Since ill be working on my pod for most of the weekend, ill go ahead and post my door panels, these are the first set of door panels iv tried to make, if i could go back i would have probably done it a little different to keep the weight down (IE Foam), but im still happy with the way they turned out.
The components im using in this build is a total of 4 sets of arc audio fd6000's i believe is the model number.
These are the fresh, clean stockies ready to modify
I actually left most of the door alone, but i cut out enough room to be able to mount my components into, and taped up the areas to give a shape to mold to, added some chopped matte and resin and cut out some 6.5" rings to mold to.
*the rings werent mounted crooked like this, it was still in test fit mode level 1)
I wanted to show off my crossovers since they are nice and pretty looking so i just made a rounded rectangle shape out of 1/4 mdf, and made a 1/4" ring around it to make a lip and made a tapering edge with some body filler.
This is the basic layout of what will be the final placement of everything, with a nice aluminum arc audio accent piece at the bottom.
I wrapped the panel in fleece and added my fiberglass
Originally i was planning on making more of a pod to add to the exterior of the door instead of mold into the door which i changed later and i did like better.
loved the shape though
everything fit juuuuust right and juuuust barely without hitting the seat, i ended up not being able to keep my window crank so i added power window motors later but dont really need to be in this build imo.
This is the point where i changed my mind and wanted a smoothe molded panel so i just fleeced over the original panel while attached and added a layer of fiberglass over it and sanded it down again.
And after all that, i took the liberty upon myself to give the upholstery portion of this a try and realized i can handle adding some foam, and covering the flat pieces on top (even though you cant really tell the velvets there) but should leave the rest to a professional, my appointment is in mid june and thats when they will be covered, but until then this is how they will remmain in the saftey of the house.
The empty rectangular space will be foamed before upholstery, the wiring just needs to be removed and foam added to the inside of the pods for better dampening.
Thats all for now, next updates will be the ceiling pod, usb hub molded into cig tray and extra battery in rear, let me know what you think so far