Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 61

Thread: What kind of cap/amp?

  1. #31
    FLAC
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Posts
    1,109

    mad power y0

  2. #32
    MySQL Error scott_fx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles Ca
    Posts
    3,998
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaloRESE15" View Post
    ghey IMO
    are there a lot of homosexual's with caps mounted like that?
    New System in progress:
    M10k
    Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
    Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
    Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
    Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
    Transflective Xenarc

    My Car Pc Install
    My Boat Pc worklog

  3. #33
    Maximum Bitrate Megalomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The Colony, TX
    Posts
    549
    Quote Originally Posted by scott_fx View Post
    are there a lot of homosexual's with caps mounted like that?
    raging homosexuals actually

  4. #34
    Maximum Bitrate GoHybrid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    867
    i'm curious how many more times this debate is going to surface and when the "if you're not with us, you're against us" mentality is going to end... if ever. Some people see a benefit from caps, and it's not necessarily the same as others. Sometimes caps just don't work for people. It gets pretty old arguing the same thing over and over when nobody really "learns" anything let alone concedes any obvious points to the other. Why can't we say, "get a cap if you want. if it works for you, great. if not then don't bother with em" and leave it at that?
    Et ipsa scientia potestas est.

    Worklog for my 2007 Civic Si ...f*** it...
    Pictures of the Corolla (retired)here
    Need to make something? Here are a few ideas.

  5. #35
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    18
    becuase people read wrong info and are lead to beleive they need a cap and there system will be louder.

  6. #36
    Maximum Bitrate GoHybrid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    867
    that's just my point though... nobody understands the actual benefits of a capacitor... and the costs... and before you say "there are no benefits" remember that this is the point I'm making. Nobody will pay any attention to the real purpose of a capacitor in a power supply. So either people say "yay, caps are great" for all the wrong reasons, or others say "caps suck, they have no purpose and everyone is just lying to you". Not suprisingly, neither of those types of people ever really bother to support their claims with evidence... and those who do provide evidence believe they are providing gospel, and can't crack their minds open just far enough to see the other side of the coin. It just gets old.
    Et ipsa scientia potestas est.

    Worklog for my 2007 Civic Si ...f*** it...
    Pictures of the Corolla (retired)here
    Need to make something? Here are a few ideas.

  7. #37
    Raw Wave treetop777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    War-Town, GA.
    Posts
    2,233
    Quote Originally Posted by GoHybrid View Post
    that's just my point though... nobody understands the actual benefits of a capacitor... and the costs... and before you say "there are no benefits" remember that this is the point I'm making. Nobody will pay any attention to the real purpose of a capacitor in a power supply. So either people say "yay, caps are great" for all the wrong reasons, or others say "caps suck, they have no purpose and everyone is just lying to you". Not suprisingly, neither of those types of people ever really bother to support their claims with evidence... and those who do provide evidence believe they are providing gospel, and can't crack their minds open just far enough to see the other side of the coin. It just gets old.

    I'm learning a lot just by following this thread. I would imagine at some point people get set in their ways..for example: way back when i was really into car stereo, the rule was..if your lights flicker when the stereo hit a bass note..get a cap! This was coming from reading reputable magazines like "car stereo review" and others. I don't remember EVER anything mentioned about the "Big-3" ..never, until now. So based on that, i never bothered to look any further..that was the rule!

    Before reading this thread, if my son had complained to me that the stereo he just installed in his car made his lights dim, i would have told him son, get a cap! Today i would tell him son, get a cap! AFTER you upgrade the big 3 cables.

    It's only recently, through forums like this one, we are able to revisit and learn new/better rules of doing things.

    I've learned a lot, thank you.

    I'm still going to get one (or 10+) but for a different reason, not because i thing i need it (now i know better), but because i feel like it! So there!

  8. #38
    Maximum Bitrate Megalomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The Colony, TX
    Posts
    549
    Quote Originally Posted by GoHybrid View Post
    that's just my point though... nobody understands the actual benefits of a capacitor... and the costs... and before you say "there are no benefits" remember that this is the point I'm making. Nobody will pay any attention to the real purpose of a capacitor in a power supply. So either people say "yay, caps are great" for all the wrong reasons, or others say "caps suck, they have no purpose and everyone is just lying to you". Not suprisingly, neither of those types of people ever really bother to support their claims with evidence... and those who do provide evidence believe they are providing gospel, and can't crack their minds open just far enough to see the other side of the coin. It just gets old.
    in the car audio portion caps(between the power wires) are not necessary, i realize there are caps inside of an amp, but i was stating that an "external" cap is not necessary. What they need a is more power. A cap might help curve the graph results better but nothing noticably to say "MORE BASS NOW". A cap is at the bottom of the list for me.

  9. #39
    Maximum Bitrate GoHybrid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    867
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaloRESE15" View Post
    in the car audio portion caps(between the power wires) are not necessary, i realize there are caps inside of an amp, but i was stating that an "external" cap is not necessary. What they need a is more power. A cap might help curve the graph results better but nothing noticably to say "MORE BASS NOW". A cap is at the bottom of the list for me.
    see, even that response would tell someone more about the nature of a capacitor than people flatly saying "BAND-AID!" or "capacitors are worthless. period". I just wish more people would put some thought into a response like that rather than shaft someone who is just trying to learn something by giving them the knee-jerk answers they tend to get about the subject.

    On the topic itself... it's hard to say whether a capacitor would benefit someone's system without seeing the whole picture. A cap between the power lines is not solely to juice the amp. I've said it before, but think about ALL those electrical components that have a very high and very SHORT surge at turn-on. Headlights, foglights, brake lights, defrosters, turn signals, cooling fans, starter motor... caps act as a cushion for those things too.

    The best shocks in the world won't save you if your car falls off a cliff, but if you and stay on the road you were meant to be on, those shocks will serve you fine.
    Et ipsa scientia potestas est.

    Worklog for my 2007 Civic Si ...f*** it...
    Pictures of the Corolla (retired)here
    Need to make something? Here are a few ideas.

  10. #40
    FLAC
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Posts
    1,109
    There have been many, many exhaustive discussions on this board where I've posted empirical evidence to back my claims. Seekand ye shall find.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. What kind of connector do I need?
    By TokyoJoe in forum Hardware Development
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-15-2006, 05:57 PM
  2. What kind of computer to pick
    By pulz in forum Newbie
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-02-2006, 05:08 PM
  3. Redesigning Setup - going kind of weird
    By KyleYankan in forum General MP3Car Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-06-2005, 08:18 PM
  4. What kind of power supply does car audio equipment use?
    By Skraggy_uk in forum Power Supplies
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-11-2003, 11:40 AM
  5. What kind of GLUE???
    By Dimitris1976 in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-08-2001, 09:58 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •