Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Adaptive Cruise Control

  1. #1
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    62

    Adaptive Cruise Control

    Is OBD-II read only or can you also set values?

    I was thinking of creating adaptive cruise control on my car. This would work by capturing the speed of the car in front continuously and then telling the cruise control to slow down if the car in front of you slows down (most likely i'll use ultra sound instead of laser).

    So, what do you guys think? Can the cruise control be modified via my carputer?

  2. #2
    Variable Bitrate Jistari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    243
    While I love this hobby, and would be the last to stifle experimentation :

    The absolute last thing I would do is give my car pc control of the vehicles rate of speed :-) Call me "old fasioned" but we all have seen those "that just cant be ?" moments when dealing with pc's and code where some extremely simple thing, which absolutely functions every time you use it, returns a value that is "wrong?".

    I dont know what you are driving, but it would significantly effect the outcome of a "glitch".

    In my "city car", a 95 Honda Civic with 4 cylinders that has a zero to 60 mph time of about three minutes (its so low its embarrassing when getting on the highway), if it decided that I should be doing 100 mph, I would have plenty of time to say "wtf?" and shut it off.

    In the vette, if I was doing 60 and it decided I should be doing 100, I'd be doing 100 in less than four seconds.

    GPS . . .great, where is a gas station . . .great, is it gonna rain . . .great, control of the accelerator . . .? . . .nah, Ill keep that one. Thanks
    PDP1170/TRS80/Atari800XL/Amiga500/286/486/P2/P4/C2D/i7 still a newb (but an old newb, been doing this a while) working my way up to "Complete Newb"

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinabl View Post
    Is OBD-II read only or can you also set values?

    I was thinking of creating adaptive cruise control on my car. This would work by capturing the speed of the car in front continuously and then telling the cruise control to slow down if the car in front of you slows down (most likely i'll use ultra sound instead of laser).

    So, what do you guys think? Can the cruise control be modified via my carputer?
    I'd love to see this! But only on YouTube! Hope you're not in my neck of the woods!

  4. #4
    Variable Bitrate Banderon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    425

    Thumbs up

    That is a very silly attitude, people. Half the functions in your car are already controlled by the car's built-in computer systems.

    I agree that you should definitely NOT let your carPC have any control over the car's primary functions. You're running an OS, you're running other programs, you're running a computer with mechanical parts; there is simply too much that can interfere or go wrong.

    However, I see nothing wrong with a hardware solution. You'd need a programmable microcontroller, some relays or actuators (depending on how your car is built), an input from the PC's OBD-II system for your speed, some hardware solution to gauge the distance/speed of the car in front of you, some electronics to prevent the system from sending out too high an accel signal (a potentiometer can let you set a higher signal on slow-accelerating cars, and lower on cars with a fast accel), and a killswitch wired to the brake pedal, ignition, the carPC, and a physical switch (just in case; and cause more buttons and switches always looks cool ).

    The only thing that prevented me from putting a working system together was the inability to find any sort of realizable laser/radar system to track the cars ahead of me.

  5. #5
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by Banderon View Post
    That is a very silly attitude, people. Half the functions in your car are already controlled by the car's built-in computer systems.

    I agree that you should definitely NOT let your carPC have any control over the car's primary functions. You're running an OS, you're running other programs, you're running a computer with mechanical parts; there is simply too much that can interfere or go wrong.

    However, I see nothing wrong with a hardware solution. You'd need a programmable microcontroller, some relays or actuators (depending on how your car is built), an input from the PC's OBD-II system for your speed, some hardware solution to gauge the distance/speed of the car in front of you, some electronics to prevent the system from sending out too high an accel signal (a potentiometer can let you set a higher signal on slow-accelerating cars, and lower on cars with a fast accel), and a killswitch wired to the brake pedal, ignition, the carPC, and a physical switch (just in case; and cause more buttons and switches always looks cool ).

    The only thing that prevented me from putting a working system together was the inability to find any sort of realizable laser/radar system to track the cars ahead of me.


    To each his own, but I'm pretty sure I couldn't afford the insurance premiums.

  6. #6
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    62
    I like the way Banderon thinks.

    Adaptive cruise controls are already out there on luxury cars. My civic needs to be in that category as well.

    The radar part is what i want help on.

  7. #7
    Variable Bitrate Jistari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    243
    I'm sorry guy, like I opened, I would be outta line offering a view that speaks to stifeling experimentation.

    The baseline truth in what I was attempting to say seems to be mirrored in your reply (although I would think a purpose built, simple black box that controlled everything about the adaptive control, no os, no involvement with the car pc) would probably be the safest (read most reliable) way to go.


    But by all means, have at it.

    Enjoy
    PDP1170/TRS80/Atari800XL/Amiga500/286/486/P2/P4/C2D/i7 still a newb (but an old newb, been doing this a while) working my way up to "Complete Newb"

  8. #8
    Variable Bitrate Jistari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    243
    Quote Originally Posted by Banderon View Post
    That is a very silly attitude, people. Half the functions in your car are already controlled by the car's built-in computer systems.
    One thing Brand, we call the modules in a car "computers" but they have more of a relationship with purpose built ic's than anything you would call a computer today. The majority of the "computer controlled" things in a car are a concert of very simple, specificaly designed, ic's that are hard coded, without an os. So they tend to work 1) pretty fast 2) "shoot it with a gun and it still works" reliably. They generaly work way above and below their design temps and they are set up to , by design, interact with each other to the smallest extent possible (so one system doesnt have to rely on another).

    I dont know, some people here have some pretty impressive credentials (and systems), but Im not sure the very best of those systems even remotely approach the durability or reliability of what automakers put in production vehicles.

    Just a thought.
    PDP1170/TRS80/Atari800XL/Amiga500/286/486/P2/P4/C2D/i7 still a newb (but an old newb, been doing this a while) working my way up to "Complete Newb"

  9. #9
    Fusion Brain Creator 2k1Toaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Colorado, but Canadian!
    Posts
    10,045
    Easiest way is just get a Lexus IS's Adaptive cruise system, and stick it in your car bypassing the CarPC. The IS is the smallest of the line that has it I believe. This is an absolutely awesome feature. Used it the other day in a friends GS on the interstate. Didnt have to touch the pedal from when I got on to when I got off. Always at a safe distance from the car ahead.
    Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
    1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
    30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
    Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

  10. #10
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by 2k1Toaster View Post
    Easiest way is just get a Lexus IS's Adaptive cruise system, and stick it in your car bypassing the CarPC. The IS is the smallest of the line that has it I believe. This is an absolutely awesome feature. Used it the other day in a friends GS on the interstate. Didnt have to touch the pedal from when I got on to when I got off. Always at a safe distance from the car ahead.
    After the "gee whiz" factor wears off, Adaptive Cruise Control quickly becomes the most useless feature imaginable, IMHO. Do you really want to be stuck behind Grandma as she dawdles down the Interstate at 45 MPH? Keeping station behind a 62-MPH-speed-governed big rig is not my idea of a pleasant drive, but to each his own I guess.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Complete bolt in Screen/CPU/HD/PS - indash
    By blk02si in forum Fabrication
    Replies: 777
    Last Post: 04-27-2010, 08:21 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-15-2008, 01:39 AM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-08-2008, 12:44 AM
  4. Audi 100 cruise control hack :)
    By jol in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-15-2002, 12:50 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •