Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Is this already possible??

  1. #1
    Variable Bitrate CARLOS_CET's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    303

    Is this already possible??

    Sorry if I'm repeating this. I looked around but didn't find anything similar.
    So what I do is put whole albums on my server and than they get copied to my client (car). I'll listen to the album and than delete any songs that I don't like. The problem is that the next time I'm doing a sync, the server sees that the client is now missing those songs that I deleted and adds them again. Is it possible to set it up so that the server sees what files I deleted from the client and than deletes them from the server.

    Let me know if that doens't make sense and I'll try to better explain it. Thanks.
    Car PC Progress

    (>>>>>>>>>>>>---) 90%


    "Don't speak about it, be about it"


  2. #2
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    265
    Quote Originally Posted by CARLOS_CET
    Sorry if I'm repeating this. I looked around but didn't find anything similar.
    So what I do is put whole albums on my server and than they get copied to my client (car). I'll listen to the album and than delete any songs that I don't like. The problem is that the next time I'm doing a sync, the server sees that the client is now missing those songs that I deleted and adds them again. Is it possible to set it up so that the server sees what files I deleted from the client and than deletes them from the server.

    Let me know if that doens't make sense and I'll try to better explain it. Thanks.
    You want a 'mirror client' function - no it doesn't have that. I think if this existed you might never get files to transfer from the server!

    It does however have a 'mirror server' function so if you delete the files on your server rather than on your car, next time you sync they will be deleted from the car.

    Ric.

  3. #3
    Fusion Brain Creator 2k1Toaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Colorado, but Canadian!
    Posts
    10,053
    maybe make some sort of a log file that takes the exact file name you deleted and then stores that on your car. When you sync, it passes the log file first and then while syncing have some code that is "add to car if title is not in log file".

    Just an idea, no idea how hard to implement or how much slower it would be.

  4. #4
    Variable Bitrate CARLOS_CET's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    303
    Sounds like a good idea but I'm not sure how I can do that. I don't have to much knowledge in writing up stuff like that. The only other thing that I can think of is setting up my carpc as the server and doing a mirror sync. But that kind of defeats the purpose. Ahh!!!
    Car PC Progress

    (>>>>>>>>>>>>---) 90%


    "Don't speak about it, be about it"


  5. #5
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    265
    Quote Originally Posted by CARLOS_CET
    Sounds like a good idea but I'm not sure how I can do that. I don't have to much knowledge in writing up stuff like that. The only other thing that I can think of is setting up my carpc as the server and doing a mirror sync. But that kind of defeats the purpose. Ahh!!!
    The answer is in my earlier post.

  6. #6
    Variable Bitrate CARLOS_CET's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    303
    Quote Originally Posted by ric355
    The answer is in my earlier post.
    I see what your saying with the mirror server setup but the thing is that I only listen to the music while in my car, so that's when I start to delete songs that I don't like.

    How hard would it be to setup ezsync with a mirror client function. I would be willing to test it out and look for bugs.
    Car PC Progress

    (>>>>>>>>>>>>---) 90%


    "Don't speak about it, be about it"


  7. #7
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    265
    Quote Originally Posted by CARLOS_CET
    I see what your saying with the mirror server setup but the thing is that I only listen to the music while in my car, so that's when I start to delete songs that I don't like.

    How hard would it be to setup ezsync with a mirror client function. I would be willing to test it out and look for bugs.
    I'm not developing it any further for the time being.

    Also I like the fact that at present the server does not currently contain any code for deleting files. One of the reasons people can rely on ezsync is because the server never deletes files, so no matter what goes wrong on the client side the server's files will always be there as a backup. This was kindof the original premise behind the product - your server is the master copy.

  8. #8
    Variable Bitrate CARLOS_CET's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    303
    Ok, thats cool. So, if I setup my car as the server and my home pc as the client:

    Can I still add all my new music to my home pc (client) and have it update those new files to the car (server) if I do a mirror setup? If that's possible that that's all I need. Thanks for you help.
    Car PC Progress

    (>>>>>>>>>>>>---) 90%


    "Don't speak about it, be about it"


  9. #9
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    265
    Quote Originally Posted by CARLOS_CET
    Ok, thats cool. So, if I setup my car as the server and my home pc as the client:

    Can I still add all my new music to my home pc (client) and have it update those new files to the car (server) if I do a mirror setup? If that's possible that that's all I need. Thanks for you help.
    The principle for mirror server is that the files on the client should always end up the same as those on the server after a sync has completed. This means that any new files need to be copied onto the server in the first place (which in your case would end up being the car) rather than the client. If you put them on your home PC and are running this 'reverse' setup they will just get deleted because they aren't on the disk where your server is running.

  10. #10
    Variable Bitrate CARLOS_CET's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    303
    Thanks for the help ric. It looks like I might end up setting up the car as the server and put all the new music on the car. That way I can just delete what I don't want from the car and have it do the same on the home (client) pc. I think I must have repeated you and myself for the past 3 posts. Thanks again for the help. I love the software.
    Car PC Progress

    (>>>>>>>>>>>>---) 90%


    "Don't speak about it, be about it"


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •