Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33

Thread: PocketPC FrontEnd in the making!

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Cluj Napoca, Romania
    Posts
    11

    PocketPC FrontEnd in the making!

    Hello everybody,

    I am new to this site, but not new to car stuff and programming.
    Since I love to customize my car, and make software in general, I decided to make a custom Front End for my PocketPC which I will mount in my car.

    Why do I post this here?
    Because I am looking for suggestions and ideeas of what else to add to this software.

    Basicly, what I have is :
    HP Ipaq h6430 (PocketPC with Bluetooth, WiFi, IrDa and built-in mobile phone).
    Bluetooth GPS receiver.

    These are the features I consider adding :
    - Trip computer (current speed and related stats, distance traveled, etc)
    - Media playback (video, audio, etc)
    - Live weather forecasts and conditions over internet download. This will be coupled with the trip computer to give out warning if the weather is bad or about to go bad.
    - GPS navigation

    Any thoughts, wishes and ideeas are very welcomed.

  2. #2
    The Vauxhall Vectra Project ccsnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Morecambe, Lancs, UK ( Just For The Moment )
    Posts
    2,680
    Quote Originally Posted by mrobert
    Hello everybody,

    I am new to this site, but not new to car stuff and programming.
    Since I love to customize my car, and make software in general, I decided to make a custom Front End for my PocketPC which I will mount in my car.

    Why do I post this here?
    Because I am looking for suggestions and ideeas of what else to add to this software.

    Basicly, what I have is :
    HP Ipaq h6430 (PocketPC with Bluetooth, WiFi, IrDa and built-in mobile phone).
    Bluetooth GPS receiver.

    These are the features I consider adding :
    - Trip computer (current speed and related stats, distance traveled, etc)
    - Media playback (video, audio, etc)
    - Live weather forecasts and conditions over internet download. This will be coupled with the trip computer to give out warning if the weather is bad or about to go bad.
    - GPS navigation

    Any thoughts, wishes and ideeas are very welcomed.
    Just subscibing - very intrested in the concept...

    Terran

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Cluj Napoca, Romania
    Posts
    11
    I will be rolling out an interface design shortly to get a "view" of the whole thing.

    It's not my purpose, but the last game I wrote for a PPC, only needed a few minor changes work on a PC, so this should work on a PC aswell.

  4. #4
    Maximum Bitrate 2Fast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Bristol UK
    Posts
    595
    I would love a PocketPC front end for my motorbike but i haven't the programming skills (+ i'm too lazy to learn em )

    I think the idea would be popular, especially for people that want to remove it for security and/or don't want to cut up thier car.

    GPS and Music is a must (obviously)
    Phone control would be nice
    Weather would be a bonus
    It would be great if it was skinable (i'd need big buttons for use with gloves)

    Andy

  5. #5
    The Vauxhall Vectra Project ccsnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Morecambe, Lancs, UK ( Just For The Moment )
    Posts
    2,680
    Quote Originally Posted by 2FastMR2
    I would love a PocketPC front end for my motorbike but i haven't the programming skills (+ i'm too lazy to learn em )

    I think the idea would be popular, especially for people that want to remove it for security and/or don't want to cut up thier car.

    GPS and Music is a must (obviously)
    Phone control would be nice
    Weather would be a bonus
    It would be great if it was skinable (i'd need big buttons for use with gloves)

    Andy
    Voice control I think is a must....

    Terran

  6. #6
    Newbie Anakin78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Cordoba, Spain
    Posts
    9
    JuJuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!!!!!!!!

    I'm very interested in this proyect!

    In my opinion it could be:

    - Scaning wifis in order to import how PDI to TOMTOM.
    - Integration of TOMTOM

    Come on you can!!!!

  7. #7
    The Vauxhall Vectra Project ccsnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Morecambe, Lancs, UK ( Just For The Moment )
    Posts
    2,680
    Quote Originally Posted by Anakin78
    JuJuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!!!!!!!!

    I'm very interested in this proyect!

    In my opinion it could be:

    - Scaning wifis in order to import how PDI to TOMTOM.
    - Integration of TOMTOM

    Come on you can!!!!
    Wififofum....

    Terran

  8. #8
    Newbie Anakin78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Cordoba, Spain
    Posts
    9
    what about this??

  9. #9
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Cluj Napoca, Romania
    Posts
    11
    Anakin78 : What, about "what"? ... your question is a bit confusing.

  10. #10
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    33

    a fan

    mrobert - great idea, think you're onto something

    I have ipaq 3715 (i think that's the model - hard to tell...) - 802.11b, BT, IR - I velcro to my dash in landscape mode with audio out interface to alpine hu aux in. interfaced to etrex gps via ups & power cord, running mapopolis, that worked good (til dog stepped on power adapter and broke it). I run Conduits' Pocket Player 2, which is skinnable, great UI, includes equalizer, overall very good player imho, will pay for this one when free period expires. I take ipaq out of car at night, just to play with in house, including synching up any rips or updates from base system in house. It goes back into car in about 2 seconds. It's always on in the car, even if car is off. I don't have to worry about power surges and gently powering down after car is powered off. I don't have to worry about setting up touchscreen to work - all this stuff just works.

    In my prior car setup, I had epia-in-the-glove-box mobo, lilliput touchscreen velcroed to dash, powered by opus 90w smart psu (which they now tell me is obsolete after what, 6 months!?), and plain ol' harddrive hanging out in glove box near mobo. wifi in pci slot, antenna with magnetic base, whoever was riding shotgun had to stick out the window (this was during warmer months last spring) - was advised not to drive by airports with this setup - it was fun, til I shorted out the hu one day, but it was always a lot of work ...

    But now that I've had some experience with PPC, I'm hooked. I mean think about it - under $300 and you get a complete, functional, turnkey system, with integrated touchscreen, wifi, bt, good set of windows apps, battery power, and decent extendability. You can do GPS, Audio, Internet, Video, Wardriving (WiFiFoFum is a neat little tool). And I don't spend any time fussing around with it - it just works. I'm now focused much more on audio quality, better amps & speakers, etc - instead of tweaking XP and installing drivers etc. Seems like a better place.

    So what would make it better?

    1st, a clean interface ala roadrunner or any of the others. big buttons, prob no more than 6 or 8 per screen. Easy navigation screen to screen. etc. Ability to add user apps. Prob need both landscape and portrait modes - I prefer landscape in the car.

    Second, some way to more easily and reliably connect to outside world. wifi on this thing seems weak - not sure if it's the 802.11b, or the hardware in device, or the absence of antenna, or the software, or all of above - but it's definitely worse at snagging and keeping signals.

    Third, interface to bigger device - use PPC as front-end to Windows based device that's tucked away somwhere. Things I've tried so far in this vein include MSTSC (sucks), VPN (good for file access only), UPnP style media interface (works pretty reliably, but the user interface is clunky at best). There's prob a bunch of ways - I know Winamp has a Web plugin, so you could control via browser. You could run winamp on "server", then control from IE on PPC. Again, might be clunky.

    4th, bigger screen. Understood not your problem. But a bigger footprint would be awe-some. Like even 25% larger. Have looked into tablets - not the same.

    Well, I guess you have at least one fan here - let me know if you need anything tested, happy to try any software.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. XUL Frontend....
    By SFiorito in forum Software & Software Development
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-02-2009, 11:23 AM
  2. Changes with the frontend...
    By Ninja Monkey in forum Map Monkey
    Replies: 80
    Last Post: 01-25-2005, 06:09 PM
  3. New D3 Frontend coming soon..
    By CdRsKuLL in forum Software & Software Development
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-13-2005, 04:21 PM
  4. Destinator 3 Frontend v1.1
    By Ninja Monkey in forum Map Monkey
    Replies: 139
    Last Post: 10-25-2004, 10:40 PM
  5. MediaEngine Skin making
    By liquid_smoke in forum ME Archive
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-13-2003, 08:45 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •