Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 64

Thread: Just bought a new amp, distribution block and wiring. Now I have questions.

  1. #11
    Calm
    Down
    Or
    Get
    A
    2
    Week
    Vacation
    -Love
    The
    Forum
    Policeman
    Wiredwrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    3,605
    Quote Originally Posted by Maheriano View Post
    I found the answer, idiot, I was looking for confirmation. I retract my statement that it's this forum, it's not. Even Darquepervert is criticizingly helpful, but the problem is you. You're talking to a software engineer with a computer science degree from the top university in the country, I'm not a moron. I do, however, have trouble understanding why I can touch the positive terminal of a battery while touching the ground, I'm an electrical idiot. I know nothing about wires so even the simplest of searches is not just a search for an answer, it's a 2 hour trek of trying to understand how the basics of electronics work and then trying to pull my answer from the mix.
    Looking at the fact that I didn't know what DC-DC meant, and now I have a working PC in my car, that's pretty good. I give 70% of the credit to this forum and the people on it. But I also do some tech support at my work and 95% of the stuff I'm asked about the hardware is right in the detailed user manual that came with it, but what do I do? I help them figure it out and tell them where to find subsequent information to stop them from asking me in the future. Statistically, if you have a lot of newbies asking the same beginner questions here, that means you have a high input to this forum, there must be huge numbers of people signing up every day. Hell, I just spent 20 minutes answering questions via PM to another guy on another forum to steer him away from inverters, and at the end I gave him a link to this site so he can take the knowledge I gave him (no jokes) and continue his searching here. But mp3car is the only place I've ever heard reference of on another forum and had people say to watch what you say because of the reply you'll get here. You should realize yourself that is rediculous and I'd say Ziplock is unappreciate of it since it's driving away business.
    It sounds like your pefect poster is supposed to read the FAQ for a few days, keep reading the forums for another few months, start putting together hardware, and consult Google when he runs into trouble. But whatever he does, he should leave you alone apparently. You need to realize people are going to keep asking the same question, that is going to happen and there's nothing you can do to stop it. It's a simple fact. So instead of ignoring it, or helping the mounds of people find the answer, you criticize.
    You are looking for confirmation. So, do you expect the people that you provide tech support to call you up to confirm everything that they read. So, when I click delete, does it actually delete the file. When I click open, do I really open a new file. Sorry for asking, I just need confirmation?? While DP is wonderfully scarcastic, I am not. I am blunt and to the point. I could care less what school you went to, or what degrees you have. This forum is a carputer forum, and that is what were are talking about, and in this area you are most definitely an idiot.

    Your "process" for a perfect poster is absolutely correct. As explained to you MANY times before, you don't just walk into a library and ask for the answer. READ THE DAMN BOOK. When you have to roll out a new program in your IT department, do you just contact the vendor for every question, or have you read the manual already, and most likely, referred to it once again before you actually contact the vendor?? I thought so, you do your research first. I also assure you that if the same person continued to call you, about the most basic of information like, " how do I turn on the computer, how do I use the keyboard, what is a mouse" you would also get annoyed, and might even tell him so, BUT, you get paid, and that is your job. It is no ones job here to help you. Your questions are just like that. And even more annoyinbgly with you, you refuse to listen to the answer, needing confirmation after confirmation. So, how often after you tell someone "do this, and do that" to fix their computer, do they come back at you with "I just need confirmation, do I really need to "do this and do that"? See what I am getting at. You are a pain in the ***.

    And while you might think ZIP is losing business, I can and will make the argument that I help him avoid dealing with stupid customers, who will end up calling him for tech support, and quite possibly breaking things and expecting warranty work.

    While you might think I can't stop people from coming and posting, the truth is, perhaps those people take mine, and many other peoples on this forum advice, and before they ask a dumb beginner question.

    You might think you are some inteligent person, and your questions must be sooo new and interesting, and unique but I got to tell you, THEY ARE NOT. They are stupid, and basic, and have been asked by dumb people on this forum over and over.

    Michael
    ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

  2. #12
    Fusion Brain Creator 2k1Toaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Colorado, but Canadian!
    Posts
    10,053
    Quote Originally Posted by Maheriano View Post
    You're talking to a software engineer with a computer science degree from the top university in the country, I'm not a moron.
    Degrees don't mean everything apparently... Where did you go? Anyways, computer science, is software. Everbody has their niche. I am a moron when it comes to speaking yiddish, yet I consider myself very intelligent. (Even though I have a dancing badger avatar...) What I am saying is that your degree in software, does not neccessarily put you any farther ahead then Bob your local burger king employee when it comes to carPC's installation. In the setup aspect, that degree sure does help out, and give you a leg up over Bob though.

    Quote Originally Posted by Maheriano View Post
    I do, however, have trouble understanding why I can touch the positive terminal of a battery while touching the ground, I'm an electrical idiot. I know nothing about wires so even the simplest of searches is not just a search for an answer, it's a 2 hour trek of trying to understand how the basics of electronics work and then trying to pull my answer from the mix.
    Well I find that sort of unbelievable, because you still post ?'s like this. I am the way you state. I may get a "yes that will work" or "it just does" answer, but I want to know why. I research and use all my bits of knowledge and conclude an answer. I don't want that kind of answer, so I only ask when I am stumped. I cannot find anything on Google, or on these forums, so I ask. My questions take hours to formulate because I answer a bit, and open up another question. You seem not to, but I guess that is how you really operate...

    Quote Originally Posted by Maheriano View Post
    Looking at the fact that I didn't know what DC-DC meant
    Really??? And you have a degree? Now I think you're lying...

    Quote Originally Posted by Maheriano View Post
    Hell, I just spent 20 minutes answering questions via PM to another guy on another forum to steer him away from inverters, and at the end I gave him a link to this site so he can take the knowledge I gave him (no jokes) and continue his searching here.
    What goes "clip, clop, clip, clop, clip, clop, BANG, BANG, clip, clop, clip, clop"???



    An Amish drive-by shooting!!!
    Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
    1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
    30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
    Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

  3. #13
    _
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Little Elm, Texas
    Posts
    13,500
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiredwrx View Post
    No idiot,
    careful. This is bordering on name calling...

    Yes, while I agree that the OP has proven to be a bit of a headache, he is putting forth more effort this time around it seems.
    Jan Bennett
    FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

    Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

  4. #14
    FLAC FC3S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Seoul, Korea
    Posts
    1,040
    gotta love people like this

    gotta agree a little with maheriano tho, newbs who ask questions get flamed bad (done it myself, but i try not to)

    but getting into the name calling, and "i've gone to this school so i know what im doing" doesnt help anyone does it? arguing on the internet is pointless, doesnt help anyone

    though maheriano, good to see you got the answer you needed, tho it doesnt seem like anyone actually tried to help you :/

    btw, so what if he asks stupid questions, the answers and replies you gave him, only justify that you think you need to be better than him, you could've just not answered at all :/

  5. #15
    Neither darque nor pervert DarquePervert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Posts
    13,949
    I'm "wonderfully sarcastic".
    Thanks Michael.

    Although, I gotta agree w/ Red. Let's please watch the name calling, everyone.

    It's one thing to be frustrated and angry. I get that way with clients all the time when they don't listen or follow advice. It's a lot easier to accept that from a client who's paying $90/hr to ignore you, however.
    However, when you're giving of your time, knowledge, experience and skills to help someone out and you get blown off, it's a whole other matter.

    Either way, it's not right, and not acceptable on these forums. Consider this a blanket warning for all parties involved.

    Quote Originally Posted by FC3S
    btw, so what if he asks stupid questions, the answers and replies you gave him, only justify that you think you need to be better than him, you could've just not answered at all :/
    Then the newbie whines that nobody wants to help him.
    That route has been tried, as well.

    The fact is, that there are too many n00bs that want the coolness of having a PC in their ride, but they don't want to learn anything about it and don't want to do any work to accomplish that goal. There's one solution to that that I can see:
    Start charging to do installs for n00bs.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?



    Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

  6. #16
    FLAC FC3S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Seoul, Korea
    Posts
    1,040
    Quote Originally Posted by DarquePervert View Post
    Then the newbie whines that nobody wants to help him.
    That route has been tried, as well.
    suppose your right, lol



    Quote Originally Posted by DarquePervert
    The fact is, that there are too many n00bs that want the coolness of having a PC in their ride, but they don't want to learn anything about it and don't want to do any work to accomplish that goal. There's one solution to that that I can see:
    Start charging to do installs for n00bs.
    but then you have the noobs coming back to you when they break it,

  7. #17
    FLAC
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    1,718
    I just took a second look at my calculations on the first page, and realized I may have calculated the maximum allowable amps on the wire, not the amps the amplifier is putting out. Is that right? 19 amps max? This would mean WiredWRX's rant of having me add the amps together is wrong. But that highly contradicts the page I was told to reference that says the amps for a 15 foot piece of 8 gauge is allowed 50 amps. What did I do wrong?
    Ampie Case
    2.5" Hard Drive 80GB Samsung 5400RPM
    256 MB DDR2 PC5400
    Xenarc 700TSV - VGA Monitor
    Intel D945GCLF Motherboard
    M2-ATX-HV

    2005 Honda Civic

  8. #18
    Calm
    Down
    Or
    Get
    A
    2
    Week
    Vacation
    -Love
    The
    Forum
    Policeman
    Wiredwrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    3,605
    Quote Originally Posted by Maheriano View Post
    I just took a second look at my calculations on the first page, and realized I may have calculated the maximum allowable amps on the wire, not the amps the amplifier is putting out. Is that right? 19 amps max? This would mean WiredWRX's rant of having me add the amps together is wrong. But that highly contradicts the page I was told to reference that says the amps for a 15 foot piece of 8 gauge is allowed 50 amps. What did I do wrong?
    Here we go again.

    Learn what amps, watts, and voltage means. That would be the first step.

    Are you trying to run the amps from a single wire. If you are, then you add the amps together. If you are powering them from different wires, then you run the calculations for each wire based on your amps. What is so damn hard to understand.

    Why are you trying to figure out how many amps the amp is putting out. Amps output in watts, not amps. Your wire has to able to supply enough current (amps are a measure of current) for the amps you are powering. If it does not, the amp WILL NOT output the rated watts, and quite possible, burn the wire and you will have a smoldering heap of car. Are you finaly understanding this??

    So, to just explain it to you ONCE AGAIN,

    Your wire has to be able to supply enough current to your amps. If they can not, then you will have a fire, and/or your amps will not output the rated wattage. THIS IS A BALANCING TEST between the gauge of wire, the length of the wire, the voltage present, the efficiency of the amplifier, it's amperage needs and wattage output.

    What is soooo confusing. How come you just can't understand this stuff?

    Michael
    ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

  9. #19
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    61
    Ok, Maheriano your being way too technical, your not running a high amprage system so just stay basic and use your fuses!

    match wattage

    if its less then 600watts total in the system just use 8 gauge wire 600-1200 use 4gauge!

    as far as omh load http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/wo...igurations.asp
    just fill in your info

  10. #20
    FLAC
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    1,718
    Here's what confuses me.

    1. My Rockford amp is rated at 325 watts for 2 ohms and the MTX is 120 watts, so that puts it under 600 watts which is fine. But every Rockford comes with a birth sheet of actual recorded total RMS wattage and the sheet for this amp says 397 watts which would put it over 600 watts. Which do I go by?
    2. The guy I bought the MTX amp from said it was 120 watts, but this says it's 45W x 4 @ 4 ohms meaning it's 180 watts total RMS.
    http://www.cardomain.com/item/MTX4244
    3. The max amps for 8 gauge is 52, so when I split that in half for the 2 inputs, I get a 25 amp fuse for each wire to go into the distribution block. When I was just out to a few places asking them for 25 amp fuses for this, they looked at me funny asking if I was running a real small amp. He wanted to give me a larger fuse, and another guy wanted to give me 180 amp fuses.
    4. On my journey for fuses, I was looking for a 5A 25 amp fuse, and it seemed easy because they all had 5A or 3A or 2.5A or something like that on them. And the packaging for the distribution block says it takes 2 5A fuses. But when I looked at them all on the rack, it seemed like the number before the A was in reference to amps, and why would anyone put a 5 amp fuse in a piece of hardware that'll be running amps?
    5. Ignoring the packaging, I decided to get a 50A fuse which would be 50 amps to go near the battery on the single line. But the highest they had was 35A, and I already have a 30A in there. Why wouldn't an automotive place carry anything larger than 35 amps? It was Canadian Tire.
    6. The 2 pages I was shown in other threads have conflicting information. One says the best fuse to go with in 8 gauge is a 30 amp fuse. But another says the max amps you can run in 8 gauge wire is 52 amps. So why isn't the best fuse a 50 amp fuse?

    This shows I'm believing what you say and putting those pieces together. However, when I go to buy it, these people tell me something different. So what I'm going to put together just for now to see if I get sound from everything is 8 gauge wire from each amp to the block, 2 20 amp fuses in the block, 8 gauge wire from the block to the battery, and a 30 amp fuse near the battery. I'm pretty sure it's going to blow the fuses when I turn it up, but at least it won't catch fire. Then I'll have to keep looking for bigger fuses.
    Ampie Case
    2.5" Hard Drive 80GB Samsung 5400RPM
    256 MB DDR2 PC5400
    Xenarc 700TSV - VGA Monitor
    Intel D945GCLF Motherboard
    M2-ATX-HV

    2005 Honda Civic

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. WTTF: Distribution block and wiring
    By CavityCr33p in forum Classified Archive
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-06-2005, 09:37 PM
  2. Wiring and terminal block recommendations?
    By omehegan in forum Car Audio
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-21-2005, 08:25 PM
  3. misc wiring questions
    By nsmoller in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-09-2005, 12:52 AM
  4. Distribution Block Questions
    By beckkl in forum Power Supplies
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-20-2004, 11:29 AM
  5. Recommendations for amp wiring kits...
    By hd54321 in forum Car Audio
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-17-2004, 06:02 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •