close to finishing up my carputer to want to trash it in favor of this yet
    Carputer Progress: Here we go again...

    THE GF THEME
    Genesis has speed
    Genesis has class
    Genesis sent money
    before your a__;)

    Join the fight against carputters. EMAIL ME!

  7. #67
    MySQL Error scott_fx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles Ca
    Posts
    3,983
    Quote Originally Posted by Red GTi VR6
    however, the fact that there's only 2 RCA outs on this thing worries me....your thoughts Scott?
    I think that it shouldn't be problem running two of these boards, but yes...getting the correct sgnals to each is what is worrying me. BUT...

    I've been talking to a pro installer and he said that passive eq's work very well. it's when you get into ones that are adjustable that you get into trouble. Also i've been getting the same response from another guy at work that used to do mastering and is a true audiophile.

    Quote Originally Posted by Genesisfactor
    okay, re read..i get it now and rethought it through. hopefully i'm at yoru level now. my biggest question is are we still sticking with a software based eq or no? That makes all the ifference in the world to me at this point..

    Also, what's the price you guys are looking at designing with?

    Also, with origami, and <$1000 handheld computers coming out soon, shoudlnt we wait to use that as the basics (use that screen (which is transflective and much better in general than any xenarac) ans use that logic board, software, and hardware for the base computer. It shoudl be alot easier to work with from there as then you solved most of the major issues, and now you have to deal with getting the sound you want (yes the driving factor, but still, with the space we save using an parted origami devce, we can do so much with).

    I'll research a bit on the m-audio and the other solutions posted after rmy birthday. If anyone cares to IM me on aim and talk about this, my AIM is Genesis Factor. If a few of you guys aren't afraid to rip apart these things, if that's what you're going to end up doing, as that's hwat i woudl do, and woudl care to send me some measurements, that will be great as i will then 3d model it in Inventor and we can start with that. I'm highy interested in helping out, but just don't get me too jealous and want one of my own...i'm too close to finishing up my carputer to want to trash it in favor of this yet

    very cool genesis. I am trying to keep the component cost within a $100 of the apline units. There are other solutions that i've been talking to people over at kxproject about, but I think they'd get pretty pricey with some of the dac's that you'd need to use plus a soundcard and then you have to take into consideration the upsampling of spdif.

    but as this thread started...this is almost totally based on getting a good software based eq. It would be great if we could get one of the front end authors to incorperate some of the vst plug-ins or sdk's. (i'd love for it to be centrafuse because i love that front end, but if someone else had it i'd have to switch front ends)
    New System in progress:
    M10k
    Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
    Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
    Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
    Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
    Transflective Xenarc

    My Car Pc Install
    My Boat Pc worklog

  8. #68
    MySQL Error scott_fx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles Ca
    Posts
    3,983
    i also noticed that m-audio has a sdk....hmmm, i wonder if anyone can cram a eq into there drivers :-)
    New System in progress:
    M10k
    Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
    Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
    Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
    Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
    Transflective Xenarc

    My Car Pc Install
    My Boat Pc worklog

  9. #69
    FLAC
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,164
    so...with screen and everything, you want this all in one soltion to be around $500-$700? Maybe i'm overengineering, lol, but i was sticking with a total price of maybe $1500 for the prototype (~$800 for the comptuer, $300-$400 for sound processing, $50-$100 for fabrication- we'll need a shop for the double din solution, esp with the need for a screen that will slip down for the slot load-, and the rest to all the little odds and ends we're going to want to put into it). I mean, even 1500 seems a bit on the low side...assuming we dont' blow up soemthing

    also, i'm going to need a crash cource in audiophile as i'm just a noob who researches:P
    Carputer Progress: Here we go again...

    THE GF THEME
    Genesis has speed
    Genesis has class
    Genesis sent money
    before your a__;)

    Join the fight against carputters. EMAIL ME!

  10. #70
    MySQL Error scott_fx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles Ca
    Posts
    3,983
    sorry, i meant just the audio interface to be on par (costwise)with the alpine unit. i think trying to pigeon hole everyone on the forum to one particular hardware setup up is unrealistic. plus...we all have something that works, as far as the computer is concerned...i'm just focusing my energy and time on signal quality now.


    oh, btw...are you a modeler? That how i earn my living :-) i work for a feature film effects studio. what's inventor though?
    New System in progress:
    M10k
    Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
    Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
    Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
    Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
    Transflective Xenarc

    My Car Pc Install
    My Boat Pc worklog

Similar Threads

  1. CarPal Bluetooth Module & Digimoto Software....A Very Good Combo..
    By jmciver in forum Engine Management, OBD-II, Engine Diagnostics, etc.
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-16-2006, 04:08 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-15-2005, 01:38 PM
  3. Which EQ?
    By accentsound in forum Road Runner
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-18-2005, 03:09 AM
  4. Are there any software EQ solutions?
    By The Grinch in forum Software & Software Development
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-07-2004, 10:02 AM
  5. Winamp 2.9x and 5.x EQ.
    By stevewm in forum Software & Software Development
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-23-2003, 10:17 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •