Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: VW's App My Ride contest winners announced

  1. #1
    Moderator - CarPC News Penzance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    159

    VW's App My Ride contest winners announced

    A list of them is here. You can click on "Contest" in the menu bar to go to the home page of the contest.

  2. #2
    Raw Wave
    Auto Apps:loading...
    justchat_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Boston, Ma or NY,NY
    Posts
    1,783
    Maybe its just me but those apps seem pretty awful.... I guess thats why the announced prizes were scaled back.

  3. #3
    Moderator - CarPC News Penzance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    159
    I agree. I wasn't overwhelmed by them either. You see cooler software around here everyday.

    Do you think it was partially the environment they were programming to?

  4. #4
    Confusion Master
    Auto Apps:loading...
    Enforcer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    If you go down to the woods today, You're sure of
    Posts
    14,612
    Have to agree, Simon get's second prize?




    Actually that brings up a point, we don't have a Simon plugin for RR or CF yet. Hmmmm.

  5. #5
    Raw Wave
    Auto Apps:loading...
    justchat_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Boston, Ma or NY,NY
    Posts
    1,783
    Quote Originally Posted by Penzance View Post
    I agree. I wasn't overwhelmed by them either. You see cooler software around here everyday.

    Do you think it was partially the environment they were programming to?
    Thats a good question...I think the environment they picked is going to severely limit what software could be created but I think a good part of this was also lack of interest.

    It wasn't widely publicized and given VWs many other attempts at in car infotainment systems theres not a lot of confidence this will ever amount to anything.

  6. #6
    Neither darque nor pervert DarquePervert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Posts
    13,950
    Quote Originally Posted by Enforcer View Post
    Have to agree, Simon get's second prize?




    Actually that brings up a point, we don't have a Simon plugin for RR or CF yet. Hmmmm.
    Actually, the idea of playing Simon while driving seems like a bad idea.
    Never mind that Simon isn't so engaging that it will keep anyone interested while parked for longer than a red light.

    Furthermore, the way the description is written, it sounds like they suggest using the vehicle's control buttons for the game of Simon. So in addition to playing a simple memory game, you're turning on/off the wipers, headlamps, cruise control, hazard lights, stereo, and so on.
    Either that or you're going to disable those controls for the purpose of playing a memory game.

    Neither option sounds particularly smart....

    2,000 Euros for that?

    Weak, V-Dub.
    Very, very weak.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?



    Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

  7. #7
    Confusion Master
    Auto Apps:loading...
    Enforcer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    If you go down to the woods today, You're sure of
    Posts
    14,612
    Quote Originally Posted by DarquePervert View Post
    Actually, the idea of playing Simon while driving seems like a bad idea.
    Never mind that Simon isn't so engaging that it will keep anyone interested while parked for longer than a red light.

    Furthermore, the way the description is written, it sounds like they suggest using the vehicle's control buttons for the game of Simon. So in addition to playing a simple memory game, you're turning on/off the wipers, headlamps, cruise control, hazard lights, stereo, and so on.
    Either that or you're going to disable those controls for the purpose of playing a memory game.

    Neither option sounds particularly smart....

    2,000 Euros for that?

    Weak, V-Dub.
    Very, very weak.

    Can you imagine pulling up next to someone at the lights and they're playing the game. Wipers on, Hazards flash, Roof opens (convertible would be more entertaining, but could be just sunroof), windows go down.

  8. #8
    Mod - all of it. SapporoGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    SonyLand
    Posts
    448
    Porsche did buy out VW, if I'm not mistaken. So I guess I could deal with a VW for the weekend.

    This did catch my attention ... took a bit to find since eye sight was being distorted by the object on the left ...

    They could enter their direction in their smartphones and can get localized by that.
    hmmm, I'll take the VW for the weekend

    Sorry for the OT type of post

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-02-2010, 04:44 PM
  2. Alpine City Cruise
    By Hell-Stopper in forum RR Skins
    Replies: 170
    Last Post: 02-22-2007, 10:05 PM
  3. Winners of "THE LAST PHOTO I EVER TOOK" contest
    By Rafster in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 10-27-2005, 04:23 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •