The open source navigation problem
The goal of this forum and community effort is to create a free map and routing application that is easy to install and use on many platforms The map and routing engine will be continuously updated by those connected to the Internet.
Why do navigation users need to pay 9$ a month for navigation or 50$ for stale map data that never gets updated? Car companies also charge hundred of dollars for built in navigation upgrades.
None of the current open source or paid offerings have these core features all in one package
- Free, Accurate, usable
- Easy to install package for use on low power mobile devices
- Passively, crowd source collected map data
- An algorithm to passively process the above and make it routable
- A routing algorithm to work with the above
- I am sure as the discussion continues we can clarify this problems list.
I will be moderating this forum with our new moderator, ChunkykS. Over the next week or so we hope to hear more ideas about how the rest of the community can help.
A good place to start reading is a blog post we did in late june of 2009 . There is also a video there explaining the difference between passive and active map generation.