Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Front Door Speakers in a BMW 3 Series

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Richmond, British Columbia
    Posts
    27

    Front Door Speakers in a BMW 3 Series

    Has anyone changed the speakers and tweeters in the front doors of thier BMW 3 Series? Mine did not come with the Harmon/Kardon factory upgrade, so I'm looking to install some new speakers.

    However my brands of choice are Rockford Fosgate or Alpine, BUT www.crutchfield.com says that neither RF or Alpine's 6-1/2" speakers will fit in the front doors of my car.

    The only front speakers it says will fit are some Kicker speakers I've never heard of before. The only difference I can see between the Kicker speakers and the Alpine speakers are a top mount depth of 2" on the Kickers' and 2-1/4" on the Alpine type S ones.

    Surely 1/4" is a small enough distance to allow the speakers to have a modified fit, but crutchfield doesn't even list any speakers that will have a modified fit for the car.

    So I'm just asking if anyone has installed any aftermarket speakers in thier 3 Series (other than the Kickers which apparently fit)

    Thanks

  2. #2
    FLAC XC-C30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Abele, Belgium
    Posts
    1,260
    what model 3-series are we talking about? and it's bull only kicker fits! all speakers with a normal euronorm chassis will fit. as for mountingdepth: take out your stockspeakers and measure up the hole. if you don't have anough mountingdepth, you could be thinking of putting an adapter on your existing speakerholes to mount them on.
    Xenia & Isabelle, totally in love!

    'T SQiekenkot: VOLVO 740GL 2.3

    CarPC: none at the moment
    CLARION HX-D2
    CLARION APA4300HX => Fountek NeoCd1.0 + TB W4-1337SD
    CLARION APA4300HX => CSS Trio8
    CLARION APA2100 => Dayton IB385-8

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Richmond, British Columbia
    Posts
    27
    I've got a 2003 320i, I'll go try and figure out how to remove the door speakers.

  4. #4
    FLAC
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Posts
    1,109
    You've gotta take the door off. The speakers are attached to the door panel from behind.

  5. #5
    Maximum Bitrate 3onDubs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Anaheim Hills, Ca
    Posts
    847
    Quote Originally Posted by ajdale
    Has anyone changed the speakers and tweeters in the front doors of thier BMW 3 Series? Mine did not come with the Harmon/Kardon factory upgrade, so I'm looking to install some new speakers.

    However my brands of choice are Rockford Fosgate or Alpine, BUT www.crutchfield.com says that neither RF or Alpine's 6-1/2" speakers will fit in the front doors of my car.

    The only front speakers it says will fit are some Kicker speakers I've never heard of before. The only difference I can see between the Kicker speakers and the Alpine speakers are a top mount depth of 2" on the Kickers' and 2-1/4" on the Alpine type S ones.

    Surely 1/4" is a small enough distance to allow the speakers to have a modified fit, but crutchfield doesn't even list any speakers that will have a modified fit for the car.

    So I'm just asking if anyone has installed any aftermarket speakers in thier 3 Series (other than the Kickers which apparently fit)

    Thanks
    I have an 04 3 series sedan and i've changed my speakers prolly around 4 or 5 times so far. Crutchfield is right....unless you are willing to cut holes in your door metal, you won't be able to fit 6.5" speakers in there. The largest drop in speaker that you can fit (and that i recommend) are the diamond hex's (S600's). It's a component set with 6" mids and these will be a direct replacement for your stock front speakers.

    Other than those speakers, any 5.25" component set will fit in there.

    I ended up cutting holes in my door metal and mounting some 6.5" woofers directly to my door and then dynamatting around them. The purpose of that was to fit a bigger speaker while maximizing midbass. There are many threads on this topic on http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22. You should be able to find all the bmw audio information you need by searching that page.
    PostCount++


    - SrCsTc's Bezel
    - Alpine W200/H701
    - ED Nine.2X
    - OZ Matrix Elites
    - ED Nine.1
    - Idmax 12's

  6. #6
    FLAC XC-C30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Abele, Belgium
    Posts
    1,260
    I'm sorry but it REALY is a load of crap you're telling here! I've seen enough E46's with 16.5 without anything being cut out. just mount a 16.5 adapter o, your existing speaker-holes and you'll be fine! unless the American BMW's are that different from the European ones.
    Xenia & Isabelle, totally in love!

    'T SQiekenkot: VOLVO 740GL 2.3

    CarPC: none at the moment
    CLARION HX-D2
    CLARION APA4300HX => Fountek NeoCd1.0 + TB W4-1337SD
    CLARION APA4300HX => CSS Trio8
    CLARION APA2100 => Dayton IB385-8

  7. #7
    Maximum Bitrate 3onDubs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Anaheim Hills, Ca
    Posts
    847
    Quote Originally Posted by IC-C30
    I'm sorry but it REALY is a load of crap you're telling here! I've seen enough E46's with 16.5 without anything being cut out. just mount a 16.5 adapter o, your existing speaker-holes and you'll be fine! unless the American BMW's are that different from the European ones.
    16.5 inches???????? That's a big freakin speaker bro...u'd be lucky to get it in the trunk.


    Without modifying the mounting location, you won't be able to fit 6.5's. IF you get mounting rings and break the stock mounting prongs off (there are 3 large prongs...breaking them off is irreversable), then you can create a custom mounting location on the door panel that accomodate up to a 7" speaker depending on the speaker's depth. Most 6.5" speakers will be too deep to fit in that location without cutting a hole in the door metal. I have OZ audio matrix elites and their magnets would hit the door and not allow me to mount the door panel back on...i needed another 1.5" of clearance, so i cut holes in my doors.
    PostCount++


    - SrCsTc's Bezel
    - Alpine W200/H701
    - ED Nine.2X
    - OZ Matrix Elites
    - ED Nine.1
    - Idmax 12's

  8. #8
    FLAC XC-C30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Abele, Belgium
    Posts
    1,260
    talking 'bout cm's..... not inches
    Xenia & Isabelle, totally in love!

    'T SQiekenkot: VOLVO 740GL 2.3

    CarPC: none at the moment
    CLARION HX-D2
    CLARION APA4300HX => Fountek NeoCd1.0 + TB W4-1337SD
    CLARION APA4300HX => CSS Trio8
    CLARION APA2100 => Dayton IB385-8

  9. #9
    Maximum Bitrate 3onDubs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Anaheim Hills, Ca
    Posts
    847
    Quote Originally Posted by IC-C30
    talking 'bout cm's..... not inches
    Oops...ur right then. In my first install, i had 6.5" CDT CF-61's mounted to the doors with 6.5" mdf speaker rings bolted to the stock location. The magnet touched the door metal, but they barely fit.


    I still recommend getting the Diamond hex's. They sound excellent and are a direct replacement for your stock speakers (the stock speakers in the e46 are 6" all the way around).
    PostCount++


    - SrCsTc's Bezel
    - Alpine W200/H701
    - ED Nine.2X
    - OZ Matrix Elites
    - ED Nine.1
    - Idmax 12's

  10. #10
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Richmond, British Columbia
    Posts
    27
    I was mainly looking at Alpine because I have an Alpine head unit, and my friend put an entire Alpine system in his 1992 Acura Integra, for the sake of having all the same components by the same manufacturer, for consistency.

    He gave me the impression that if you mix and match manufacturers, you won't get as great a sounding result as if you were to take speakers, subs and amps that were designed to work together.

    Although who knows how much difference it really makes.

    Quote Originally Posted by 3onDubs
    Most 6.5" speakers will be too deep to fit in that location without cutting a hole in the door metal. I have OZ audio matrix elites and their magnets would hit the door and not allow me to mount the door panel back on...i needed another 1.5" of clearance, so i cut holes in my doors.
    It says that the kickers that will fit are a 6 1/2" speaker, so are the alpine ones I'm looking, but the Alpine ones are only 1/4" deeper than the kickers. I haven't looked at the door yet, but would I be easy to do it on my own without any sort of professional installation?

    Or is there some sort of riser to bring the speaker out more so you don't have the modify the door frame? bring it like 1/4" closer to the drivers legs?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. FAQ: Front Ends & Support Software for Car PC's
    By Bugbyte in forum The FAQ Emporium
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-06-2007, 02:02 AM
  2. 03 BMW 330i Dinan S3 Project
    By fattytl in forum Show off your project
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 09-27-2005, 11:24 PM
  3. This is an awesome front end, and here is why:
    By WhiteRabbit in forum NeoCar Media Center
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 08-27-2005, 10:43 PM
  4. Mazda RX7 Series I
    By Saldorri in forum Worklogs
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-11-2005, 01:36 PM
  5. Linux Front Ends?
    By DJBigShow in forum Software & Software Development
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-04-2005, 01:20 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •