Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 41

Thread: VFD update for testing

  1. #1
    VENDOR - Centrafuse veetid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    5,040

    VFD update for testing

    I created a new centrafuse.exe to test VFD functionality for HD44780 displays...

    Simply close Centrafuse and overwrite the one file and reload, setup your VFD.

    I was sent a VFD that didn't work and these changes fixed the device and made it work.

    I need to also make sure that the code changes did not break VFD's that were already working, one of the VFD's I was testing with stopped working with the new code... I might have to make an option to for two write methods, but it was my one flaky old VFD...

    Post feedback on whether this fixes your VFD problems or if it breaks your VFD that was working just fine in RC5, or if it does nothing...

    david
    __________________
    CENTRAFUSE http://www.centrafuse.com
    01 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4 Installed
    M10000/512Mb/20GB, Lilliput 7", Holux GM-210

  2. #2
    VENDOR - Centrafuse veetid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    5,040
    I have updated the code again... This should work with all HD44780 VFD displays...

    I was able to get all 5 I have now working with this code...

    Let me know your results... Follow same instructions as above...

    Check later post

    david
    __________________
    CENTRAFUSE http://www.centrafuse.com
    01 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4 Installed
    M10000/512Mb/20GB, Lilliput 7", Holux GM-210

  3. #3
    Constant Bitrate AngryMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Lewiston, Maine
    Posts
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by veetid View Post
    I have updated the code again... This should work with all HD44780 VFD displays...

    I was able to get all 5 I have now working with this code...

    Let me know your results... Follow same instructions as above...

    david

    Dave, you are a Genius. I'll go home and hook up my other LCD to try this out. THANKS!
    .______
    / '__|__\____ VW CarPC project
    \(o)_____(o)/ Full Spead Ahead!
    Props to my Sponsor, Summit Adventure Systems Mobile Climbing Walls
    www.summitadventuresystems.com

  4. #4
    Constant Bitrate AngryMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Lewiston, Maine
    Posts
    114
    IT WORKS!!!
    .______
    / '__|__\____ VW CarPC project
    \(o)_____(o)/ Full Spead Ahead!
    Props to my Sponsor, Summit Adventure Systems Mobile Climbing Walls
    www.summitadventuresystems.com

  5. #5
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Seattleish, WA
    Posts
    823
    Wow... okay, ignore my PM on the Flux site - it looks like you have it under control!

    I have my display with me at work today 'caus I was gonna start working on some code for you. I'll fire up CF here in a bit and see how things go.

    Thanks man!
    :: Mark

  6. #6
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Seattleish, WA
    Posts
    823
    _score_

    Well done dude. It works.

    So... what'd you do?
    :: Mark

  7. #7
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Seattleish, WA
    Posts
    823
    Hmm.... The VFD module is burning a LOT of CPU.

    It looks like VFD has about a 17% overhead on this machine, (2.4Ghz P4, 1.5gig RAM, WinXP). Playing a track with VFD disabled shows CF pulling about 3%. If I enable VFD (and then restart CF to get it to take) playing the same track shows about 20-23% CPU.

    I know it's an intensive process, but I'm thinking this is gonna kill the M10000 in the truck.
    :: Mark

  8. #8
    VENDOR - Centrafuse veetid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    5,040
    Quote Originally Posted by midiwall View Post
    Hmm.... The VFD module is burning a LOT of CPU.

    It looks like VFD has about a 17% overhead on this machine, (2.4Ghz P4, 1.5gig RAM, WinXP). Playing a track with VFD disabled shows CF pulling about 3%. If I enable VFD (and then restart CF to get it to take) playing the same track shows about 20-23% CPU.

    I know it's an intensive process, but I'm thinking this is gonna kill the M10000 in the truck.
    I tested it on my M10000 and it works... It does take some CPU and if there are some issues I will try to improve...

    I could easily lower the refresh rate, but for things like speed and scrolling titles it has to be pretty fast, which uses some CPU...

    I believe it will work though...

    david
    __________________
    CENTRAFUSE http://www.centrafuse.com
    01 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4 Installed
    M10000/512Mb/20GB, Lilliput 7", Holux GM-210

  9. #9
    VENDOR - Centrafuse veetid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    5,040
    Quote Originally Posted by midiwall View Post
    _score_

    Well done dude. It works.

    So... what'd you do?
    One line of code after a basic write command was wrong, just took awhile to find it...

    stupid xor operator...

    david
    __________________
    CENTRAFUSE http://www.centrafuse.com
    01 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4 Installed
    M10000/512Mb/20GB, Lilliput 7", Holux GM-210

  10. #10
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Seattleish, WA
    Posts
    823
    Quote Originally Posted by veetid View Post
    I tested it on my M10000 and it works... It does take some CPU and if there are some issues I will try to improve...

    I could easily lower the refresh rate, but for things like speed and scrolling titles it has to be pretty fast, which uses some CPU...
    Can you make scrolling optional? I'd ditch scrolling titles to get back even 10% CPU.
    :: Mark

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Chuck's Skins lots of pics Update 7-16-07
    By Chuck in forum RR Released Skins
    Replies: 297
    Last Post: 11-10-2011, 07:22 PM
  2. 95 Lexus SC300 - 0l33l's "Project SC300"
    By 0l33l in forum Worklogs
    Replies: 552
    Last Post: 01-14-2010, 07:55 AM
  3. VFD Display
    By leesilk in forum LCD/Display
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-20-2009, 10:32 PM
  4. GPS Update fequency and Dead Reckoning
    By Scouse Monkey in forum GPS
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 05-12-2005, 05:46 AM
  5. Serial 4x20 VFD for Sale $75 Shipped
    By johnram in forum Classified Archive
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-21-2002, 04:26 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •