Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Fluxmedia prohibits selling my CF license!

  1. #1
    Newbie DeltaBi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    NW Italian Alps
    Posts
    45

    Fluxmedia prohibits selling my CF license!

    I just want to let you know that Fluxmedia's Support Dept. has denied me the rights to sell (at loss) my CF license.

    I've abandoned the CarPC project and after having bought the CF license a few months ago I asked them what was the correct procedure to reassign the ownership of the license to a new owner. They simply answered I cannot do it! I'll have to stick with a useless piece of software in my bookshelf.

    I've stressed the fact that I believe this is not the right way to let an entire market and community develop, but I did not get any more answer. They sustain they simply cannot manage it: I think a simple pass-over signed fax module would be enough and I don't think they have so many requests to not being able to manage them.

    I think that this is not against their EULA: I'm not selling it for profit, I'm just trying to recover part of the (big) money I've spent on it.

    Do you believe this behaviour is correct?

    Thanks for your comments.

  2. #2
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    44
    Your rights to resell the software have been affirmed in a recent case against Autodesk, makers of 3d-studio.

    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...-software.html

    -Josh

  3. #3
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    325
    Flux is a relatively small company here and we should do what we can to support them. As much as we'd love to think that the CarPC community is huge, it really isn't all that big and as a result limits the number of potential paying customers. I would say that if you read into your EULA closely on almost any other software you have purchased you will see it says just about the same. In many cases, you don't even actually own the software but own rights to use the software.

    I think that their decision to say they cannot support moving the software is a fair technical support concern. If they get tons of users wanting to do transfers from user to user then it will consume so much of their time that they won't be able to continue producing a good product. I think it's simply a resources issue here an not related to anything else. If you read in their forums you can see that they are doing a lot of work to support their users and also provide very good support when needed.

    I think that as the size of Flux increases that they may be able to support license transfer, but with current staffing I'd expect that it would be really tough to do.
    Nick - 08 GG Element
    Custom 3D-CAD Design, Reverse Engineering and Fabrication

  4. #4
    Newbie DeltaBi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    NW Italian Alps
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshiwashy View Post
    Your rights to resell the software have been affirmed in a recent case against Autodesk, makers of 3d-studio.

    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...-software.html

    -Josh
    Thanks, Josh.
    This is interesting. It's interesting also the fact that I argued with Fluxmedia that I don't want to sell their software but the license to use it: and that's exactly what I've paid for, so I think I am in a position to do it. If they don't let me sell something I've bought then they should have not used the word "buy" but instead "loan" or "lease" Centrafuse.

  5. #5
    Newbie DeltaBi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    NW Italian Alps
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by ik632 View Post
    Flux is a relatively small company here and we should do what we can to support them. As much as we'd love to think that the CarPC community is huge, it really isn't all that big and as a result limits the number of potential paying customers. I would say that if you read into your EULA closely on almost any other software you have purchased you will see it says just about the same. In many cases, you don't even actually own the software but own rights to use the software.

    I think that their decision to say they cannot support moving the software is a fair technical support concern. If they get tons of users wanting to do transfers from user to user then it will consume so much of their time that they won't be able to continue producing a good product. I think it's simply a resources issue here an not related to anything else. If you read in their forums you can see that they are doing a lot of work to support their users and also provide very good support when needed.

    I think that as the size of Flux increases that they may be able to support license transfer, but with current staffing I'd expect that it would be really tough to do.
    I agree they are small. But as you say the market is not so big and I don't think they would have hundreds of license transfer requests... And if they do, well, then probably there must be something wrong with the software or the market itself!

    And I don't think anyway this should be a reason for not allowing something like that: because they decided to sell something they should be prepared to handle all kind of issues this means: selling, supporting, developing, distributing, ecc..

    Even Microsoft does allow the transfer of the license to a third party, it's just a matter of organize a simple procedure.

  6. #6
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaBi View Post
    And I don't think anyway this should be a reason for not allowing something like that: because they decided to sell something they should be prepared to handle all kind of issues this means: selling, supporting, developing, distributing, ecc..

    Even Microsoft does allow the transfer of the license to a third party, it's just a matter of organize a simple procedure.
    I can agree with that. I was just trying to point out a positive reason why the transfer would be difficult for them to deal with. I still think that as they grow they would probably put systems in place to handle issues like this.

    I know that if the time came and I wanted to sell my seat I'd probably be unhappy with not being able to transfer the ownership. But, I can understand why so I'd just deal with it.
    Nick - 08 GG Element
    Custom 3D-CAD Design, Reverse Engineering and Fabrication

  7. #7
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    169
    There is no good reason for him not to be able to resell his license as stated, The First Sale Doctrine would apply in any dispute. If he were to take the legal route. But in my opinion its not good business to treat customers like this I use roadrunner and I wanted to move to one of the paid frontends and I was leaning towards Centrafuse but when stuff like this happen I think I will wait for Streetdeck 2 to come out i'm not sure but I believe streetdeck allows you to transfer your license once so why cant Centrafuse do it. pretty silly for a program that costs the users $275 to get and if you dont want to use it any further you cant try and recoupe some of your hard earned $$$$$ stupid if you ask me Centrafuse staff better rethink this policy quick.

  8. #8
    VENDOR - Centrafuse veetid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    5,040
    it is just a matter of resources right now...

    we told you that we would clear your activations and you could allow someone else to activate and use your software, but we cannot officially transfer it because we do not have the system or resources in place...

    all of your examples like Microsoft are mute points, can you call Microsoft and email Microsoft directly for FREE support?? Try to sell your XP/Vista to a friend and see if when he calls Microsoft if they will help him with all his problems without first getting his credit card on the phone...

    the only point here was anyone other than the person who purchased the software, CURRENTLY, getting support directly from Flux.... We told you someone could easily get support from our forums...

    I think this is fair and we will we work to add the ability to transfer as we grow...

    we are providing updates, phone support (free phone support is a HUGE thing us us to still offer), forum support talking directly to the developers, and email support...

    constantly taking feedback from customers and improving the product, and fixing customer issues...

    I hope you understand...

    david
    __________________
    CENTRAFUSE http://www.centrafuse.com
    01 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4 Installed
    M10000/512Mb/20GB, Lilliput 7", Holux GM-210

  9. #9
    Newbie DeltaBi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    NW Italian Alps
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by veetid View Post
    it is just a matter of resources right now...

    we told you that we would clear your activations and you could allow someone else to activate and use your software, but we cannot officially transfer it because we do not have the system or resources in place...

    all of your examples like Microsoft are mute points, can you call Microsoft and email Microsoft directly for FREE support?? Try to sell your XP/Vista to a friend and see if when he calls Microsoft if they will help him with all his problems without first getting his credit card on the phone...

    the only point here was anyone other than the person who purchased the software, CURRENTLY, getting support directly from Flux.... We told you someone could easily get support from our forums...

    I think this is fair and we will we work to add the ability to transfer as we grow...

    we are providing updates, phone support (free phone support is a HUGE thing us us to still offer), forum support talking directly to the developers, and email support...

    constantly taking feedback from customers and improving the product, and fixing customer issues...

    I hope you understand...

    david
    Thanks, David, for your comment.

    I understand all your reason, but never less I think I have the right to transfer the license to a third party.

    The answers I got from Fluxmedia were not so flexible like you are saying: they simply told me that it can't be done. (And Microsoft asks for money to support even the original owner, by the way!).

    Now what you are saying seems acceptable: if I understand correctly I can sell (at loss) my unused CF license and allow the new owner to use the license number, loosing all my rights on it.

  10. #10
    VENDOR - Centrafuse veetid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    5,040
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaBi View Post
    Thanks, David, for your comment.

    I understand all your reason, but never less I think I have the right to transfer the license to a third party.

    The answers I got from Fluxmedia were not so flexible like you are saying: they simply told me that it can't be done. (And Microsoft asks for money to support even the original owner, by the way!).

    Now what you are saying seems acceptable: if I understand correctly I can sell (at loss) my unused CF license and allow the new owner to use the license number, loosing all my rights on it.
    basically email support and we will clear your activations... then it can be used on another PC... we have no official policy other than what was stated to you in email, this is not because we are against it but because we cannot handle this right now... a system with security, multiple emails, verification of old customer and new customer would all have to be built, we don't have that right now and if not built properly could create a way for abuse, false positives, people losing licenses, extra steps in training support reps...

    all we are saying is that if we get an email from a customer or a phone call one day with someone wanting support, and we do not have a direct invoice for that customer because they never purchased anything directly from us, we will not be able to provide any form of direct support to that customer what so ever...

    we will look to add support for this in the future, we are growing and exanding our system and what we can handle every day...

    david

    our forums however are free to register on, so some level of support could be received there...

    david
    __________________
    CENTRAFUSE http://www.centrafuse.com
    01 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4 Installed
    M10000/512Mb/20GB, Lilliput 7", Holux GM-210

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. CF and Israel Destinator maps
    By haiminger in forum Centrafuse
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-14-2007, 05:27 PM
  2. Stuck with expired CF
    By Gearhead61 in forum Centrafuse
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-28-2006, 03:38 AM
  3. PhoCo license with CF
    By Gearhead61 in forum Centrafuse
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-06-2006, 02:35 PM
  4. New CF 1.5 License
    By veetid in forum Centrafuse
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 03-06-2006, 03:11 PM
  5. CF 1.4 + 1.5 License Problem
    By SnyperBob in forum Centrafuse
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-04-2005, 02:16 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •