Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 69

Thread: Bought a ELM 327 and it doesnt work!!!

  1. #31
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    5

    Angry

    my ELM is gitting closer to the skip!!!!!!!!!!
    still no joy with it com1 to 9 still not working

  2. #32
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by pjw View Post
    Teetr: did you get your interface working ?
    Yes I got it working, it only works when connected to both the car and the computer.

  3. #33
    North of the land of Hey Huns
    Auto Apps:loading...

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Westminster, MD
    Posts
    2,144
    That's another thing, make sure your ELM is connected to the computer AND car, and your ignition is on, otherwise it may not work.

  4. #34
    FLAC greatwhite's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Top o' the world Ma!
    Posts
    1,282
    Quote Originally Posted by malcom2073 View Post
    That's another thing, make sure your ELM is connected to the computer AND car, and your ignition is on, otherwise it may not work.
    I thought that was self explanitory...........

    Oh well, never assume i guess.........
    For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
    Leonardo Da Vinci

  5. #35
    pjw
    pjw is offline
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by malcom2073 View Post
    Can you open up hyperterminal or some other serial prgoram and connect? If you press the enter key, it should display either "Elm v1.2 compatable" or something similar then a >. If not, you could be on the wrong COM port.

    Is your interface Serial or USB (Virtual serial port)?
    For my understanding: should the ELM be connected to the car if I try the hyperterm trick ?

  6. #36
    FLAC greatwhite's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Top o' the world Ma!
    Posts
    1,282
    Quote Originally Posted by pjw View Post
    For my understanding: should the ELM be connected to the car if I try the hyperterm trick ?
    Yes.

    Good grief........
    For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
    Leonardo Da Vinci

  7. #37
    North of the land of Hey Huns
    Auto Apps:loading...

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Westminster, MD
    Posts
    2,144
    Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    I thought that was self explanitory...........

    Oh well, never assume i guess.........
    I actually tried connecting to the ELM327 without it being connected to the car the first time. This is possible if it is a USB unit if it is wired for power off USB... but most of them are powered off the cars OBD port instead. Only took me two tries before I plugged it into the car and then it worked

  8. #38
    pjw
    pjw is offline
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    Yes.

    Good grief........
    Sorry .....
    This one was just to be sure :-)

    Thanx;

  9. #39
    pjw
    pjw is offline
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by malcom2073 View Post
    I actually tried connecting to the ELM327 without it being connected to the car the first time. This is possible if it is a USB unit if it is wired for power off USB... but most of them are powered off the cars OBD port instead. Only took me two tries before I plugged it into the car and then it worked
    It seems my unit get's power both way's ......
    Connected to the car the powerled is much stronger although
    I doubt if it is a real powerled because sometimes when making
    ignition the led dies for a short while. At that time TX-OBD is
    flashing so I have car communication.

  10. #40
    FLAC greatwhite's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Top o' the world Ma!
    Posts
    1,282
    Elm 327 based units are powered from the vehicle's OBDII connector............

    http://www.auterraweb.com/obdiipinout.html
    For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
    Leonardo Da Vinci

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •