Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24

Thread: A few Destinator questions...

  1. #11
    Newbie Thann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    New Orleans, baby!
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by veetid
    Does your car not have a speedometer? I never have understood why some people want to see their speed so bad on the screen when it's so clearly and easily seen on their dash. I can understand direction, but not speed...

    david
    OK, well here's one reason: my truck didn't come from the factory with 35" tall tires but that's the way I want it to be. So until I can get my $1500 gear swap done so that I can then cough up ~$400 for a tuner to fine tune the performance and adjust the speedo's accuracy,

    *it would be nice*

    to be able to see what the GPS says my speed is. One other reason mentioned in this thread is the "cool factor", which is indeed a factor. Passengers will stare at it for hours on end. I mean, how many people in this forum really use their GPS for any routing to destinations unknown on a daily basis? I use routing when I'm going on a road trip to a place I've never been before, but other than that it's just for the "ooh - look where we are now". And double-checking my speed until I get the speedo adjusted.

    I agree with the other posts that suggest this was just a "hey, if possible" request, not really a necessity - I just figured if someone else wanted it too, then I wasn't the only one that thought it would make a difference.
    Ride: 2004 Nissan Murano SL AWD/Sheer Silver/Black Leather/factory HIDs.
    MoPuter: Transflectivized Lilli 7", EPIA M-10000, 512Mb RAM, 160Gb WD, SBLive!, 54g WLAN, Holux GM-213, 160W M2-ATX PSU

  2. #12
    Maximum Bitrate P3rv3rt B3ar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Funland
    Posts
    577

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by veetid
    Does your car not have a speedometer? I never have understood why some people want to see their speed so bad on the screen when it's so clearly and easily seen on their dash. I can understand direction, but not speed...

    david
    I never seen car without clock, and yet it is there in corner of cf. Come to think of it, i never saw car without rearview mirror, and still some of us are installing cams to get parking view in cf and yes every car i owned came with radio... i just dont get it, what possible use would anybody have for radiator...

    Edit: Bottomline is: we really dont _need_ carpcs, its just damn _cool_ to have one!

  3. #13
    Neither darque nor pervert DarquePervert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Posts
    13,950
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirion
    GPS speed is more accurate...
    The speedometer just gives you a big lie....
    If your speedometer isn't reporting accurate speed, then you need to get it calibrated. If your tire heigh has changed or you've changed gearing in your transmission or rear end, then it's probably off. Recalibration will take care of that.

    If you havent' shanged anything that would require recalibration of the speed o and it's still inaccurate, then replace the damn speedometer!

    I'm with David, here. You have a speedometer built into the vehicle for a reason. It's also located right in front of your face for a reason. If you want to use your PC to calculate speed and forgo a speedometer, you're asking for trouble, in my opinion.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?



    Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

  4. #14
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    120
    Quote Originally Posted by DarquePervert
    If your speedometer isn't reporting accurate speed, then you need to get it calibrated. If your tire heigh has changed or you've changed gearing in your transmission or rear end, then it's probably off. Recalibration will take care of that.

    If you havent' shanged anything that would require recalibration of the speed o and it's still inaccurate, then replace the damn speedometer!

    I'm with David, here. You have a speedometer built into the vehicle for a reason. It's also located right in front of your face for a reason. If you want to use your PC to calculate speed and forgo a speedometer, you're asking for trouble, in my opinion.
    LOL! You really don't understand laws do you... Here it's against the law to have the speedometer show less than 5% over actual speed. And I dont need to see the GPS speed, but it would be nice to see it, since it's accurate.

    If I take my car to calibrate my speedometer it will still show too much But if the speedometer does show accurate speed or anything below I will have to get that fixed so that it will show to much. These stupid laws are made to make most people drive slower than the speed limit...

    BTW my OBD-II is accurate and gives same speed as the GPS. So the my speedometer has to add a few % somehow.

  5. #15
    FLAC Jahntassa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Conyers, GA
    Posts
    1,417
    It's a proven fact that my Speedo is off as you approach ~80 MPH. I've tested with two GPSs and the GPSs are synched as the Speedo shows anywhere from 1-5 MPH off (depending on speed).

    If your GPS speed is ever off, you've got some problems with that reciever of yours. I'd trust the GPS reciever more than the car's speedo.

  6. #16
    Lum
    Lum is offline
    Variable Bitrate Lum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Liverpool, England
    Posts
    334
    Simply having tyres that are close to the legal minimum tread depth will increase your speedo readings by a few MPH as you are covering less distance for every rotation of the driveshaft. Car speedos are never accurate and as has already been stated in many parts of the world the law forces or encourages them to overread. Therefore a GPS speedo is a nice thing to have.

    While we're at it, can we have an option to make CF set the time and date based on the info it collects from GPS. This will mean that when I restore from hibernation and my date is wrong, it will be fixed, then when Destinator makes CF bomb out and I have to restart it while hurtling down the motorway I don't have to worry about setting the date again.

    FWIW I do use my satnav most days. I am a field engineer and I cover most of the UK, and while I know the routes from my house to pretty much all of my customers, when it comes to visiting two sites in one day I basically need satnav. I did 600 miles today and used Destinator to get me to my second and third jobs. It performed admirably, apart from one crash which interestingly was on the exact same bit of road as when I was following the same route on friday. I guess it is just new features in PN that D3 doesn't like.

  7. #17
    VENDOR - Centrafuse veetid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    5,040
    Quote Originally Posted by Lum
    Simply having tyres that are close to the legal minimum tread depth will increase your speedo readings by a few MPH as you are covering less distance for every rotation of the driveshaft. Car speedos are never accurate and as has already been stated in many parts of the world the law forces or encourages them to overread. Therefore a GPS speedo is a nice thing to have.

    While we're at it, can we have an option to make CF set the time and date based on the info it collects from GPS. This will mean that when I restore from hibernation and my date is wrong, it will be fixed, then when Destinator makes CF bomb out and I have to restart it while hurtling down the motorway I don't have to worry about setting the date again.

    FWIW I do use my satnav most days. I am a field engineer and I cover most of the UK, and while I know the routes from my house to pretty much all of my customers, when it comes to visiting two sites in one day I basically need satnav. I did 600 miles today and used Destinator to get me to my second and third jobs. It performed admirably, apart from one crash which interestingly was on the exact same bit of road as when I was following the same route on friday. I guess it is just new features in PN that D3 doesn't like.
    PN maps will definetly cause problems in my D3, if that is what you are doing... The current 1.6 release is designed for the older D3 maps... This will be changed in the upcoming release...

    Why does the date on your computer change?

    david
    __________________
    CENTRAFUSE http://www.centrafuse.com
    01 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4 Installed
    M10000/512Mb/20GB, Lilliput 7", Holux GM-210

  8. #18
    Banned RPM_VR4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    L.A.
    Posts
    1,893
    Yeah dude... my date/time handle hibernation fine. It sounds like you need a new BIOS battery or something.

  9. #19
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    217
    is there anywhere you can buy the older us maps?

  10. #20
    VENDOR - Centrafuse veetid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    5,040
    Quote Originally Posted by Eubey
    is there anywhere you can buy the older us maps?
    Just wait... I do not plan to use D3 anymore... I am working with PN right now... There are a few bugs I'm working out with the engineers, but hopefully PN will make it into the upcoming 1.7 release...

    david
    __________________
    CENTRAFUSE http://www.centrafuse.com
    01 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4 Installed
    M10000/512Mb/20GB, Lilliput 7", Holux GM-210

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •