Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 144

Thread: Fiberglassing Tips?

  1. #121
    Maximum Bitrate Naamanf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    508
    Quote Originally Posted by Nskforlife View Post

    they told me to go so www.selectproducts.com and get the glass and resin and mold cloth and rings there. they told me this cause they said that resin is supposed to be flipped upside down every 30 days or it will seditate at the bottom. and their mold cloth is Really thick and strectchable. so if you wanna save yourself some aches and pains, get the speaker rings, mold cloth, and resin n hardener there. they specialize in it unlike home depot who doesn't even know where fiberslass is located at in the store.

    i'm also looking for a review on the 12volt resource.com's resource cd and is it really worth it. thanks.
    Try uscomposites.com for the mat and resin. As for the mold fabric, not any better than fleece from Walmart or any fabric store. If you have a router you can make your own rings with a circle jig.
    2007 Tahoe
    Opus with iBase 896 and Pentium M 735 Transflective Xenarc Alpine DVA-9861, PXA-H900, Sinfoni 45X2 (2) 90x2, Genesis Dual Mono, JL 1000/1 (2), Focal Be tweeters, ScanSpeak Revelator Mids, Dynaudio MW170, Dayton 12" Ref.

    My Install

  2. #122
    Constant Bitrate 98EXL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Maryland, USA
    Posts
    152
    Quote Originally Posted by Naamanf View Post
    Try uscomposites.com for the mat and resin. As for the mold fabric, not any better than fleece from Walmart or any fabric store. If you have a router you can make your own rings with a circle jig.

    Molded Screen:
    [++++++----] 60%
    DVD & Rest of audio:
    [++++++----] 60%


    2004 Accord Coupe, Satin Silver K24 5 Speed powa!

    7" Lilliput Screen, non touch with lots of Bondo
    NTB DVD player or put XBOX in car

    My 04 Accord Picture Thread

  3. #123
    Newbie Nskforlife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Nashville Tn
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Naamanf View Post
    Try uscomposites.com for the mat and resin. As for the mold fabric, not any better than fleece from Walmart or any fabric store. If you have a router you can make your own rings with a circle jig.
    lol dude, if hifibuys recommanded it, i'm gonna get my stuff there. yes, that mat at us composites has different weights. but that mold fabric is like 1/2 inch thick, stretchy, and worked good enough for them to recommend it to me. not that us composites doesn't have stuff that works, but i know the people at hifibuys know what they are talking about, and have the experience to back it up. they didn't win first place at car shows just cause it's a porsche. they have blood, sweat, and tears put into it. if you only saw the details put into this car. the hood had a mirror on the underside with an etching of how the sound system is set up and what it has. that was made in-house. and it's backlit by red florescent lighting. they've built enough boxes for me to go with what they say without hesitating. i not that i'm sayinganyone here is wrong, and that people can give you a good explanation to back up their ideas, but how many of you have 20+ years experience, a full time job doing it, and have a show car that has won 1st place for appearance without touching the engine bay...???

  4. #124
    Maximum Bitrate Naamanf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    508
    Wow. Did you say neon? Why don't you just go hang out with them. And wipe off your chin while your at it. Just trying to save you a couple bucks, but obviously you don't care. I use Select for stuff I can't get anywhere else. US Composites is cheaper and I gurantee they go through more resin than Select so it's going to be fresher and last longer. It's not "mold fabric" it's cheap *** fleece. ****s $1 a yard at walmart. And build your own rings. Then they are the exact size you need.
    2007 Tahoe
    Opus with iBase 896 and Pentium M 735 Transflective Xenarc Alpine DVA-9861, PXA-H900, Sinfoni 45X2 (2) 90x2, Genesis Dual Mono, JL 1000/1 (2), Focal Be tweeters, ScanSpeak Revelator Mids, Dynaudio MW170, Dayton 12" Ref.

    My Install

  5. #125
    Maximum Bitrate Sidewalksalvage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NJ/RI
    Posts
    826
    Quote Originally Posted by Naamanf View Post
    Wow. Did you say neon? Why don't you just go hang out with them. And wipe off your chin while your at it. Just trying to save you a couple bucks, but obviously you don't care. I use Select for stuff I can't get anywhere else. US Composites is cheaper and I gurantee they go through more resin than Select so it's going to be fresher and last longer. It's not "mold fabric" it's cheap *** fleece. ****s $1 a yard at walmart. And build your own rings. Then they are the exact size you need.
    Tough words but as the information goes i completely agree
    NSK thanks for giving us a place to look for supplies but dont expect us to actually buy from them. For one most of us dont have the funds to buy highly expensive mold fabric.

    I mean go right ahead yourself no one will stop you. But i certainly will not. Are you making your car for show and competition and all that? Or is this, like most of us, for personal enjoyment and show off to your friends? Cuz if its the latter i would not bother spending so much for fabric. Its not the fabric that will ultimatly be supporting your box... thats what the fiberglass is for. Its jsut to get a nice contoured shape for you to build on.

    So long story short, as long as your fabric can absorb a good about of resin to make a good starting shell it will work.
    Brown 2010

  6. #126
    Maximum Bitrate Naamanf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    508
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewalksalvage View Post
    For one most of us dont have the funds to buy highly expensive mold fabric.

    Cuz if its the latter i would not bother spending so much for fabric.
    What I am trying to say is there is nothing special about the Select fabric. I have a couple of yards and it is no different that cheap Walmart fleece.
    2007 Tahoe
    Opus with iBase 896 and Pentium M 735 Transflective Xenarc Alpine DVA-9861, PXA-H900, Sinfoni 45X2 (2) 90x2, Genesis Dual Mono, JL 1000/1 (2), Focal Be tweeters, ScanSpeak Revelator Mids, Dynaudio MW170, Dayton 12" Ref.

    My Install

  7. #127
    Maximum Bitrate Naamanf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    508
    Quote Originally Posted by Nskforlife View Post
    lol dude, if hifibuys recommanded it, i'm gonna get my stuff there.
    You also have to remember they are a business. They are going to charge the guy with the Porche $60 of the gallon they bought for $40. It's much easier for them to order from one place because they are going to make money on what they order anyways. Your not.
    2007 Tahoe
    Opus with iBase 896 and Pentium M 735 Transflective Xenarc Alpine DVA-9861, PXA-H900, Sinfoni 45X2 (2) 90x2, Genesis Dual Mono, JL 1000/1 (2), Focal Be tweeters, ScanSpeak Revelator Mids, Dynaudio MW170, Dayton 12" Ref.

    My Install

  8. #128
    Maximum Bitrate Sidewalksalvage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NJ/RI
    Posts
    826
    Quote Originally Posted by Naamanf View Post
    What I am trying to say is there is nothing special about the Select fabric. I have a couple of yards and it is no different that cheap Walmart fleece.
    Quote Originally Posted by Naamanf View Post
    You also have to remember they are a business. They are going to charge the guy with the Porche $60 of the gallon they bought for $40. It's much easier for them to order from one place because they are going to make money on what they order anyways. Your not.
    Ahhhh ic what you are saying about the fleece now.

    And yeah they can probably buy **** for dirt cheep and in large bulk but if we were to buy it, we would pay an arm and a leg

    And just because someone recommends it doesnt mean its the end all. Everyone has their preferences. I saw one AMAZING install where the guy used bottom of the line shark patterend (meaning it has pictures of sharks all over it) fleece his grandma had laying around.

    Also if this is your first install do you REALLy want to spend a load of money and then half way through **** the whole thing up and have to start over.

    I would buy walmart or other similar fleece just because if you mess up you havent also lost a load of cash.
    Brown 2010

  9. #129
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    27
    The best advice I can give for anyone is to not use matte fiberglass and fleece. I've seen way too many people make the mistake of using matte fiberglass when it only makes their job harder. Stick to fiberglass weave, and use spandex instead of fleece. Spandex stretches to shape much better then fleece, and it doesn't absorb nearly as much resin that fleece does. You want fiberglass for strength, not fleece.

  10. #130
    Maximum Bitrate Sidewalksalvage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NJ/RI
    Posts
    826
    Quote Originally Posted by megalomania View Post
    The best advice I can give for anyone is to not use matte fiberglass and fleece. I've seen way too many people make the mistake of using matte fiberglass when it only makes their job harder. Stick to fiberglass weave, and use spandex instead of fleece. Spandex stretches to shape much better then fleece, and it doesn't absorb nearly as much resin that fleece does.
    Ive heard of using spandex but never thought for myself. How does it stack up price wise? Is the stretchablitiy and such worth the extra buck?

    You want fiberglass for strength, not fleece.
    Could not have said it better myself
    Brown 2010

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •