Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: RC3 Sound QUality

  1. #1
    Raw Wave justintime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,695

    RC3 Sound QUality

    I have upgraded my CarPC to v 1.7RC3, from the good old v 1.4

    So this is the first time I have the ability make some sound quality comparisons between the old and the new. Keep in mind I have used 1.4 for about 1 year in my car, and I know very well how it sounds with my equipment. I know sound percpetion is subjective, but I have a very good reference point.

    I notice that sound quality is definitely different in RC3. I am using exact same settings as before: Flat EQ, No normalization, and volume levels are set to same (main and pre).

    I would say that in 1.4 the bass response was better. It was richer, chest punding base where it mattered. I can't get that anymore with RC3, and I don't know why. Fiddling with the EQ helped a little for some albums, but then made other albums worse.

    David, has the Sound processing changed since 1.4? In what way?
    2002 Honda CR-V
    Carputer progress: 90% [▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ -]
    Spent so far: $1105.90


    Download the NEXUS Skin for Centrafuse
    ...or even Listen to my music

  2. #2
    VENDOR - Centrafuse veetid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    5,040
    Quote Originally Posted by justintime View Post
    I have upgraded my CarPC to v 1.7RC3, from the good old v 1.4

    So this is the first time I have the ability make some sound quality comparisons between the old and the new. Keep in mind I have used 1.4 for about 1 year in my car, and I know very well how it sounds with my equipment. I know sound percpetion is subjective, but I have a very good reference point.

    I notice that sound quality is definitely different in RC3. I am using exact same settings as before: Flat EQ, No normalization, and volume levels are set to same (main and pre).

    I would say that in 1.4 the bass response was better. It was richer, chest punding base where it mattered. I can't get that anymore with RC3, and I don't know why. Fiddling with the EQ helped a little for some albums, but then made other albums worse.

    David, has the Sound processing changed since 1.4? In what way?

    It shouldn't have... I have gotten nothing but people saying the sound has improved from 1.4...

    david
    __________________
    CENTRAFUSE http://www.centrafuse.com
    01 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4 Installed
    M10000/512Mb/20GB, Lilliput 7", Holux GM-210

  3. #3
    _
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Little Elm, Texas
    Posts
    13,500
    check your install. Something might have changed on the audio side of things. Amplifiers, speakers, connections, grounds, power, speaker wire, etc.
    Jan Bennett
    FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

    Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

  4. #4
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Seattleish, WA
    Posts
    823
    Quote Originally Posted by RedGTiVR6 View Post
    check your install. Something might have changed on the audio side of things. Amplifiers, speakers, connections, grounds, power, speaker wire, etc.
    ??? Justin's been around here a LONG time, and given that he says he JUST upgraded to RC3, then I'll bet that he didn't also swap head units and re-wire the car while waiting for the install to complete.


    Hey Justin (and David)... I think I agree with you. I've been having issues with CF's embedded XM support, so I just switched back to AIMEE. There is a DEFINITE difference in how AIMEE sounds versus CF - like you say, the bass response is tighter outside of CF. There are obviously a couple of variables there, but given that the source is constant, I have to point and say it's the difference between the internal & external XM apps.
    :: Mark

  5. #5
    Raw Wave justintime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,695
    Correct, I ONLY CHANGED the CF app!
    2002 Honda CR-V
    Carputer progress: 90% [▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ -]
    Spent so far: $1105.90


    Download the NEXUS Skin for Centrafuse
    ...or even Listen to my music

  6. #6
    _
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Little Elm, Texas
    Posts
    13,500
    installs change over time, wires come loose and move. Connections rust and corrode.

    Doesn't matter if it's worked great for 10 years. Things happen, ESPECIALLY in a car environment.
    Jan Bennett
    FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

    Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

  7. #7
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    142
    I think that the sound quality in rc3 is way better than rc2!

  8. #8
    I see dead kittens Quattro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,922
    Quote Originally Posted by RedGTiVR6 View Post
    installs change over time, wires come loose and move. Connections rust and corrode.

    Doesn't matter if it's worked great for 10 years. Things happen, ESPECIALLY in a car environment.
    yes, but he's comparing the sound to what it was right before the install of RC3
    Installed
    Asus A7N8X-VM - AMD Mobile Athlon 2400
    512 Ram - 60GB HD - Opus 150w
    Lilliput 7" - Rikaline 6010
    [00000000000001100010-] 98% Completed

    Check Out My Install!!!

  9. #9
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Seattleish, WA
    Posts
    823
    Quote Originally Posted by clemen View Post
    I think that the sound quality in rc3 is way better than rc2!
    I agree that it's "better" in RC3 than 2, but listen to some audio files or XM _outside_ of CF (i.e., use MediaPlayer) and compare those two states.

    The bass response difference in XM outside of CF is significant enough that I had to turn down my subwoofer.
    :: Mark

  10. #10
    Raw Wave lostreception's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,806
    Quote Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
    yes, but he's comparing the sound to what it was right before the install of RC3
    .______
    | '_ |__\___
    [(o)|___(o)] XB
    ._________
    | I__I I_I|_\__I
    [(o)______(o)]b VanPimpin'

    LostReceptions Apps D/L Here

    GPSGasoline- Rewriting

    Draw- SkribblePad for Touchscreens

    iGQwerty-iG3.0 Qwerty Keyboard

    CarPCNetwork

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 33
    Last Post: 09-01-2005, 05:14 PM
  2. XM Radio Sound Quality - What Happened?
    By tbird2340 in forum FrodoPlayer
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 07-14-2005, 06:59 PM
  3. Super Sound Quality
    By DK888 in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-01-2005, 11:45 AM
  4. XM Sound Quality?
    By nFiniteTuning in forum General MP3Car Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-29-2005, 12:20 PM
  5. quality sound cards for carputer?
    By tdevil in forum Car Audio
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-05-2004, 05:02 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •