Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Non OBD solutions...

  1. #1
    Low Bitrate doig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    64

    Non OBD solutions...

    Its not really been discussed many times, other that a couple of very vauge mentions. Basically, there must be a way to do this for non obd cars. I'm not after something thats going to tell me that the car is 400 km overdue for a service or anything, just very simple and very basic speed and tacho.

    Solutions that are possible:

    Freq to voltage converters.
    Should be able to be used to work out tach pulses, and probably can be used to get speed too.

    OzTechnics kit
    Noone that i know of has had expirence with this and so i dont know how/if it will work. They dont have kits in stock at the moment and so i cant try this for myself.

    I'm sure that there are other people out there that are interested in this sort of thing that dont have OBD equipped cars. Hopefully people will see the obd fourum and catch on!

  2. #2
    Maximum Bitrate GingerPrince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Leeds, UK
    Posts
    533
    Quote Originally Posted by doig
    Its not really been discussed many times, other that a couple of very vauge mentions. Basically, there must be a way to do this for non obd cars. I'm not after something thats going to tell me that the car is 400 km overdue for a service or anything, just very simple and very basic speed and tacho.

    Solutions that are possible:

    Freq to voltage converters.
    Should be able to be used to work out tach pulses, and probably can be used to get speed too.

    OzTechnics kit
    Noone that i know of has had expirence with this and so i dont know how/if it will work. They dont have kits in stock at the moment and so i cant try this for myself.

    I'm sure that there are other people out there that are interested in this sort of thing that dont have OBD equipped cars. Hopefully people will see the obd fourum and catch on!
    The easiest way is to get a pulse signal into your line-in, and use/write softwar e to workout the frequency, and therefore rpm/speed from that.

    The best way is, if you can find it, to tap off a crank-angle-sensor signal from your car. For example in mine this is a 5 volt pulse, attenuate this down to 1 volt or so and feed into your line-in. Then have your software listen to this, and calculate engine rpm and whatever else you want.

    If you can't find this signal, you can get HT lead inductors that pick up the signal from your HT leads, and use that. This is a dirtier signal though and more prone to software error.

    These are the principals that software such as Home Dyno use to do power plots etc. I've done it, it worked, but I haven't integrated it into a car computer because it didn't really offer enough. I just played with a laptop a while ago.



    Sy

    GingerPrince

    Car changed for TVR Griffith 500, so computer de-installed. Using a Dension 100ix w/60Gb HD unit in the interim.

    Carputer Install - http://www.stuffandting.com/carputer/
    CarBox Software -- http://www.stuffandting.com/carbox/

  3. #3
    Newbie bizahh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    West Orange, NJ
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerPrince
    The easiest way is to get a pulse signal into your line-in, and use/write softwar e to workout the frequency, and therefore rpm/speed from that.

    The best way is, if you can find it, to tap off a crank-angle-sensor signal from your car. For example in mine this is a 5 volt pulse, attenuate this down to 1 volt or so and feed into your line-in. Then have your software listen to this, and calculate engine rpm and whatever else you want.

    If you can't find this signal, you can get HT lead inductors that pick up the signal from your HT leads, and use that. This is a dirtier signal though and more prone to software error.

    These are the principals that software such as Home Dyno use to do power plots etc. I've done it, it worked, but I haven't integrated it into a car computer because it didn't really offer enough. I just played with a laptop a while ago.



    Sy
    I have no idea what you just said but I want to know more

  4. #4
    Maximum Bitrate GingerPrince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Leeds, UK
    Posts
    533
    Quote Originally Posted by bizahh
    I have no idea what you just said but I want to know more
    Go ye here for a primer : -

    http://www.charm.net/~mchaney/homedyno/homedyno.htm

    GingerPrince

    Car changed for TVR Griffith 500, so computer de-installed. Using a Dension 100ix w/60Gb HD unit in the interim.

    Carputer Install - http://www.stuffandting.com/carputer/
    CarBox Software -- http://www.stuffandting.com/carbox/

  5. #5
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    2
    Hi i was wondering the same thing i have a 1994 nissan altiam and id love to extract infor from my ECU How can i? again?

  6. #6
    Maximum Bitrate SjLucky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Hattiesburg, Mississippi
    Posts
    750
    you dont have obdI on your nissan??
    thats odd
    Quote Originally Posted by menudude View Post
    thank you all for your help minus the useless post by sjlucky...

  7. #7
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    6

    Cool Nissan

    This may help nissan's with 14 pin plugs have not used it yet put looks like the goods.

    Hy-tek

    1991 nissan pulsar gti

    ps has any one tryed this and does any one have software for it ,I not a software person

  8. #8
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    2
    SJ LUCKY i have no idea ? all i know is if i would like to check error codes the come up as 3 long and 4 short blinks for code 34 etc. . . i jsut assume that since my car is under 1996 it cant be obdII , am i right?

  9. #9
    Maximum Bitrate SjLucky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Hattiesburg, Mississippi
    Posts
    750
    I would check up with the guys over at nissanforums.com
    they should know wiether its an obdI or an obdII
    Quote Originally Posted by menudude View Post
    thank you all for your help minus the useless post by sjlucky...

  10. #10
    FLAC ShawJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    On the edge!
    Posts
    1,790
    UK Nissan's after 96 have whats known as a Consult Port instead of OBDII standard.
    You need to build a Consult Interface board and source a set of cables, but don't ask where from as I don't know either. Plenty of site detailing Consult interface but non tell you where to get plugs/connectors from!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •