Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Standard playlists?

  1. #1
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    County Durham, UK
    Posts
    126

    Standard playlists?

    What format do the CF Playlists conform to?

    They are saved as .mpl and yet when I export .mpl playlists from Media Centre they cannot be imported by CF.

    Is .mpl a standard and if so does CF comply?

    Can CF work with a standard playlist, either iTunes, mpl, m3u or ascii delimited?

    It would be great to be able to creat playlists that work on a normal windows app and in CF. A commercial app should be able to work with data from other commercial apps; iTunes being no small player!

    Personally, I would not use iTunes, however, many people do and compliance with playlists standards, IMHO, is a must.

    The formats are very different:

    CF:
    Marilyn Manson - Tourniquet|C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Music\Tourniquet.mp3


    Media Centre: .mpl
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>
    <MPL Version="2.0">
    <Item>
    <Field Name="Filename">C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Music\Tourniquet.mp3</Field>
    <Field Name="Artist">Marilyn Manson</Field>
    <Field Name="Album">Antichrist Superstar</Field>
    <Field Name="Name">Tourniquet</Field>
    <Field Name="Band">Antichrist Superstar</Field>
    <Field Name="File Type">mp3</Field>
    <Field Name="Genre">Rock</Field>
    <Field Name="Bitrate">160</Field>
    <Field Name="Media Type">Audio</Field>
    <Field Name="Rating">5</Field>
    <Field Name="File Size">5384192</Field>
    <Field Name="Duration">269</Field>
    <Field Name="Track #">4</Field>
    <Field Name="Date Created">1119606130</Field>
    <Field Name="Date Modified">1107633568</Field>
    <Field Name="Date Imported">1119606884</Field>
    <Field Name="Replay Gain">-14.311590000000001</Field>
    <Field Name="Peak Level">1</Field>
    <Field Name="Intensity">4</Field>
    <Field Name="BPM">88</Field>
    <Field Name="Lyrics">She's Made Of Hair And Bone And Little Teeth
    And Things I Cannot Speak
    She Comes On Like A Crippled Plaything
    Spine Is Just A String
    I Wrapped Our Love In All This Foil
    Silver-tight Like Spider Legs
    I Never Wanted It To Ever Spoil
    But Flies Will Lay Their Eggs
    Take Your Hatred Out On Me
    Make Your Victim My Head
    You Never Ever Believed In Me
    I Am Your Tourniquet
    Prosthetic Synthesis With Butterfly
    Sealed Up With Virgin Stitch
    If It Hurts Baby Please Tell Me
    Preserve The Innocence
    I Never Wanted It To End Like This,
    But Flies Will Lay Their Eggs
    Take Your Hatred Out On Me
    Make Your Victim My Head
    You Never Ever Believed In Me
    I Am Your Tourniquet
    Take Your Hatred Out On Me
    Make Your Victim My Head
    You Never Ever Believed In Me
    I Am Your Tourniquet
    I Never Ever Believed In Me
    I Am Your Tourniquet</Field>
    <Field Name="Album Gain">-12.833404541015625</Field>
    <Field Name="Sample Rate">44100</Field>
    <Field Name="Channels">2</Field>
    <Field Name="Bit Depth">16</Field>
    <Field Name="Compression">CBR (MPEG-1 Layer 3)</Field>
    </Item>
    </MPL>

    Media Centre .m3u:
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Music\Tourniquet.mp3

    Mediac Centre ascii delimited:
    |Seq|Name|Artist|Album|Rating|Genre|Track #|Duration|Bitrate|File Type|Date|Filename|
    |1|Tourniquet|Marilyn Manson|Antichrist Superstar|5|Rock|4|4:29|160|mp3||C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Music\Tourniquet.mp3|

    iTunes
    Name Artist Composer Album Grouping Genre Size Time Disc Number Disc Count Track Number Track Count Year Date Modified Date Added Bit Rate Sample Rate Volume Adjustment Kind Equalizer Comments Play Count Last Played My Rating Location
    Tourniquet Marilyn Manson Antichrist Superstar Rock 5384192 269 4 05/02/2005 19:59 29/07/2005 08:49 160 44100 MPEG audio file C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Music\Tourniquet.mp3

  2. #2
    VENDOR - Centrafuse veetid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    5,040
    Quote Originally Posted by mindracing
    What format do the CF Playlists conform to?

    They are saved as .mpl and yet when I export .mpl playlists from Media Centre they cannot be imported by CF.

    Is .mpl a standard and if so does CF comply?

    Can CF work with a standard playlist, either iTunes, mpl, m3u or ascii delimited?

    It would be great to be able to creat playlists that work on a normal windows app and in CF. A commercial app should be able to work with data from other commercial apps; iTunes being no small player!

    Personally, I would not use iTunes, however, many people do and compliance with playlists standards, IMHO, is a must.

    The formats are very different:

    CF:
    Marilyn Manson - Tourniquet|C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Music\Tourniquet.mp3


    Media Centre: .mpl
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>
    <MPL Version="2.0">
    <Item>
    <Field Name="Filename">C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Music\Tourniquet.mp3</Field>
    <Field Name="Artist">Marilyn Manson</Field>
    <Field Name="Album">Antichrist Superstar</Field>
    <Field Name="Name">Tourniquet</Field>
    <Field Name="Band">Antichrist Superstar</Field>
    <Field Name="File Type">mp3</Field>
    <Field Name="Genre">Rock</Field>
    <Field Name="Bitrate">160</Field>
    <Field Name="Media Type">Audio</Field>
    <Field Name="Rating">5</Field>
    <Field Name="File Size">5384192</Field>
    <Field Name="Duration">269</Field>
    <Field Name="Track #">4</Field>
    <Field Name="Date Created">1119606130</Field>
    <Field Name="Date Modified">1107633568</Field>
    <Field Name="Date Imported">1119606884</Field>
    <Field Name="Replay Gain">-14.311590000000001</Field>
    <Field Name="Peak Level">1</Field>
    <Field Name="Intensity">4</Field>
    <Field Name="BPM">88</Field>
    <Field Name="Lyrics">She's Made Of Hair And Bone And Little Teeth
    And Things I Cannot Speak
    She Comes On Like A Crippled Plaything
    Spine Is Just A String
    I Wrapped Our Love In All This Foil
    Silver-tight Like Spider Legs
    I Never Wanted It To Ever Spoil
    But Flies Will Lay Their Eggs
    Take Your Hatred Out On Me
    Make Your Victim My Head
    You Never Ever Believed In Me
    I Am Your Tourniquet
    Prosthetic Synthesis With Butterfly
    Sealed Up With Virgin Stitch
    If It Hurts Baby Please Tell Me
    Preserve The Innocence
    I Never Wanted It To End Like This,
    But Flies Will Lay Their Eggs
    Take Your Hatred Out On Me
    Make Your Victim My Head
    You Never Ever Believed In Me
    I Am Your Tourniquet
    Take Your Hatred Out On Me
    Make Your Victim My Head
    You Never Ever Believed In Me
    I Am Your Tourniquet
    I Never Ever Believed In Me
    I Am Your Tourniquet</Field>
    <Field Name="Album Gain">-12.833404541015625</Field>
    <Field Name="Sample Rate">44100</Field>
    <Field Name="Channels">2</Field>
    <Field Name="Bit Depth">16</Field>
    <Field Name="Compression">CBR (MPEG-1 Layer 3)</Field>
    </Item>
    </MPL>

    Media Centre .m3u:
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Music\Tourniquet.mp3

    Mediac Centre ascii delimited:
    |Seq|Name|Artist|Album|Rating|Genre|Track #|Duration|Bitrate|File Type|Date|Filename|
    |1|Tourniquet|Marilyn Manson|Antichrist Superstar|5|Rock|4|4:29|160|mp3||C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Music\Tourniquet.mp3|

    iTunes
    Name Artist Composer Album Grouping Genre Size Time Disc Number Disc Count Track Number Track Count Year Date Modified Date Added Bit Rate Sample Rate Volume Adjustment Kind Equalizer Comments Play Count Last Played My Rating Location
    Tourniquet Marilyn Manson Antichrist Superstar Rock 5384192 269 4 05/02/2005 19:59 29/07/2005 08:49 160 44100 MPEG audio file C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Music\Tourniquet.mp3
    the format I use is my own, no standard... I didn't realize there was another playlist using the same extension... I plan to support standard playlist formats... just isn't implemented yet...

    david
    __________________
    CENTRAFUSE http://www.centrafuse.com
    01 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4 Installed
    M10000/512Mb/20GB, Lilliput 7", Holux GM-210

  3. #3
    SOS
    SOS is offline
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    187

    New playlist format and locations - anyone?

    When you start looking into playlists, could you also consider the location of the playlists.

    I donīt have the best solution but I think it would be better to support a playlist solution that other (non-car-pc) players can also use, so you donīt have to make individual playlists for the car and for your house. I think most people use the same music collection both places and then keep them in sync.


    So maybe others could pitch in here, what kind of players do you use at home, and how should the playlists solution be to work with both CF and the home-player?
    /SOS/
    XP Pro, CF 2.0-newest| Pioneer HU with 7" flip-out (EQ, Surround)
    Epia V10000 + nVidia FX5200, Opus 150w, 7" Lilliput, DVD* SlotIn, Wavelan, Bluetooth, GPS, WebCams, DVB-T


  4. #4
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    County Durham, UK
    Posts
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by SOS
    When you start looking into playlists, could you also consider the location of the playlists.

    I donīt have the best solution but I think it would be better to support a playlist solution that other (non-car-pc) players can also use, so you donīt have to make individual playlists for the car and for your house. I think most people use the same music collection both places and then keep them in sync.


    So maybe others could pitch in here, what kind of players do you use at home, and how should the playlists solution be to work with both CF and the home-player?
    I use Media Center for home. IMHO the finest there is.

    I sync my libray to my Car PC. Media Center can also see another PC as a device and sync both the library and it's playlists.

    If CF supported the same playlist it would be excellent and make playlist management easy.

  5. #5
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    124
    I second the request for MC playlists

    /p

  6. #6
    VENDOR - Centrafuse veetid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    5,040
    I use MCE myself... I will look into this for sure... I have also played with the idea of writing an MCE plugin that syncs, connects, and helps manage centrafuse in the car...

    david
    __________________
    CENTRAFUSE http://www.centrafuse.com
    01 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4 Installed
    M10000/512Mb/20GB, Lilliput 7", Holux GM-210

  7. #7
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    30
    Veetid:

    What is the advantage of having your own propietary playlist format? (Just out of curiousity, i'm not much of a programmer)

    OH and why do you guys like that jmediacenter so much? I've never even heard of it. Then again 'ive been using WinAMP 2.95 since like 2000.

  8. #8
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    County Durham, UK
    Posts
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by veetid
    I use MCE myself... I will look into this for sure... I have also played with the idea of writing an MCE plugin that syncs, connects, and helps manage centrafuse in the car...

    david
    Now that would be awesome.

    I've been using MC since MC9.

    If you haven't tried it give it a go. Takes a while to fully appreciate everything it's capable of. When you do you won't go back to any other player. Syncs to everything, plays everything, organises everything.

  9. #9
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    30
    hmmmm...I'm gonna give it a download..Maybe i'll have a chance to play with it sometime

  10. #10
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    56
    I made a script to convert m3u playlists for the mean time
    Here is A script to Convert a M3u Playlist into a CF Playlist

Similar Threads

  1. Standard Skin Format
    By Micco in forum MacCar
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-23-2005, 11:23 AM
  2. Playlists & Playlists path
    By Gobby in forum Road Runner
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-30-2005, 12:38 PM
  3. Playlists 101
    By PDiddy in forum FrodoPlayer
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-19-2005, 06:19 PM
  4. Smart Playlists
    By frodobaggins in forum FP FAQ
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-01-2004, 04:55 PM
  5. Creating Playlists for ME outside of ME
    By greenglo in forum Media Engine
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-15-2004, 06:40 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •