Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: standalone controller based on CAN signal?

  1. #1
    Variable Bitrate Deric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    273

    standalone controller based on CAN signal?

    I have a 2006 Mustang and about a year ago I swapped all the green LEDs in the switches to blue ones to match the Mycolor option I usually have selected (Mycolor is an optional dash cluster that allows you to change the color of the cluster based on 5 level RGB combinations). I've been working on a LED driver that would allow me to basically select the level of RGB on a PLCC-4 led to accomplish the same results in the switches.

    Does anyone know if I would be able to isolate the CAN values for the RGB levels to set my controller? Also would I be able to create a controller to listen for these values and set them without a PC? Say a stand-alone option? I've discussed this on a few other sites and they say it might be possible but no one knows a definate answer even assuming the CAN-bus is used to set these values. I've seen some amazing stuff on this site especially CAN related stuff so I thought I would ask.

    -Deric

  2. #2
    VENDOR - ScanTool Vitaliy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    624
    Quote Originally Posted by Deric View Post
    I have a 2006 Mustang and about a year ago I swapped all the green LEDs in the switches to blue ones to match the Mycolor option I usually have selected (Mycolor is an optional dash cluster that allows you to change the color of the cluster based on 5 level RGB combinations). I've been working on a LED driver that would allow me to basically select the level of RGB on a PLCC-4 led to accomplish the same results in the switches.

    Does anyone know if I would be able to isolate the CAN values for the RGB levels to set my controller? Also would I be able to create a controller to listen for these values and set them without a PC? Say a stand-alone option? I've discussed this on a few other sites and they say it might be possible but no one knows a definate answer even assuming the CAN-bus is used to set these values. I've seen some amazing stuff on this site especially CAN related stuff so I thought I would ask.

    -Deric
    Deric, I think the first step would be to hook into the OBD bus, and see if you can capture and decipher the messages. Do you have an OBD-II interface?

    Best regards,

    Vitaliy
    OBDLink MX: world's smallest, fastest, most advanced OBD/Bluetooth adapter with SW and MS CAN support. Read the review to learn more.
    Need to look up a diagnostic trouble code? Try the most up-to-date, free DTCsearch.com!

    You cannot send me a private message using this forum. Use my email instead: vitaliy[@]scantool.net.

  3. #3
    Variable Bitrate Deric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    273
    Quote Originally Posted by vvmaks View Post
    Deric, I think the first step would be to hook into the OBD bus, and see if you can capture and decipher the messages. Do you have an OBD-II interface?

    Best regards,

    Vitaliy
    No I haven't decided on which device to go with. I'm a bit confused if I need a CAN only device or if any of the OBDII adapters will work. I wish there was a breakout of most the adapters and what is capable on here for OBDII newbies.

  4. #4
    VENDOR - OBDPros
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    359
    Any newer OBD II scantool such as the www.obdpros.com will support the CAN protocol, but before you spend money I would look at the schematics for the 06 Mustang and see if the Dash is CAN bus capable, most likely if the BCM has a CAN line and it controls the Mycolor you might be in luck but validating the schematic will be a quick way to double check that spending money on a scantool will help

    If you do not have access to the schematics let me know and I can look it up but will most likely be after the 16th

    Thanks
    Paul
    www.obdpros.com

  5. #5
    Variable Bitrate Deric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    273
    The medium speed CAN bus is present in the cluster but I'm unsure if it actually controls the Mycolor option. I've attached a PDF of the connector pin assignment.


    Quote Originally Posted by michbound View Post
    Any newer OBD II scantool such as the www.obdpros.com will support the CAN protocol, but before you spend money I would look at the schematics for the 06 Mustang and see if the Dash is CAN bus capable, most likely if the BCM has a CAN line and it controls the Mycolor you might be in luck but validating the schematic will be a quick way to double check that spending money on a scantool will help

    If you do not have access to the schematics let me know and I can look it up but will most likely be after the 16th

    Thanks
    Paul
    www.obdpros.com
    Attached Images Attached Images

  6. #6
    VENDOR - ScanTool Vitaliy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    624
    Quote Originally Posted by Deric View Post
    No I haven't decided on which device to go with. I'm a bit confused if I need a CAN only device or if any of the OBDII adapters will work. I wish there was a breakout of most the adapters and what is capable on here for OBDII newbies.
    Deric,

    Paul is right, you can use almost any OBD-II interface that is CAN-capable (including the ones sold on MP3Car.com). Consulting the schematic is also a great idea. Many public libraries let you use their ALLDATA account, for free.

    Best regards,

    Vitaliy
    OBDLink MX: world's smallest, fastest, most advanced OBD/Bluetooth adapter with SW and MS CAN support. Read the review to learn more.
    Need to look up a diagnostic trouble code? Try the most up-to-date, free DTCsearch.com!

    You cannot send me a private message using this forum. Use my email instead: vitaliy[@]scantool.net.

Similar Threads

  1. Hibernation / Resume issue with PhoCo
    By zorro in forum Centrafuse
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-09-2007, 01:21 AM
  2. Problem Identifying Touchscreen Controller
    By yingyang006 in forum Input Devices
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-08-2007, 09:01 PM
  3. mp3 player kit / controller based
    By Talldude4evr in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-05-2003, 09:02 AM
  4. FS: 8.4" LCD + Allen Ruble Controller + ...
    By infrared in forum Classified Archive
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-25-2002, 11:42 AM
  5. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-02-2002, 10:54 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •