Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 69

Thread: Bought a ELM 327 and it doesnt work!!!

  1. #41
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    5
    hi all i have tried all of the tricks advice just give couple of flash and that’s it I have tried HyperTerminal and that just looks at me or I get some writing which is unreadable to looks a bit like this ( < …^*””> ) so iam total lost and still need a map help”””””””””” o yes I have two of these and they do the same nothing thanks for reading .

  2. #42
    pjw
    pjw is offline
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by sonyinneed View Post
    hi all i have tried all of the tricks advice just give couple of flash and that’s it I have tried HyperTerminal and that just looks at me or I get some writing which is unreadable to looks a bit like this ( < …^*””> ) so iam total lost and still need a map help”””””””””” o yes I have two of these and they do the same nothing thanks for reading .
    Seems like wrong comm settings;
    Have a look at the comportguide that comes with the ftdi drivers or look at:
    http://ess.myvnc.com:8928/DISK%201/V...MPortGuide.htm

  3. #43
    Who am I? HiJackZX1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    6,557
    Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    Yes.

    Good grief........
    HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA.... OMFG, the device is made to scan the car, of course its not gonna work if its not connected to it. I feel you great white......

    So is this why most of you are having issues? Well i guess i was unlucky with my unit. The new one works perfect. Although some of the percentages seem off, like engine load is at 1004% when idling, that doesnt sound right, lol.
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

    1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

  4. #44
    pjw
    pjw is offline
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by HiJackZX1 View Post
    HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA.... OMFG, the device is made to scan the car, of course its not gonna work if its not connected to it. I feel you great white......
    That the device is functionally not working when disconnected from the car is clear :-)
    That the device is technically not working is only due to the missing powerline (The
    +12V on pin 16 of the OBD2 connector). I guess that if you apply this power the hyperterm trick does work because the device is nothing more than some kind of modem between the car and your pc and as you know a modem does function technically well without a phone line (and responds to the at commands) ......

  5. #45
    FLAC greatwhite's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Top o' the world Ma!
    Posts
    1,282
    Quote Originally Posted by pjw View Post
    That the device is functionally not working when disconnected from the car is clear :-)
    That the device is technically not working is only due to the missing powerline (The
    +12V on pin 16 of the OBD2 connector). I guess that if you apply this power the hyperterm trick does work because the device is nothing more than some kind of modem between the car and your pc and as you know a modem does function technically well without a phone line (and responds to the at commands) ......
    Wait a minute here.....................

    What year and type of car are you trying to connect to?

    It may not be OBD II compliant.

    If you don't have a pin 16 or it doesn't have power on it, something is definetly messed up somewhere.............
    For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
    Leonardo Da Vinci

  6. #46
    FLAC greatwhite's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Top o' the world Ma!
    Posts
    1,282
    Quote Originally Posted by HiJackZX1 View Post
    HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA.... OMFG, the device is made to scan the car, of course its not gonna work if its not connected to it. I feel you great white......

    So is this why most of you are having issues? Well i guess i was unlucky with my unit. The new one works perfect. Although some of the percentages seem off, like engine load is at 1004% when idling, that doesnt sound right, lol.
    Ya know, you could have been a little "gentler" with that response................

    Sounds like you're got the wrong PID defined somewhere also.
    For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
    Leonardo Da Vinci

  7. #47
    pjw
    pjw is offline
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    Wait a minute here.....................

    What year and type of car are you trying to connect to?

    It may not be OBD II compliant.

    If you don't have a pin 16 or it doesn't have power on it, something is definetly messed up somewhere.............
    Ok; You may got me there .... :-)
    I have a Honda (Acura) Integra Type-R from '98; I know it is OBD2 compliant but the car has not a 16-pin connector but instead of that it has a 3-pin connector.
    To Convert the 3-pin to 16-pin I bought a special connector on ebay: http://cgi.benl.ebay.be/HoNDA-3-PINS...QQcmdZViewItem (Scroll down)

    As far as I know that should work because the right pin's are connected (Ground, data, +12V); Do you have an opinion about that ?

  8. #48
    FLAC greatwhite's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Top o' the world Ma!
    Posts
    1,282
    Quote Originally Posted by pjw View Post
    Ok; You may got me there .... :-)
    I have a Honda (Acura) Integra Type-R from '98; I know it is OBD2 compliant but the car has not a 16-pin connector but instead of that it has a 3-pin connector.
    To Convert the 3-pin to 16-pin I bought a special connector on ebay: http://cgi.benl.ebay.be/HoNDA-3-PINS...QQcmdZViewItem (Scroll down)

    As far as I know that should work because the right pin's are connected (Ground, data, +12V); Do you have an opinion about that ?
    Aha!

    The plot thickens..........

    Your integra should be OBDII since it's post 96.
    You've got a fair bit of hardware between your computer and the OBDII stream. If you don't have 12v on pin 16, I'd check your adapter and make sure it's making proper contact at both the vehicle connector and the elm 327 scanner connector.

    That's seem to be the most likely point of failure..........

    Cheers
    For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
    Leonardo Da Vinci

  9. #49
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    8
    My ELM 327 v1.2a doesn't have a connection on pin 8.

    Only pins connected are 2,4,5,6,7,10,14,15,16

    My VAG COM 409.1 doesn't use pin 8 either.

  10. #50
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    5

    Smile

    hi all thanks to you all for your help in trying to get my elm 327 to work on my ford galaxy but i have now scraped both the boxs and bought a new vag com 805 and it work as soon as i connected to the car and solved all my problems with the car so good riddance to the elm 327 my advice is to buy a vag com and save your self some head ache thanks for reading kind regards to you all .

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •