Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 41

Thread: VFD update for testing

  1. #31
    Constant Bitrate AngryMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Lewiston, Maine
    Posts
    114
    uh oh.. looks like the new fix broke my vfd output.
    .______
    / '__|__\____ VW CarPC project
    \(o)_____(o)/ Full Spead Ahead!
    Props to my Sponsor, Summit Adventure Systems Mobile Climbing Walls
    www.summitadventuresystems.com

  2. #32
    Constant Bitrate AngryMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Lewiston, Maine
    Posts
    114
    switched back to the last centrafuse.exe and my vfd display is back.
    .______
    / '__|__\____ VW CarPC project
    \(o)_____(o)/ Full Spead Ahead!
    Props to my Sponsor, Summit Adventure Systems Mobile Climbing Walls
    www.summitadventuresystems.com

  3. #33
    VENDOR - Centrafuse veetid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    5,040
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
    uh oh.. looks like the new fix broke my vfd output.
    broke it in what way? It shouldn't have changed any output features just some small CPU tweaks, or attempts...

    still working to see why CPU is so high...

    david
    __________________
    CENTRAFUSE http://www.centrafuse.com
    01 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4 Installed
    M10000/512Mb/20GB, Lilliput 7", Holux GM-210

  4. #34
    Constant Bitrate AngryMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Lewiston, Maine
    Posts
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by veetid View Post
    broke it in what way? It shouldn't have changed any output features just some small CPU tweaks, or attempts...

    still working to see why CPU is so high...

    david
    broke it as in, when I unzipped the new exe into the proper location and ran it, I had no vfd output. blank screen. (no bars either)
    I went in, and made changes to the settings. clicked VFD OFF, VFD ON, restarted, etc. no output to the lcd.

    so I switched back to the previous LCD and it started working again.

    I dont really suffer from the cpu load so Ill stick to this exe till I get back from my vacation.

    good luck
    .______
    / '__|__\____ VW CarPC project
    \(o)_____(o)/ Full Spead Ahead!
    Props to my Sponsor, Summit Adventure Systems Mobile Climbing Walls
    www.summitadventuresystems.com

  5. #35
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Seattleish, WA
    Posts
    823
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
    broke it as in, when I unzipped the new exe into the proper location and ran it, I had no vfd output. blank screen. (no bars either)
    I went in, and made changes to the settings. clicked VFD OFF, VFD ON, restarted, etc. no output to the lcd.
    This happened to me as well.

    Make sure that you unpack the new vfd.html file that's in the ZIP and put it into the SYSTEM folder underneath the CF install directory. CF needs to see the new tag that's in the XML file. If it doesn't, it won't output to the LCD.
    :: Mark

  6. #36
    VENDOR - Centrafuse veetid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    5,040
    You might want to check this thread too...

    VFD Fix for CPU

    The CPU problem should be fixed...

    david
    __________________
    CENTRAFUSE http://www.centrafuse.com
    01 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4 Installed
    M10000/512Mb/20GB, Lilliput 7", Holux GM-210

  7. #37
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Seattleish, WA
    Posts
    823
    It's fixed! CPU usage during VFD scrolling is no different than CPU usage with the VFD module disabled.

    Thank you for sticking with this David!


    So... what'd ya' do?
    :: Mark

  8. #38
    VENDOR - Centrafuse veetid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    5,040
    Quote Originally Posted by midiwall View Post
    It's fixed! CPU usage during VFD scrolling is no different than CPU usage with the VFD module disabled.

    Thank you for sticking with this David!


    So... what'd ya' do?
    it was reading from the LPT port that was causing the issues... this is how I did delays...

    I replaced with basic Thread sleeping... I guess reading from the port costs CPU, which is surprising...

    it works though, so I'm happy

    david
    __________________
    CENTRAFUSE http://www.centrafuse.com
    01 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4 Installed
    M10000/512Mb/20GB, Lilliput 7", Holux GM-210

  9. #39
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Seattleish, WA
    Posts
    823
    Quote Originally Posted by veetid View Post
    it was reading from the LPT port that was causing the issues... this is how I did delays...

    I replaced with basic Thread sleeping... I guess reading from the port costs CPU, which is surprising...
    Yeow... Yeah, reading from a port in a loop is pretty costly. The system ends up in a wait looking for data to get latched.

    Port input is usually done on interrupts so that code is only executed when there's something to do.

    MUCH better call to just use Sleep().
    :: Mark

  10. #40
    VENDOR - Centrafuse veetid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    5,040
    Quote Originally Posted by midiwall View Post
    Yeow... Yeah, reading from a port in a loop is pretty costly. The system ends up in a wait looking for data to get latched.

    Port input is usually done on interrupts so that code is only executed when there's something to do.

    MUCH better call to just use Sleep().
    Yeah, it was based on HD44780 programming spec though... Wait delays after writes should read from the port to check bytes and loop certain microsecond time delays...

    I still do it for the init process, but just during the writing I switched it to simply sleep the microsecond delays and assume the write worked...

    again though, it's working now so I'm happy...

    david
    __________________
    CENTRAFUSE http://www.centrafuse.com
    01 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4 Installed
    M10000/512Mb/20GB, Lilliput 7", Holux GM-210

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Chuck's Skins lots of pics Update 7-16-07
    By Chuck in forum RR Released Skins
    Replies: 297
    Last Post: 11-10-2011, 08:22 PM
  2. 95 Lexus SC300 - 0l33l's "Project SC300"
    By 0l33l in forum Worklogs
    Replies: 552
    Last Post: 01-14-2010, 08:55 AM
  3. VFD Display
    By leesilk in forum LCD/Display
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-20-2009, 11:32 PM
  4. GPS Update fequency and Dead Reckoning
    By Scouse Monkey in forum GPS
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 05-12-2005, 06:46 AM
  5. Serial 4x20 VFD for Sale $75 Shipped
    By johnram in forum Classified Archive
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-21-2002, 05:26 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •