Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: How to cut little rectangles out of PC case

  1. #1
    FLAC
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,024

    How to cut little rectangles out of PC case

    Looking to add a few more usb port onto the side of my carpc case. it's a metal and seems quite tough. Would the Dremmel be the right tool? Looking to make decently clean cuts.
    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Neither darque nor pervert DarquePervert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Posts
    13,949
    A dremel and a steady hand.
    Go slowly and let the cutting wheel do the work.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?



    Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

  3. #3
    FLAC
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,024
    The little metal wheel is what i'm looking for right?

  4. #4
    Neither darque nor pervert DarquePervert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Posts
    13,949
    If you mean the metal-cutting wheel that is impregnated with fiberglass strands (I believe that's what they are!), then yes.
    You can use the regular cutting wheels, too, but they will wear out faster.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?



    Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

  5. #5
    Raw Wave
    Auto Apps:loading...
    justchat_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Boston, Ma or NY,NY
    Posts
    2,359
    Regular cutting wheels can also shatter so its probably better to go with a metal cutting wheel. The metal cut off wheels are either diamond (the good ones) or fiberglass and should be alot more durable.

  6. #6
    Variable Bitrate hailrazer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Columbus, Georgia
    Posts
    366
    Even with a dremel with cutting wheel, you will want to have a nice file set on hand. Cut the rectangle just a tad small and then file it to perfection.

  7. #7
    Confusion Master
    Auto Apps:loading...
    Enforcer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    If you go down to the woods today, You're sure of
    Posts
    14,622
    Personally I would use a drill bit the diameter of the width to drill out most of the slot and then use the files.

    Maybe use the cutting tool mentioned above if you have left a lot of metal between the holes made by the drill.

  8. #8
    FLAC
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,024
    Quote Originally Posted by DarquePervert View Post
    If you mean the metal-cutting wheel that is impregnated with fiberglass strands (I believe that's what they are!), then yes.
    You can use the regular cutting wheels, too, but they will wear out faster.
    Found them, mine is a little bit too big for a small hole.

    Quote Originally Posted by justchat_1 View Post
    Regular cutting wheels can also shatter so its probably better to go with a metal cutting wheel. The metal cut off wheels are either diamond (the good ones) or fiberglass and should be alot more durable.
    yeah i have the fibraglass one.

    Quote Originally Posted by hailrazer View Post
    Even with a dremel with cutting wheel, you will want to have a nice file set on hand. Cut the rectangle just a tad small and then file it to perfection.
    yeah i'll use the dremmel's grinding blocks to file it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Enforcer View Post
    Personally I would use a drill bit the diameter of the width to drill out most of the slot and then use the files.

    Maybe use the cutting tool mentioned above if you have left a lot of metal between the holes made by the drill.
    I think i'm going with this one, i have a drill bit just the right size. and i'll finish with the grinding blocks.

  9. #9
    Low Bitrate RonsRed88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Western Washington State
    Posts
    93
    I bought one of these yesterday from Harbor Freight Tools. It says use a 3/8 inch pilot hole which is a little too big for USB so I used 1/4 inch and squared it off with some needle files and then used the tool.

    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=97636

    I cut some perfect rectangles in light sheet metal. Should work great for plastic too if it isn't too thick.

    Ron

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-02-2007, 05:32 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •