View Poll Results: How should the second row screens be done?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Add them to the doors, like pictured

    5 35.71%
  • Add them to the seats

    6 42.86%
  • I'll post what I think you should do

    1 7.14%
  • Dont add any screens

    2 14.29%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 29 of 29

Thread: Help me design my truck. Ideas needed!

  1. #21
    Who am I? HiJackZX1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    6,557
    Quote Originally Posted by rdholtz View Post
    I still like the idea of the wireless touchscreen that can be passed around -- or even a wired touchscreen that could be passed around. That way, there's no battle for control of the 19-inch screen; the person with the touchscreen is in control.

    Or just use a remote control for the big screen, and let the passengers pass it around. That's cheaper and easier, but it's admittedly not as impressive as a bunch of small touchscreens. It's still way better than what my backseat passengers get (mine get no entertainment except music, unless they bring their own).
    I like the idea, but what scared me is the charging of the battery and the fact that i just don't like how the MiMo looks. It scrolls weird, just something about it. Also the screen FO did with the wireless VGA adapter rather then the hub, was way too bulky. Another thing is that, say we are doing night driving and all the people in the back want to sleep but one. All others just hit power on their screens and that one person can do his thing with wireless headphones on. At this point my budget has been destroyed and trying to take control of it now is pointless. I'm already way to deep with this project to worry about it. Mind you, with the economy being messed up, I have had to dramatically slow down the pace. Thankfully I will be done paying off one of my cars at the end of the year and that will allow me to redirect that money to my truck..

    LOL on the last part. Usually I am a very inconsiderate person, but when it came to my PC install, I took every passenger into account. I think the reason is because I really want to push the Car PC vision and show how much better and more it can do then a standard radio/multimedia setup. I want my truck to be the model of things to come.

    Quote Originally Posted by skeet2331 View Post
    My concerns with the door is the shutting of the door over and over again. What would that do to the screen over time?
    With a strong enough bracket I think it will become very stable. Depending on the thickness of the bracket, there will be no bend or flex. Then add Nexson's plastic and fiberglassing to make it look like it should be there, you pretty much have a solid setup. I am just thankful that the EBY701 was updated to LED, because a CCFL screen would break very easily. Other then that, I don't see anything else that could happen.
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

    1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

  2. #22
    Constant Bitrate avengerki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    160
    I like the pillar Idea.
    Avengerki
    PC Install: 85%
    Car PC: Revo-Sys X300 Double Din: 1.3GHz Pentium
    Software install and setup: 35%
    Entertainment Package: 85%

  3. #23
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    7
    I just found your thread. I was just looking for info on how to build my own fiberglass box for a sub and amp in the back of my 01 durango (same color and trim as yours) without using up any cargo space and still being able to fold the seats up and down and use the storage compartment in the back.

    I'm VERY impressed with all the work you've done on this rig! I hadn't even heard of carputers and I'm starting to get all kinds of ideas.

    Anyway, back to the survey, I also like your idea of mounting the smaller touch screens to the c pillars and the back doors. A sturdy mounting bracket should be plenty strong to hold the screens and the repeated opening and closing of the door shouldn't impact the screens too much because they're on the hinge side and won't be moving very far or fast when opening or closing the door. While they're not very necessary, they're WAY cool and you seem to have all the know-how to get it working. I'm enjoying seeing how you wire everything and get it all set up. Good job.

  4. #24
    Who am I? HiJackZX1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    6,557
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireman View Post
    I just found your thread. I was just looking for info on how to build my own fiberglass box for a sub and amp in the back of my 01 durango (same color and trim as yours) without using up any cargo space and still being able to fold the seats up and down and use the storage compartment in the back.

    I'm VERY impressed with all the work you've done on this rig! I hadn't even heard of carputers and I'm starting to get all kinds of ideas.

    Anyway, back to the survey, I also like your idea of mounting the smaller touch screens to the c pillars and the back doors. A sturdy mounting bracket should be plenty strong to hold the screens and the repeated opening and closing of the door shouldn't impact the screens too much because they're on the hinge side and won't be moving very far or fast when opening or closing the door. While they're not very necessary, they're WAY cool and you seem to have all the know-how to get it working. I'm enjoying seeing how you wire everything and get it all set up. Good job.
    Well you helped me find this thread again too, thanx for looking out.

    Here is how it all played out. The dash will still get the custom EBY701 units, but as far as the second row, I decided to go the traditional route and buy two Lilliput VGA headrest screens. The reason I did this is because the opening and closing of the doors would kill the screens alot faster. As for the 3rd row screens, I am still getting 2 more EBY701 screens, and these will be mounted in the rear pillars. I cant use headrest screens because my car has retardedly small ones, set up with weird spacing.

    Well with my install I had to sacrifice space in the back. I really didn't want to because of my Dogs (4 of them), but it had to be done. I took about 25% space away, but I will only have 2 dogs by the time my car pc is done (one is old and dying and the other will be re-homed, he was a stray but I kept him to keep the company of the old dog) Once they are gone, it will just be my big boys and with the seats folded down, they will have tons of room. Also my center console in the second row will take up room, but not much. Its so hard to design a car with so much $h!+ to put in, but still make it usable for daily use.

    Cant wait to see how your Durango turns out!
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

    1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

  5. #25
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    7
    I saw that you lost a little bit of room for all your thin clients, but it looks like it will work out well! I'm hoping to get started on my Fiberglass box early next week. I'll take pictures along the way and post how it goes. I spent about 7 hours reading your whole thread on Sunday and am quite impressed. I especially like the front dash.

  6. #26
    Who am I? HiJackZX1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    6,557
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireman View Post
    I saw that you lost a little bit of room for all your thin clients, but it looks like it will work out well! I'm hoping to get started on my Fiberglass box early next week. I'll take pictures along the way and post how it goes. I spent about 7 hours reading your whole thread on Sunday and am quite impressed. I especially like the front dash.
    Thanx..... I wish I was the one that did it though, Nexson did that for me. The top of the dash is still on the drawing board.
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

    1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

  7. #27
    Low Bitrate IssaquahWA1979's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Issaquah Washington
    Posts
    100
    Glad your not going with the door mounts I think you would not be happy in the end with durability there is a lot of shock when slamming a door. Even as big as my RAM mount is for my monitor if I hit a pot hole hard enough I can see the shock into the monitor mount. Also for sake of security with them right at the door sill I think smash and grab would become much more likely as they would not even have to enter the vehicle... You do great work and are an inspiration for thinking outside of the box...
    Custom Built Intel D510MO, 2GB RAM, M4-ATX, Elios 15" TS on custom mount.
    System installed into 2005 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins Diesel 4x4.

    I can provide Custom fabrication for mounts or installation please contact me. CNC Machining and Powder Coating

  8. #28
    Who am I? HiJackZX1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    6,557
    Quote Originally Posted by IssaquahWA1979 View Post
    Glad your not going with the door mounts I think you would not be happy in the end with durability there is a lot of shock when slamming a door. Even as big as my RAM mount is for my monitor if I hit a pot hole hard enough I can see the shock into the monitor mount. Also for sake of security with them right at the door sill I think smash and grab would become much more likely as they would not even have to enter the vehicle... You do great work and are an inspiration for thinking outside of the box...
    Thanx for the kind words. I agree, that is one of the things I was really worried about. I live in Miami, and breakins are common place. This is the main reason i went with a all in one setup. By me having them all in the back, it can be secured with a heavy cover that requires you to take out heavy bolts. I did the same thing with the center console. The screens will of course not be visible except the one screen in the front dash. The other 2 fold into the dash and the rear screens will not be seen because I am manipulating the law to get full black outs for the rear windows. That should make everything nice and secure. Plus I am not going cheap with the car alarm, if I have to, i'll have flames come out the sides and burn the robber to death.
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

    1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

  9. #29
    Raw Wave
    Auto Apps:loading...
    justchat_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Boston, Ma or NY,NY
    Posts
    1,783
    Quote Originally Posted by HiJackZX1 View Post
    I am manipulating the law to get full black outs for the rear windows.
    As in ignoring? or is there a good loophole?

    Quote Originally Posted by HiJackZX1 View Post
    Plus I am not going cheap with the car alarm, if I have to, i'll have flames come out the sides and burn the robber to death.
    well that gets my vote...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. Woot! Fab ideas needed for Mitsu Mirage 01.
    By DeconIV in forum Newbie
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-26-2006, 07:38 AM
  2. Newbie, Thoughts and Ideas needed.
    By webspeedway in forum Newbie
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-02-2005, 10:34 AM
  3. Megane CC Ideas - Help needed
    By Ze_rho in forum Newbie
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-22-2005, 08:55 AM
  4. CarPC Brainstorming Ideas
    By Bugbyte in forum General MP3Car Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-27-2004, 03:40 PM
  5. help with ideas for a total homebrew mp3 car player
    By acidic in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-12-2002, 12:02 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •