Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Suggestion: Auto Zip Code for Weather

  1. #1
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    189

    Suggestion: Auto Zip Code for Weather

    The zip code needs to be entered in the settings panels for weather to know what info to download. If I drive to another state or city, I would have to re-enter the zip code to get the correct weather info. I was wondering if it would be possible for centrafuse to extract zip code/city information from the integrated Destinator. This way you would always have the correct weather information no matter where you drive. Possible?

  2. #2
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    58
    ...or you could look out the window? sorry i couldn't resist!

    Tis a cool idea tho!

  3. #3
    Raw Wave lostreception's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,806
    Quote Originally Posted by cold_fusion
    ...or you could look out the window? sorry i couldn't resist!

    Tis a cool idea tho!
    but the "real life GUI" sucks i like seeing little rain drops and lightning bolts that are pixelated just MHO
    .______
    | '_ |__\___
    [(o)|___(o)] XB
    ._________
    | I__I I_I|_\__I
    [(o)______(o)]b VanPimpin'

    LostReceptions Apps D/L Here

    GPSGasoline- Rewriting

    Draw- SkribblePad for Touchscreens

    iGQwerty-iG3.0 Qwerty Keyboard

    CarPCNetwork

  4. #4
    Super Moderator xBrady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,687
    Good idea. Does destinator give you the zip code information? Any free databases that can give you this information?
    AMD XP 2600+/512MB RAM/120GB hard drive
    Opus 150W/DVD/GPS/7" Lilliput TS/802.11g/Bluetooth
    Installed.


    -GPSSecure- - GPS Tracking
    -AltTabber2.2.2- - Handy touchscreen utility.

  5. #5
    VENDOR - Centrafuse veetid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    5,040
    I can easily get that information from Destinator.... I will make this an option in a future release...

    david
    __________________
    CENTRAFUSE http://www.centrafuse.com
    01 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4 Installed
    M10000/512Mb/20GB, Lilliput 7", Holux GM-210

  6. #6
    Variable Bitrate kmcniece's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    272
    I'm speaking out of my arse right now, so take tha tin mind while reading....

    I believe the follwing to be accurate...
    The zip code is used to determine the closest 'weatherstation' and then there is a weatherstation code used to get the weather/forecast data from the weather server that corresponds to the local weather for that particular zipcode.

    In theory,
    If the GPS mapping prgram contained the zipcode information, you could read that, lookup the local weatherstation code and dload the text file corresponding to the location you are in.

    The weather data is an ascii file with codes that correspond to the various variables for the weather, i.e. rainy/windy 75/80 cloudy/partly cloudy... plus the 5 day forecast. I belive this can all be found by Googling weather related sites like www.nws.noaa.gov.

    This site breaks down the codes somewhat:
    http://www.nws.noaa.gov/mdl/NDFD_GRI...der/ndfdwx.php

    This would be how MEEDIO and Centrafuse get their weather data, I believe.

    The key would be updating the INI file with the weathercode as you move, which I belive requires a restart of the application (not good). But I'm sure a programmer could figure out how to make the information dynamic vs. static.

    once, I speak from a vast empty space of knowledge and cannot be held liable for any rain that falls on your head while it says it should be sunny.

    Hope it helps...
    EPIA M10000, 512 Ram, Opus 90, GPS, XM, 7" Xenarc, Pioneer HU
    Status:
    Installed & Working....
    Custom enclosures
    Newbie Guide

  7. #7
    Super Moderator xBrady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,687
    Quote Originally Posted by kmcniece
    I'm speaking out of my arse right now, so take tha tin mind while reading....

    I believe the follwing to be accurate...
    The zip code is used to determine the closest 'weatherstation' and then there is a weatherstation code used to get the weather/forecast data from the weather server that corresponds to the local weather for that particular zipcode.

    In theory,
    If the GPS mapping prgram contained the zipcode information, you could read that, lookup the local weatherstation code and dload the text file corresponding to the location you are in.

    The weather data is an ascii file with codes that correspond to the various variables for the weather, i.e. rainy/windy 75/80 cloudy/partly cloudy... plus the 5 day forecast. I belive this can all be found by Googling weather related sites like www.nws.noaa.gov.

    This site breaks down the codes somewhat:
    http://www.nws.noaa.gov/mdl/NDFD_GRI...der/ndfdwx.php

    This would be how MEEDIO and Centrafuse get their weather data, I believe.

    The key would be updating the INI file with the weathercode as you move, which I belive requires a restart of the application (not good). But I'm sure a programmer could figure out how to make the information dynamic vs. static.

    once, I speak from a vast empty space of knowledge and cannot be held liable for any rain that falls on your head while it says it should be sunny.

    Hope it helps...
    Or just do this :
    Quote Originally Posted by veetid
    I can easily get that information from Destinator.... I will make this an option in a future release...

    david
    AMD XP 2600+/512MB RAM/120GB hard drive
    Opus 150W/DVD/GPS/7" Lilliput TS/802.11g/Bluetooth
    Installed.


    -GPSSecure- - GPS Tracking
    -AltTabber2.2.2- - Handy touchscreen utility.

  8. #8
    VENDOR - Centrafuse veetid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    5,040
    I would have it update on the fly and not require a restart of centrafuse...

    david
    __________________
    CENTRAFUSE http://www.centrafuse.com
    01 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4 Installed
    M10000/512Mb/20GB, Lilliput 7", Holux GM-210

  9. #9
    Variable Bitrate kmcniece's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    272
    Quote Originally Posted by veetid
    I would have it update on the fly and not require a restart of centrafuse...

    david
    So is what I said right?
    It reads the zipcode to find the closest weather station and then gets the weather string from there? I;d love to know if I am thinking this right?
    EPIA M10000, 512 Ram, Opus 90, GPS, XM, 7" Xenarc, Pioneer HU
    Status:
    Installed & Working....
    Custom enclosures
    Newbie Guide

  10. #10
    VENDOR - Centrafuse veetid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    5,040
    kmcniece: Essentially... It is more of a Postal Code instead of a zipcode... zipcodes are only US, but CENTRAFUSE will take any number of postal codes and get weather information... I can grab that info from Destinator and then have it dynamically pass that info everytime you click weather...

    david
    __________________
    CENTRAFUSE http://www.centrafuse.com
    01 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4 Installed
    M10000/512Mb/20GB, Lilliput 7", Holux GM-210

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. GPS/MapPoint VB Source Code
    By stevieg in forum Software & Software Development
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-28-2011, 03:59 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •