Converting Lilliput EBY701 to slot-load 1-DIN screen
This thread outlines how I converted a cheap $20 1-DIN screen to a Lilliput EBY701, on a serious budget.
I bought an EBY701 in 2008 and mounted in-dash in my BMW E30. Here's the original thread for those interested.
The trouble was I retrofitted A/C, and the physical bulk behind the dash meant that I had to return the dash layout to stock. That meant that if I wanted to keep my carPC I'd need a 1-DIN solution.
I looked around at the options, but baulked at the prices: hundreds of dollars for a slot-load screen, when I already had a decent (if somewhat scratched) lilliput sitting on my workbench. So I looked around for alternatives.
I stumbled across a cheap-as-chips slot-load screen. Used, broken, sold for $20. I snapped it up and set about dismantling it.
Standard fare: power supply in the main box, simple LCD in the front, accepting two different RCA inputs (no VGA). The screen was primitive but the construction was sturdy, so I set about ripping it to pieces:
This will look all too familiar for experienced fabricators. The original EBY-701, in CCFL rather than LCD flavour. Since its so old it has very little resale value (especially with the annoying scratch I put on the touchscreen layer). And because selling it would recoup relatively little money compared to the cost of a new screen, I figured I might as well take it apart and at least try to make it fit. Even if I kill it I've had 5 good years' use out of it, so it's not a huge loss. Here goes: