Just listened to podcast number 2....don't take this the wrong way guys but can you do a little research before you discuss some of these topics.
A few corrections...because I have a feeling this is going to confuse some listeners:
- No Cars are steer-by-wire, safety legislation in quite a few countries prevents anything other then electric assist.
- 384MB of RAM? thats really your advice?
- Memory latency has nothing to do with memory size
- CPU Speed has nothing to do with hibernation resume times, its system bus speed
- 2x as much ram does not mean 2x slower resume (google: memory pages)
- OM never claimed CF didn't use any hardware rendering...it uses a combination of directX and software rendering (or all software rendering if effects are disabled) which obviously uses more CPU then 100% hardware rendering
- Pulseaudio sounds better? you sure its not just that warm fuzzy feeling you get from running linux? 24bit audio is 24bit audio... the only difference is the decoders. Except everyone uses the same open source decoder for flac so it can't be that either.
- For the thousandth time-trip was running OM without video drivers on the iGep-of course its going to be slow.... C# may be slower with serious number crunching but last I checked we're not doing physics simulations in the car. Not to mention almost all our graphics code is unmanaged.
- Qt cross-platform development != all cross platform development
- 30 active front ends? try 6
- Mike-you haven't seen anyone separate the GUI from the backend?? I seem to recall a front end that runs each plugin in a separate thread and runs nothing but the GUI in the gui thread. Come on dude we've discussed this!
- You can't close source GPLv3 code...no matter what. Did the biggest open source supporters on the forums really suggest that?
- Hmm front end with cross-platform media playback engine written from scratch-nope CF uses Bass and WMP...OM is the only one that does. No we don't use mplayer or any other external app-that would be slow and unstable.
On the other hand:
- Tidder props for memorizing the model names lol
- Tidder - Thank you for setting the record straight on quite a few issues
- Microsoft Bob-lmao
- regurgitate was a much better word choice then reiterate