Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 69

Thread: Bought a ELM 327 and it doesnt work!!!

  1. #51
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2
    the same problem...

    purchased the cheap usb cable from ebay (from honkong) and its not working... tried with various software.

    my car is 1996 volvo 850 and it has full obd connector.. (based on the pins it should be ISO9141/14230)

    as far as i can get the software finds the cable, connects to cable (lights start blinking)... and then when the software tries to connect to my cars OBD - it fails...

    tried setting manually the needed protocol, however it didn't work either... tried various baud rates... didnt work... - could anyone else please give me any ideas what to try next?

  2. #52
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    8
    Sansan

    When you try to use the ELM327 obd device, have you turned the ignition on or started the engine.

  3. #53
    FLAC greatwhite's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Top o' the world Ma!
    Posts
    1,282
    what software are you using?
    For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
    Leonardo Da Vinci

  4. #54
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2
    yes the ignition was on (also tried the cable with engine on)...

    software - various kind of freeware (mostly listed also in this forum) also tried with proscan

    none was able to read my volvos obd..

    also the seller from ebay didnt know why the cable couldnt read my car.. probably will try later with a different car just to chek if the cable is ok..

  5. #55
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by sansan View Post
    yes the ignition was on (also tried the cable with engine on)...

    software - various kind of freeware (mostly listed also in this forum) also tried with proscan

    none was able to read my volvos obd..

    also the seller from ebay didnt know why the cable couldnt read my car.. probably will try later with a different car just to chek if the cable is ok..
    +1

    got a connection to elm327. but elm to car connection is bad. different doftware doesnt help.

    tried it on 02 gmc sierra and 05 silverado

  6. #56
    VENDOR - OBDPros
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    359
    Both the vehicles are OBD II compliant so if the scantool claims to be OBD II compliant it should have worked.

    I think this is one of the problems with the ebayers, they try to shave every dollar and then when people run into problems the supplier cannot afford to support the folks with problems...

    Try emaling the seller and ask for your money back

    Paul
    www.obdpros.com

  7. #57
    pjw
    pjw is offline
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    Aha!

    The plot thickens..........

    Your integra should be OBDII since it's post 96.
    You've got a fair bit of hardware between your computer and the OBDII stream. If you don't have 12v on pin 16, I'd check your adapter and make sure it's making proper contact at both the vehicle connector and the elm 327 scanner connector.

    That's seem to be the most likely point of failure..........

    Cheers
    Last day's I've been kind of "reverse engineering" my (USB) ELM Adapter;
    I have a silver cased one with 5 led's (power, obd rx/tx and usb rx/tx).
    I opened the case an learned the following:

    - When connected to the USB only the usb -> rs232 chip (an FT232R) gets
    power. With the correct drivers installed you can write to the com port
    (dir > com3: ) and the usb/tx led wil respond; At this moment you know
    the drivers are ok;

    - The ELM chip only gets power from the car
    On my workbench I applied power to the obd connector (pin 16) and
    OBD tx/rx responds at startup. It's a bloody miracle: Scantool now
    responds with an "ECU time-out"; Connectiong with hyperterm or putty
    now also works;
    Note: Several sources on the internet state (and I also think it is in the
    datasheet of the ELM327 chip) that all led's on the interface should blink
    after each other at startup. At my USB-ELM only OBD rx/tx and power
    are blinking at startup. This is because the rs232 rx/tx led are not
    connected to the ELM327 chip (pin 25/25) but to the "usbt o rs232"-chip
    (FT232R).

    I still cannot explain why connected to the Car I don't have these results;
    The power led responds when I plugin to my car; Must have something
    to do with the 3-pin to obd2 adapter I bought; I measured the pins on the
    adapter but that seems to be ok; Maybe bad connection or low voltage ??
    Hope I can do some testing on the car connection tomorrow ....

    For now it great to see the led's blinking while the ELM is looking
    every once in a while for a car connection :-)

    Keep you posted !!

    PJW

  8. #58
    pjw
    pjw is offline
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    Aha!

    The plot thickens..........

    Your integra should be OBDII since it's post 96.
    You've got a fair bit of hardware between your computer and the OBDII stream. If you don't have 12v on pin 16, I'd check your adapter and make sure it's making proper contact at both the vehicle connector and the elm 327 scanner connector.

    That's seem to be the most likely point of failure..........

    Cheers

    Update !!
    The 3-pin to obd2 adapter I bought on ebay doesn't seem to work my integra;
    Ground and data seems to be turned around in the adapter; I now can connect
    to the ELM: the hyperterm trick works and also the software gives response
    but ..... the ELM doesn't connect tot the car now.

    Message in for instance the scanmaster software:

    "no connection to ECU -->> Last Error: UNABLE TO CONNECT"

    I have the data line from my car now connected to pin 7 of the obd2 connector.

    Suggestions ?

    PJW

  9. #59
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2
    I'm seeing a similar situation. Friend bought an ELM327 from ebay, not knowing much about computers etc. I don't know much about cars though ;-)

    So, testing on my Focus I don't get much from it:
    Power LED connects when connecting the unit to the ECU. Trying EasyOBD and setting to the correct COM port i see flashing of Computer RX/TX LED's, but nothing for the other 2 LED's. EasyOBD eventually comes back and says to check interface or power.

    Can't get anything over Hyperterminal (does anyone know the correct port settings? I've played about with baud from 9600 up to 38400, but that's it).

    PCM, scantool.net and scanmaster all give the same result (no ECU).

    Anyone have any ideas?

    Cheers.

  10. #60
    pjw
    pjw is offline
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by mckarnak View Post
    I'm seeing a similar situation. Friend bought an ELM327 from ebay, not knowing much about computers etc. I don't know much about cars though ;-)

    So, testing on my Focus I don't get much from it:
    Power LED connects when connecting the unit to the ECU. Trying EasyOBD and setting to the correct COM port i see flashing of Computer RX/TX LED's, but nothing for the other 2 LED's. EasyOBD eventually comes back and says to check interface or power.

    Can't get anything over Hyperterminal (does anyone know the correct port settings? I've played about with baud from 9600 up to 38400, but that's it).

    PCM, scantool.net and scanmaster all give the same result (no ECU).

    Anyone have any ideas?

    Cheers.

    - Connect with hyperterm on 9600 8 n 1
    - if the rx/tx flash when typing you know your usb drivers are ok
    - Next thing is to check if the ELM get's the correct power from the car:
    - what do you see in scanmaster when connecting ?
    - does the ELM reply with a message like:
    "ELM327 Chip detected"
    "Interface connected"
    and so on;

    If you see these messages you know you can talk to the ELM.
    If not there can be two things going on:
    1) The ELM is dead -> Bad luck
    2) The ELM does not get the right Power from the car
    Although the Power Led is burning this does not mean the ELM is
    right powered; I know this from my own experience; When wrongly
    connected the ELM can get power from a data line which is not
    enough to let the ELM work properly but is enough to flash the power LED;
    Measure the Voltage between pin 4/5 (ground) and pin 16 (+12V)
    on the OBD2 connector; If not 12V you are wrongly wired;

    I got my ELM powered correctly for now and can communicate with
    hyperterm/scanmaster and so on; My version of the ELM327 shows on
    startup of scanmaster also the message "Car battery voltage: 11,8V";
    At this point you know the ELM is correctly powered.
    At startup of the ELM you can see the OBD2 rx/tx flash one time.

    If you are at this stage only thing left is to get the ELM communicate
    to the car ECU; SCAN master show a message like "Please wait for connection";
    At this time my wiring is not ok so I get an error "Unable to connect";
    I have been playing around with the wiring and the protocol options in
    Scanmaster but no luck so far;

    Ooh euh ... make sure you turn the ignition key to "on" and the
    immobilizer of the car (if you have one) is turned off.

    All the above is my own experience; Hope this helps in your case .....

    PJW

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •