Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: 2-channel / 4-channel Amp??

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    19

    Angry 2-channel / 4-channel Amp??

    Alrite, I am finally taking the risk of some serious noob bashing, but I have been going nuts trying to understand how an Amplifier works. Screw those other forums, they are crap...please dont redirect me there!

    So, I have an 05 Altima (2.5S) which has a HU with no AUX. The car has 6 speakers (Factory installed) which are pretty good IMO. I dont wanna replace them.

    Now from what I understand, I need a 4 channel amp for 2 reasons
    1. to connect 4 speakers
    2. to hook up my laptop to the amps

    Here are my questions
    1. One tech at best buy told me that to hook up 4 speakers and a sub, i would need one 4 channel amp, and a second mono or dual channel amp to power the sub...is this true?
    2. Can I use the factory installed speakers with an amp, or do i have to replace them?
    3. If that dude at Best Buy is right, how do u hook up 2 speakers and a sub to a 2 channel amp!?
    4. What limitation does the sound card of my laptop impose on the whole amplifier ordeal?? My IBM T30 has only 1 speaker jack, 1 line in and 1 mic jack.

    Thanks for your help!

  2. #2
    FLAC XC-C30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Abele, Belgium
    Posts
    1,260
    1.yes
    2. probably, depending on wattage and resistance
    3. you can't
    4. crappy sound
    Xenia & Isabelle, totally in love!

    'T SQiekenkot: VOLVO 740GL 2.3

    CarPC: none at the moment
    CLARION HX-D2
    CLARION APA4300HX => Fountek NeoCd1.0 + TB W4-1337SD
    CLARION APA4300HX => CSS Trio8
    CLARION APA2100 => Dayton IB385-8

  3. #3
    Raw Wave Defiler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Temple Terrace, Fl.
    Posts
    2,647
    Quote Originally Posted by hellbent1 View Post
    Here are my questions
    1. One tech at best buy told me that to hook up 4 speakers and a sub, i would need one 4 channel amp, and a second mono or dual channel amp to power the sub...is this true?
    2. Can I use the factory installed speakers with an amp, or do i have to replace them?
    3. If that dude at Best Buy is right, how do u hook up 2 speakers and a sub to a 2 channel amp!?
    4. What limitation does the sound card of my laptop impose on the whole amplifier ordeal?? My IBM T30 has only 1 speaker jack, 1 line in and 1 mic jack.

    Thanks for your help!
    1. Yes and no. Yes you can hook it up that way OR use a five channel amp that has 4 channels for mids and highs and a sub channel.
    2. You can use the stock speakers but it would be a good idea to check the Ohm rating. Most likely they will be 4 or 2Ohm. This will help choose the size amp you need. If you don't care about blowing your ears out you might also look at an after-market head unit with a good built in amp and AUX input. THis would avoid running power wires, finding a place for the amp, etc. and possibly cut down on price. I would still recommend after-market speakers for better sound though.
    3. I think you misunderstood what he said. The 2 channel amp would be use bridged mono to a single channel for the sub.
    4. A big limitation. Look into either a good quality USB or PCMCIA sound card.

    Hope this helps.
    Aura MR62 (F and R)
    My Current MP3s
    IamDefiler.com

  4. #4
    FLAC J187's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,237
    Quote Originally Posted by Defiler View Post
    3. I think you misunderstood what he said. The 2 channel amp would be use bridged mono to a single channel for the sub.
    Look again, he clearly asked how he could hookup 2 speakers and a sub, all to one 2 channel amp. As IC said, you cannot.

    If you are happy w/ your stock speakers, why dont' you look into an aux adapter from PAC or the other companies?
    Its not the cards you're dealt, its how you play the hand!

    Quote Originally Posted by ryuandwings View Post
    Where can I get a roll of tin foil?
    I been looking for that all over the net, but I can't find it.
    Please help.

  5. #5
    Raw Wave Defiler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Temple Terrace, Fl.
    Posts
    2,647
    Quote Originally Posted by J187 View Post
    Look again, he clearly asked how he could hookup 2 speakers and a sub, all to one 2 channel amp. As IC said, you cannot.
    Errr...You look again. He is referring to the statement in question one which states, "One tech at best buy told me that to hook up 4 speakers and a sub, i would need one 4 channel amp, and a second mono or dual channel amp to power the sub."

    I think he misunderstood. Anyway I agree with the adapter for an AUX input for the stock HU.
    Aura MR62 (F and R)
    My Current MP3s
    IamDefiler.com

  6. #6
    FLAC XC-C30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Abele, Belgium
    Posts
    1,260
    Nah, I think J187 is right on this one. At least, that's the way I interpreted it also....
    Xenia & Isabelle, totally in love!

    'T SQiekenkot: VOLVO 740GL 2.3

    CarPC: none at the moment
    CLARION HX-D2
    CLARION APA4300HX => Fountek NeoCd1.0 + TB W4-1337SD
    CLARION APA4300HX => CSS Trio8
    CLARION APA2100 => Dayton IB385-8

  7. #7
    FLAC J187's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,237
    Quote Originally Posted by Defiler View Post
    1. Yes and no. Yes you can hook it up that way OR use a five channel amp that has 4 channels for mids and highs and a sub channel.
    2. You can use the stock speakers but it would be a good idea to check the Ohm rating. Most likely they will be 4 or 2Ohm. This will help choose the size amp you need. If you don't care about blowing your ears out you might also look at an after-market head unit with a good built in amp and AUX input. THis would avoid running power wires, finding a place for the amp, etc. and possibly cut down on price. I would still recommend after-market speakers for better sound though.
    3. I think you misunderstood what he said. The 2 channel amp would be use bridged mono to a single channel for the sub.
    4. A big limitation. Look into either a good quality USB or PCMCIA sound card.

    Hope this helps.


    Quote Originally Posted by hellbent1 View Post
    Alrite, I am finally taking the risk of some serious noob bashing, but I have been going nuts trying to understand how an Amplifier works. Screw those other forums, they are crap...please dont redirect me there!

    So, I have an 05 Altima (2.5S) which has a HU with no AUX. The car has 6 speakers (Factory installed) which are pretty good IMO. I dont wanna replace them.

    Now from what I understand, I need a 4 channel amp for 2 reasons
    1. to connect 4 speakers
    2. to hook up my laptop to the amps

    Here are my questions
    1. One tech at best buy told me that to hook up 4 speakers and a sub, i would need one 4 channel amp, and a second mono or dual channel amp to power the sub...is this true?
    2. Can I use the factory installed speakers with an amp, or do i have to replace them?
    3. If that dude at Best Buy is right, how do u hook up 2 speakers and a sub to a 2 channel amp!?
    4. What limitation does the sound card of my laptop impose on the whole amplifier ordeal?? My IBM T30 has only 1 speaker jack, 1 line in and 1 mic jack.

    Thanks for your help!

    It seems like the question in number 3 is simply that - considering what the guy at BB said, How can I then hookup the 2 speakers and sub to a channel.

    I thougth at first you werer refering to ICs number 3, the answer he gave. I think IC interpuretd the question correctly. the answer is simply, no you cannot. But I don't think the OP misunderstood the BB guy, I think he knew the BB guy was saying that those are the amps he needs. I think he's just totally confused!!!
    Its not the cards you're dealt, its how you play the hand!

    Quote Originally Posted by ryuandwings View Post
    Where can I get a roll of tin foil?
    I been looking for that all over the net, but I can't find it.
    Please help.

  8. #8
    Constant Bitrate symon_say's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Dominican Republic
    Posts
    117
    You can conect the 2 speakers to 1 channel and the sub to the other, and see how long they work before they get damage.

    Get a 4ch amp, use 2 ch for speakers and bridge the other 2 for the sub.
    Design [000000000-]90%
    Parts [000-------]30%
    Installation[----------]0%
    Integration[000-------]30%

  9. #9
    FLAC XC-C30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Abele, Belgium
    Posts
    1,260
    They won't get damage. The only thing that will happen is you'll only get a mono sound, not stereo.

    edit: if the amp has separated x-overs.
    Xenia & Isabelle, totally in love!

    'T SQiekenkot: VOLVO 740GL 2.3

    CarPC: none at the moment
    CLARION HX-D2
    CLARION APA4300HX => Fountek NeoCd1.0 + TB W4-1337SD
    CLARION APA4300HX => CSS Trio8
    CLARION APA2100 => Dayton IB385-8

  10. #10
    FLAC J187's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,237
    Depends on the amp. The amp would have to be 2ohm stable, if the speakers are 4 ohm.

    @Symon - he is asking about wiring 4 speakers and a sub, a 4 channel amp will not serve this.

    Not going to find a lot of 2 channel amps with independant crossovers either
    Its not the cards you're dealt, its how you play the hand!

    Quote Originally Posted by ryuandwings View Post
    Where can I get a roll of tin foil?
    I been looking for that all over the net, but I can't find it.
    Please help.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Surround from a 4 channel amp? Possible?
    By we87 in forum Car Audio
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-05-2006, 02:23 AM
  2. Front or Rear out to 2 channel amp???
    By FrogDawg in forum Car Audio
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-30-2005, 02:49 PM
  3. WTB: Decent 4 channel amp
    By tiggs in forum Classified Archive
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-19-2005, 01:43 PM
  4. Audigy surround 5.1out to 6 channel Amp !! GOOD
    By lookinco in forum Car Audio
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-25-2004, 02:28 AM
  5. 6 channel amp?
    By auto_robotics in forum Car Audio
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-24-2004, 01:33 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •