Fuel economy / consumption for Diesel vehicles in DashCommand
I need the help of a few owners/drivers of Diesel fuel vehicles to do some basic data logging so I we can figure out how to accurately calculate fuel economy / consumption for Diesel engine vehicles. If you are interested please read on.
The next release of DashCommand will include a sophisticated fuel economy / fuel consumption dashboard that shows instantaneous fuel consumption and average fuel consumption over 18 periods of time. The periods are grouped into short term, medium term, and long term numbers which greatly aids in visualizing average fuel consumption over time and provides the means to change your driving habits, if you so wish, to reduce fuel consumption.
The gauge and the underlying calculations are working very well for gasoline powered vehicles but they don’t currently support Diesel fuel vehicles. A Diesel engine’s fuel metering system is not based on air mass like that of a gasoline engine and I need to develop a new set of fuel consumption calculations for Diesel engines.
I have a few ideas on how to do this but I need your help because I don’t have access to a wide variety of Diesel vehicles and I want to do this fast.
- Diesel engine vehicle, OBD-II / EOBD compliant with the following PIDs supported:
- MAP (manifold absolute pressure)
- IAT (intake air temperature)
- LOAD_ABS (absolute engine load)
- FUEL_RATE [optional]
- A laptop or carPC running Windows XP, Vista or 7.
- An OBD-II interface device, ELM 327 compatible such a ScanTool.net OBDLink, or an Innovate Motorsports OT-2 (Wifi mode).
- Less than 30 minutes of your time.
- A free license to DashCommand (a $50 value) or a license to ScanXL (a $100 value) if you already have purchased DashCommand.
- Access to the pre-release version of DashCommand so you can experience the new features before anyone else.
- Install the pre-release version of DashCommand
- Record a log file
- Send the log file via email.
- Possibly test the new fuel consumption calculations
I’m looking for a variety of vehicles, including trucks and cars, large and small, turbo and normally aspirated, old (1996-2003) and newer (2004-2010). If you are interested and want to help, please send me a PM or reply to this post and I'll set you up with the software you'll need.
Cheers and thanks for reading.