Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 52

Thread: Mercedes 2005 C230 Kompressor CAN bus Questions

  1. #11
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    335
    The "something" that takes over the canbus control for us would be a software program that would send the data to the canbus. How this would be done, i have no idea. Good thing I have lots of free time at work...
    ~Puff

    View my worklog... I dare you... http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/worklogs/77267-2003-audi-a4-worklog-puffs-ride.html

    Carputer Progress [||------------------] 10%

  2. #12
    Low Bitrate ImInSanDiego's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Isn't it obvious
    Posts
    93
    Do you know if there is CAN bus hardware that interfaces with a pc? Perhaps with a serial port or USB or ethernet. If something like this existed, it might be possible for me to write software to communicate on the Bus. I doubt this would be a small undertaking though and I know nothing about the bus.

  3. #13
    Constant Bitrate jac1502's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    148
    i have had no problms when i removed my headunit but it is the standard cd player but i assume all teh others would be the same except the ones with a fiber optic amp connection

  4. #14
    Constant Bitrate joeyoravec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Livonia, MI
    Posts
    205
    Quote Originally Posted by ImInSanDiego
    Do you know if there is CAN bus hardware that interfaces with a pc? Perhaps with a serial port or USB or ethernet. If something like this existed, it might be possible for me to write software to communicate on the Bus. I doubt this would be a small undertaking though and I know nothing about the bus.
    There's tons of hardware available. My company sells Mongoose ISO/CAN for $195 which is a great choice. When you're shopping look for something that has a standard (J2534) device driver. Also make sure that it implements ISO15765 in hardware; otherwise your life will be difficult.

    As long as you have your car there, just hookup and sniff the bus. Watch what your headunit does, reverse engineer the messages, and replicate them yourself.

  5. #15
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    335
    I found this hardware interface. It comes with a can-bus scanner and claims that you can send and receive all types of can-bus data. Think it may work?

    http://www.canusb.com/
    ~Puff

    View my worklog... I dare you... http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=77267

    Carputer Progress [||------------------] 10%

  6. #16
    Low Bitrate ImInSanDiego's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Isn't it obvious
    Posts
    93
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyoravec
    There's tons of hardware available. My company sells Mongoose ISO/CAN for $195 which is a great choice. When you're shopping look for something that has a standard (J2534) device driver. Also make sure that it implements ISO15765 in hardware; otherwise your life will be difficult.

    As long as you have your car there, just hookup and sniff the bus. Watch what your headunit does, reverse engineer the messages, and replicate them yourself.

    This actually looks like a great option. I see that a DLL is provided and I would be able to write my own stuff easily as I'm a Labview programmer. Do you know if any Labview code has been done that already interfaces with the DLL?

  7. #17
    Low Bitrate ImInSanDiego's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Isn't it obvious
    Posts
    93
    Quote Originally Posted by Puffanug
    I found this hardware interface. It comes with a can-bus scanner and claims that you can send and receive all types of can-bus data. Think it may work?

    http://www.canusb.com/

    This also provides an ActiveX interface and source code for Labview which would get me started quickly. Looks like there are a lot of options for CAN. Now if I could find a list of all codes and messages for my mercedes.

  8. #18
    Low Bitrate ImInSanDiego's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Isn't it obvious
    Posts
    93
    Quote Originally Posted by jac1502
    i have had no problms when i removed my headunit but it is the standard cd player but i assume all teh others would be the same except the ones with a fiber optic amp connection

    What year/model is your mercedes?

  9. #19
    Low Bitrate ImInSanDiego's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Isn't it obvious
    Posts
    93
    Quote Originally Posted by jac1502
    I know this is old but i have just finished my car computer and i want to get my steering volume controls working, have any luck?

    Any pictures of your install?

  10. #20
    Constant Bitrate joeyoravec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Livonia, MI
    Posts
    205
    That CanUSB looks like a creepy-little-box with a proprietary serial protocol. If it's using an ASCII protocol and a virtual COM port driver, I doubt it can keep up with full bandwidth CAN. Also it doesn't seem to implement ISO15765 in hardware. How would you ever implement that in software and get sub-millisecond turnaround??

    You'd be better off buying a Mongoose or some other standard (SAE J2534) interface. If you start off with that CanUSB you'll spend a ton of time writing software to their half-baked serial protocol, and can't reuse your work with another vendor's equipment. In contrast a J2534 device provides a standard driver DLL with functions to connect, read, write, send periodic messages, etc so you can link against any driver. It's as easy as switching printers.

    Too bad you're not in the Detroit area. I'm giving a presentation tomorrow at the Detroit LabVIEW Users Group on vehicle communication with LabVIEW. I developed a (free) LabVIEW driver for PassThru vehicle networking. It works great with Mongoose.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Mercedes 2005 C230 Kompressor CAN bus Questions
    By ImInSanDiego in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-11-2010, 11:01 PM
  2. 2005 Lincoln Navigator CAN Bus
    By techy101 in forum Engine Management, OBD-II, Engine Diagnostics, etc.
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-17-2007, 11:39 PM
  3. 2005 Land Rover LR3 - How to Input Video to Nav Screen on MOST Bus
    By joedavenport in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 01-27-2007, 08:02 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-04-2005, 10:15 AM
  5. Some questions for Experts (Mercedes Install)
    By Longkesh in forum LCD/Display
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-23-2004, 08:25 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •