Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 68

Thread: What data to collect?

  1. #31
    Variable Bitrate
    Auto Apps:loading...
    thekl0wn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    PoCo, Indiana
    Posts
    284
    So, what's the entire project's acronym? We can't go any further without a catchy acronym to reference the project.
    Play with it, 'til it's broke.

  2. #32
    Maximum Bitrate
    Auto Apps:loading...
    lambosprit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    786
    Just wondered if I can be of help.

    I already have a tracking software developed that could be changed to collect the data your after. It already works by internet or wifi and works on an sqllite database.

    I found out alot about nmea strings on this site. Hugely helpful.

    http://www.codeproject.com/KB/mobile...ications1.aspx

    One of the key things I found out about was accuracy. Each nmea string has its own variable of how accurate it is so its easy to set a level of accuracy to consider worth collecting or not.

    anyway if you need me I'm here and interested.

  3. #33
    is back. FKA Robert Wray
    Auto Apps:loading...
    Fiberoptic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1978
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    1,418
    Blog Entries
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by lambosprit View Post
    Just wondered if I can be of help.

    I already have a tracking software developed that could be changed to collect the data your after. It already works by internet or wifi and works on an sqllite database.

    That is great! Do you have any more details on this?

  4. #34
    Variable Bitrate
    Auto Apps:loading...
    thekl0wn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    PoCo, Indiana
    Posts
    284
    There's some good info in that article! Thanks for posting!
    Play with it, 'til it's broke.

  5. #35
    Maximum Bitrate
    Auto Apps:loading...
    lambosprit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    786
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiberoptic View Post
    That is great! Do you have any more details on this?
    what details do you want?

    You can check it out here

    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/gps/...me-server.html

  6. #36
    Maximum Bitrate
    Auto Apps:loading...
    lambosprit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    786
    I've been thinking more about this. I concentrated on the issue of privacy because I think to get the large number of people required to get this to work its going to have to be private.

    Its possible for me to modify my software so that each user gets an automatically generated user id. Nobody would have any idea who the user was as no personnel details are collected and you donít have to log onto a site first. This could be like a GUID key. I know its technically possible to trace these but isnít everything.

    I could then get the client (or server) to update the ftp site through a proxy site. That way thereís no tracing of ipís.

    Speed could be sent to the server as a range so >30mph rather than an actual value. These could be the major speed limits so for the uk it would be >30,>60, and 70 of course.

    Lastly I could implement a random removal of points that could identify location. I think this last point could be removed over time as more of the map is fleshed out.

    I think youíd also need to get the big skin people on board as well. If the likes of DigitalFX , Lsx Void and CF (I know its not a skin) where involved then the distribution would go up hugely (my software has been download <100 times thatís not gong to make for a great map!)

    Getting thunderstick interested with his sign recognition software would be a major step on the way as well as nobodies going to be interested in imputing data as they drive.

  7. #37
    MySQL Error soundman98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    on the border of northern IL/IN
    Posts
    5,820
    one of my concerns would be the random data cuttoff-- i think that this would still need to be used even after there were alot of people using it--ie. i would never want people to see my driveway as part of the map, and possibly get routed down it.

    the other issue, while not that big of a deal for me, is that some members would like a link to be added to their signature to show how many tracks they have uploaded. like i said, this is not a big deal for me(i am fine with just a 'mp3car map data contributer' title in my sig). maybe there could be some sort of link that would update with the user upload account that the member could specify.

    i would be happy to contribute as long as the a random data cutoff is used, and there is no personal data connecting me to any specific upload, so i don't have to worry about getting tickets based on my uploaded data.

  8. #38
    Admin. Linux loser.
    Auto Apps:loading...
    Bugbyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Corning, NY
    Posts
    7,359
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by lambosprit View Post
    I've been thinking more about this. I concentrated on the issue of privacy because I think to get the large number of people required to get this to work its going to have to be private.

    Its possible for me to modify my software so that each user gets an automatically generated user id. Nobody would have any idea who the user was as no personnel details are collected and you donít have to log onto a site first. This could be like a GUID key. I know its technically possible to trace these but isnít everything.

    I could then get the client (or server) to update the ftp site through a proxy site. That way thereís no tracing of ipís.
    These are good ideas! I think they represent a good balance of usability and privacy. If possible, it would be good to allow people to obfuscate their tracks parametrically. Heh-heh. I said parametrically. What I mean is there should be options to share more or less data that can be set by the user. So, one checkbox might be 'only share data after 3 minutes of travel' and the user can set that to whatever he/she wants. Another might be 'don't share data within x miles of this location'.

    I wouldn't have too may of these restrictions and maybe just something like a "share a lot of data" or "share less data" setting for users to help them out.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruzer View Post
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

  9. #39
    Maximum Bitrate
    Auto Apps:loading...
    lambosprit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    786
    Quote Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
    the other issue, while not that big of a deal for me, is that some members would like a link to be added to their signature to show how many tracks they have uploaded. like i said, this is not a big deal for me(i am fine with just a 'mp3car map data contributer' title in my sig). maybe there could be some sort of link that would update with the user upload account that the member could specify.
    well we could allow that. It just needs the member to supply their guid to the site. Then the site could show the uploaded miles etc. Kind of an opt in.

    Quote Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
    i would be happy to contribute as long as the a random data cutoff is used, and there is no personal data connecting me to any specific upload, so i don't have to worry about getting tickets based on my uploaded data.
    No probs with that. As I said I think this is the major issue. If people feel safe they'll sign up and give loads of data. If they dont they wont touch it.

  10. #40
    Maximum Bitrate
    Auto Apps:loading...
    lambosprit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    786
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugbyte View Post
    These are good ideas! I think they represent a good balance of usability and privacy. If possible, it would be good to allow people to obfuscate their tracks parametrically. Heh-heh. I said parametrically. What I mean is there should be options to share more or less data that can be set by the user. So, one checkbox might be 'only share data after 3 minutes of travel' and the user can set that to whatever he/she wants. Another might be 'don't share data within x miles of this location'.

    I wouldn't have too may of these restrictions and maybe just something like a "share a lot of data" or "share less data" setting for users to help them out.
    Parametrising is not a problem. It could be kept as simple as "I like my privacy" or "I'm not bothered".

    The other thought I've had is more people don't have internet in the car than do. I suspect most have wifi though. Do you think we could rely on this or would it be better to have an off line mode , say file and another little app that uploads the data from a desktop. Trying to keep things simple and easy to use here.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 437
    Last Post: 04-16-2012, 07:49 AM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-06-2009, 04:14 PM
  3. Can you guys please help me??? OBD Renault Clio help needed!
    By madtoonbull in forum Engine Management, OBD-II, Engine Diagnostics, etc.
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-19-2009, 10:36 AM
  4. Pinout Color Codes / Tables
    By gummybear in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-12-2005, 03:05 AM
  5. VOICES Traffic Data
    By stevieg in forum V.O.I.C.E.S
    Replies: 85
    Last Post: 05-31-2004, 08:24 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •